• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

That was great. I didn’t tune in until that last hole of regulation….to see a pressure putt and force sudden death. Told my wife I was going to watch the playoff, maybe a couple of holes. We both ended up watching for 2 hours. Great that the crowd stayed til the end and was fired up like a football game. Tied for second longest sudden death in pga history.

seems fair. can't waste time on relationships that aren't going anywhere.

he's up to #2 in the fedex cup standings so soon maybe

I was turning back and forth between the soccer and the women's major yesterday at Atlanta Athletic Club, where Toms edged Phil in the PGA. Hadn't remembered much about the course, but there is a ton of water in play on that back nine. Pretty cool layout. And nice to see an American win a major for the 1st time in 3 years. Nelly Korda also became the #1 ranked player in the world, something no American has been since Stacy Lewis had her good 3 year run almost a decade ago. Korda and Danielle Kang are really the only 2 Americans doing much of anything these days. That said, Kupcho has been on a fair amount of leaderboards and should land a spot on the Solheim Cup team this year.

PGA won big with the finish and the playoff. Best golf of the year.

Awesome finish and English won me $91 and my 5th win of the season. Golf letter is hot as a firecracker. Going with good putters this week as the Rocket Mortgage course in Detroit will be a birdie fest!

Just saw where Crysome Deshamblow and his caddie have split. Has to be maddening to loop for him.

Brooks Koepka, who has been engaged in a rivalry with DeChambeau, didn't let Thursday's news go by without comment. Koepka tweeted a shout-out to his caddie, Ricky Elliott, writing, "Couldn't do it without my guy Rick!"

https://twitter.com/BKoepka/status/1410646655037165570

What would Herb Edwards advise Brooks with these tweets? I've always liked Brooks, but this ongoing spat makes both of them look rather small.

We've gotten to that point in the season where the Euro tour is more interesting than the PGA tour. The Hartford, Detroit, Deere Run, Minnesota and Memphis courses do nothing for me. I'd like to see the PGA tour add a pretty venue in the Pacific NW or maybe Colorado in this part of the season. But it's a good stretch for the Euros in Ireland and the UK. This week they're at a parkland course in Kilkenny. Then comes Renaissance, St George's, Celtic Manor, Galgorm Castle and the Fairmont course at St Andrew's.

What would Herb Edwards advise Brooks with these tweets? I've always liked Brooks, but this ongoing spat makes both of them look rather small.

We've gotten to that point in the season where the Euro tour is more interesting than the PGA tour. The Hartford, Detroit, Deere Run, Minnesota and Memphis courses do nothing for me. I'd like to see the PGA tour add a pretty venue in the Pacific NW or maybe Colorado in this part of the season. But it's a good stretch for the Euros in Ireland and the UK. This week they're at a parkland course in Kilkenny. Then comes Renaissance, St George's, Celtic Manor, Galgorm Castle and the Fairmont course at St Andrew's.

C'vile could not disagree more. River Highlands was a great watch last week (even with a weak field) and that course was compelling with a lot of water, and reachable par 4s. Despite losing Tiger the PGA Tour has done very well since the return of COVID. As soon as a Euro tour player qualifies for the PGA Tour, he can't leave the Euro Tour fast enough to play over here, which tells you all you need to know about the quality of play on the two tours. FWIW, on the Fed Ex Cup leg of the tour in August, the PGA Tour is playing at Caves Valley outside of Baltimore for the first time ever. That course is awesome.

C'vile could not disagree more. River Highlands was a great watch last week (even with a weak field) and that course was compelling with a lot of water, and reachable par 4s. Despite losing Tiger the PGA Tour has done very well since the return of COVID. As soon as a Euro tour player qualifies for the PGA Tour, he can't leave the Euro Tour fast enough to play over here, which tells you all you need to know about the quality of play on the two tours. FWIW, on the Fed Ex Cup leg of the tour in August, the PGA Tour is playing at Caves Valley outside of Baltimore for the first time ever. That course is awesome.

I realize most will disagree with me. I love to watch links golf and love this 5-6 week part of the Euro tour where most of it is on links courses. And I like that, when Covid hit, they added more UK courses to their schedule. I think that really added to the quality of their venues because the UK has a lot more quality courses than the mainland does, with the exception of Valderrama. I get that the Connecticut course is the best of this 6 week run on the PGA tour, but it still isn't that interesting to me. But notice that I didn't include the playoffs, or Greensboro for that matter. I walked Caves Valley when the women played the Royal Crown there and really enjoyed the layout - a lot of elevation change on that course - and I'm interested to see how the men score on it. As for the playoffs, I never cared for the Boston venue but have liked all the other courses they've played (really liked Olympia Fields last year), and East Lake is a great layout with the plushest zoysia fairways you'll ever see.

Yeah I think Koepka just looks petty at this point and I am not a Bryson fan at all. I actually like Hartford and Memphis courses but otherwise agree.

I'm going to split the difference with you:
British Open Sunday is one of my favorite golf-viewing days. It starts with the best in the world going after the Claret Jug on some of the world's most iconic courses, and then (usually after for me an afternoon break/nap), the Barbasol Championship. The thing I like about the Barbasol is that it is a collection of guys new to the tour or refugees from Korn-Ferry who are struggling to get or keep their cards, accompanied by guys like Bill Haas who are trying to get back on a leaderboard after recent struggles. Throw in some Monday qualifiers from mini-tours, sponsor invites, and 40-somethings trying to hang on until their Senior Tour debut, meaning just about every player comes with a back-story to what the week means for them. But the best thing about The Barbasol: professionals teeing it up between barber pole-striped shaving cans.

I'm going to split the difference with you:
British Open Sunday is one of my favorite golf-viewing days. It starts with the best in the world going after the Claret Jug on some of the world's most iconic courses, and then (usually after for me an afternoon break/nap), the Barbasol Championship. The thing I like about the Barbasol is that it is a collection of guys new to the tour or refugees from Korn-Ferry who are struggling to get or keep their cards, accompanied by guys like Bill Haas who are trying to get back on a leaderboard after recent struggles. Throw in some Monday qualifiers from mini-tours, sponsor invites, and 40-somethings trying to hang on until their Senior Tour debut, meaning just about every player comes with a back-story to what the week means for them. But the best thing about The Barbasol: professionals teeing it up between barber pole-striped shaving cans.

Didn't they used to do the Barbasol at a mountainous CA course? If so, that was a pretty course. This year it's in KY, so no idea. And the Open is really an event for both tours. As for the other events up against each other in terms of the quality of the course:

Kilkenny >> Detroit
Renaissance >> John Deere
Galgorm >> 3M
Fairmont St Andrew's >> Memphis

Back