• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Satellite TV - DirectTV v Dish - Opinions

Made the switch to DirecTV from Comcast - ordered Sunday, install is happening as I type.

Fittingly, when I canceled with Comcast it went like this - phone rep tries to sell me another bundle to keep my TV and internet; when I refuse the TV service, he glibly tells me he can't help me on my Internet price (despite my threat to pull it too) and then tells me what the increase will be to the same level of service I currently have (I upgraded to a faster service, but already factored that into my decision and I still am saving good $$$ over the next 2 years); the rep also tells me I won't get my upgraded Internet service till I return my TV boxes, which I mistakenly interpret to mean all changes - including cancellation of my TV service - won't take effect till they are returned; I get home to find TV service already terminated; I return TV boxes this AM to local Comcast office, where there is 1 lone employee working the desk when they open who doesn't usually work a customer service desk and who announced to the crowd she could only accept payments and returned equipment (thank goodness for me). I know they all suck in some way, but the cable companies suck the most.

Dish tech is better than DirecTV. RDToy works for Dish, but we have DirecTV. Just waiting until it's worth it to break our contract and go to Dish. Because she works for them, we will get Dish essentially free.

I love DirecTV and the differences are not enough for me to switch to Dish if it weren't going to be so cheap because she works there. However, the Hopper and Joey setup is pretty money. Having essentially 6 tuners is awesome. PrimeTime any time is sweet and Autohop is pretty cool too. If I was switching from cable, I would go with Dish, but as someone mentioned before, they all have their ups and downs.

I just got the genie for 25 bucks. It took 50 minutes and 3 transfers, but worth it. I am jacked for the picture in picture option for this upcoming fall.

I have DirecTV and love it...had it for 2 years. Had Dish prior and didn't hate it, just switched because of a super cheap rate that has now gone up to almost TWC rates BUT I get so much more for the money. I also don't have to deal with TWC ass clowns and their horrible customer service.

I will never, ever, ever, ever have TWC again, no matter how high my DTV bill climbs.

I have a family member with AT&T Uverse and she loves it (TV, Internet, and phone). Not sure of what you get for the $$, but she has no complaints right now.

Back