• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

In a PGA season that has lacked many dramatic finishes*, yesterday was pretty exciting, particularly on 18: DeChambeu with the approach and putt on 18 to (it appeared) at worst case a playoff, Wolff and Morikawa's solid shots into the 18th green (figured one of the rookies would shank or push it into the water), then Wolff with the bomb for eagle, followed by a clutch putt to tie for Morikawa that had the speed, line and everything but the golfing gods in his favor.

*28 straight tournaments w/o a playoff

I loved the look on DeChambeau's face when Wolff hit that putt - mostly because I don't like DeChambeau. In an age of mostly cookie cutter power swings, I like Wolff's Furykesque but with some power swing. Seems like a cool kid. And Lahinch was a fun watch over the weekend.

I loved the look on DeChambeau's face when Wolff hit that putt - mostly because I don't like DeChambeau. In an age of mostly cookie cutter power swings, I like Wolff's Furykesque but with some power swing. Seems like a cool kid. And Lahinch was a fun watch over the weekend.

Loved the DeChambeau reaction as well and think he's a bit of a twit, but I also appreciate that he's a competitive mofo who just wanted a chance to get back out there and mix it up for another hole or two.

Not sure if you meant it, but "some power" is an understatement. Dude has a ball speed near 160 with a damn 4 iron. For comparison, Chez Reavie's DRIVER ball speed was mid 160's when he won 2 weeks ago. Wolff is elite when it comes to power and distance.

Agree Lahinch was fun to watch. I'm in the middle of planning an Ireland/Scotland trip again and Lahinch will absolutely be on the itinerary.

These young kids and their "swing your swing" movement are awesome for golf. It doesn't matter one bit if you have a picturesque swing like Adam Scott or Rory, as long as you generate the requisite power and return the club head to the same position on the down swing time after time. Far too many golfers (including me) spend too much time trying to swing "pretty" rather than just swing their natural swing.

I agree with this ruling.
Everyone should play under the same conditions and rules.

Meh, give him a cart if he needs it. The Open can only be won by half the field sometimes because of the weather draw morning/afternoon so it's not like they're all playing indoors in the same conditions. If someone can hit a golf ball but has trouble being on their feet for 5 hours I'm okay with a cart.

This is how Kevin Streelman found out he was invited to the British Open. Hilarious. He got in after Daly WD'd.

Last edited:
These young kids and their "swing your swing" movement are awesome for golf. It doesn't matter one bit if you have a picturesque swing like Adam Scott or Rory, as long as you generate the requisite power and return the club head to the same position on the down swing time after time. Far too many golfers (including me) spend too much time trying to swing "pretty" rather than just swing their natural swing.

I have been told numerous times to keep my front foot planted during the back swing, which is the conventional thinking and probably a good idea. Watching Wolff lift that front foot up almost off the ground had me chuckling.

Meh, give him a cart if he needs it. The Open can only be won by half the field sometimes because of the weather draw morning/afternoon so it's not like they're all playing indoors in the same conditions. If someone can hit a golf ball but has trouble being on their feet for 5 hours I'm okay with a cart.

If someone can't be on their feet for 5 hours, I am ok with them not being a professional athlete.

Solid second round for Bill as he shoots 3-under and currently stands T6. If he finishes where he sits now, he would move up to 130 in the FedEx Cup standings. He has 3 tournaments left to earn his status (top-125 or better) for next year: this week, then two second-tier events (Barbasol and Barracuda) over the next 2 weeks. After that, the playoffs start, and if he does not get into the top-125, his season is over. If he finishes 125-150, he would earn conditional status again like this year.

Solid second round for Bill as he shoots 3-under and currently stands T6. If he finishes where he sits now, he would move up to 130 in the FedEx Cup standings. He has 3 tournaments left to earn his status (top-125 or better) for next year: this week, then two second-tier events (Barbasol and Barracuda) over the next 2 weeks. After that, the playoffs start, and if he does not get into the top-125, his season is over. If he finishes 125-150, he would earn conditional status again like this year.

Pressure's on.
Play well, Bill.

Over his last 5 holes, Bill missed two putts for birdie inside 10 feet (and another inside 15 feet) or he could've scored even better. That said, he's hitting he ball farther and more accurately than he has in a long time; hit his irons were awesome today. Needs to keep it going over the weekend. Only a few tournaments left in this season.

Has he already used his yearly exemption as a past FedEx champion? I can't remember. Good to see him playing well.

Has he already used his yearly exemption as a past FedEx champion? I can't remember. Good to see him playing well.

Don't think so, otherwise he could have played in better events this year. Even with conditional status only this year, he still has played in 19 events due to past champions exemptions and sponsors exemptions. The limited medical got him in 2 events. Had he played half-decent in the first part of 2019, he would have locked up full status already. So he probably doesn't need to use the yearly exemption until he has lost his status entirely, which hopefully will not happen at any point before he turns 50.

Very hard to make up ground this late in the year. Haas is T7 and if he finishes this way he will move up 21 spots in Fed Ex ranking. I think he was 158 ish, so he still would be well outside the top 125 with a T7. Realistically he probably needs two top 10 finishes or a win to make the top 125, it appears to me.

Back