• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

FWIW, Ben Curtis won 3 other PGA events after winning the 2003 British Open. He also finished 2nd in the PGA, 2nd in the Players and top 10 two other times in the British Open after winning that 2003 Open Championship.

Yeah I know. I was being silly. I follow the tour heavily especially back then. But he wasnt ever a consistent player much after the Open win and certainly didnt live up to it. And eventually became a player that couldnt make cuts and lived off exemptions. And my one up close adventure was abysmal. He shot 77 and it looked like 87. He didnt cut us a shot.

Speaking of golfers that have completely lost their game, poor Smylie Kaufman.

He crushed it on the web.com tour in 2015 to get his tour card at age 24. As a PGA rookie, Kaufman won the Shriner's Hospital event by shooting a ridiculous 61 on the last day. Then, in his first trip to Augusta, Kaufman shot the low round on Saturday to play in the final group in the 2016 Masters. Kaufman blew up shooting an 81, and not only has he sucked since then, he is consistently the worst golfer in whatever event gives him a mercy invite. This week, with the top pro's in the UK, Kaufman got an invite to the PGA Barbasol event in KY. The pro's light up this course (the leader is -8 after round 1). Kaufman shot 87 today with two quad 8s. He has the worst score in the field by 9 shots. Kaufman was in the middle of the Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith pack, but now he struggles to break 80 on the easiest courses on tour. He's still just 29, but Smylie can't play anymore.

I think Hamilton was a bigger fluke than Curtis. But it was so much easier to be a fluke like Curtis, Hamilton, Beem and Micheel back then than it is today. Then, you had Tiger, Phil and Vijay as the big 3. After that, it was more up and down guys like Els, Furyk, Goosen, Love and a few others. The top 30 today is way deeper with chalk than it was in the 90s or 00s. Hell, for the RC, they're going to have to choose between guys like Simpson, Finau, Scheffler and Spieth for captain's picks. Compare that to captain's picks 15-20 years ago.

Mickelson shot 80 and is tied for DFL after round 1. Would like to know how often a major winner finished DFL after any round of a subsequent major played the same year. Would guess not often, if ever.

lol that's awesome

Phil just living his best life these days

Speaking of golfers that have completely lost their game, poor Smylie Kaufman.

He crushed it on the web.com tour in 2015 to get his tour card at age 24. As a PGA rookie, Kaufman won the Shriner's Hospital event by shooting a ridiculous 61 on the last day. Then, in his first trip to Augusta, Kaufman shot the low round on Saturday to play in the final group in the 2016 Masters. Kaufman blew up shooting an 81, and not only has he sucked since then, he is consistently the worst golfer in whatever event gives him a mercy invite. This week, with the top pro's in the UK, Kaufman got an invite to the PGA Barbasol event in KY. The pro's light up this course (the leader is -8 after round 1). Kaufman shot 87 today with two quad 8s. He has the worst score in the field by 9 shots. Kaufman was in the middle of the Justin Thomas, Jordan Speith pack, but now he struggles to break 80 on the easiest courses on tour. He's still just 29, but Smylie can't play anymore.

Yeah I remember Smylie would stay in the rented houses on tour with Spieth, Rickie and Justin Thomas et al. I feel terrible for him.

I think Hamilton was a bigger fluke than Curtis. But it was so much easier to be a fluke like Curtis, Hamilton, Beem and Micheel back then than it is today. Then, you had Tiger, Phil and Vijay as the big 3. After that, it was more up and down guys like Els, Furyk, Goosen, Love and a few others. The top 30 today is way deeper with chalk than it was in the 90s or 00s. Hell, for the RC, they're going to have to choose between guys like Simpson, Finau, Scheffler and Spieth for captain's picks. Compare that to captain's picks 15-20 years ago.

What made Curtis a fluke was that he was a rookie and it was the first major he had ever even played in. I think he maybe had a single top 10 finish before winning The Open and that might have been the previous week at the John Deere that got him in The Open. My memory may be wrong on that. Hamilton was a veteran on international tours but had not done anything special and hadn't played much on the PGA Tour even though he is American (I think he failed to qualify through tour school a bunch), but he was at least a well-known college player.

The year that Curtis won The Open was the same year that Shaun Micheel won the PGA Championship. Yikes.

Cobra torching Bryson over his driver whining is fantastic. How many OEM’s have ever called their top brand ambassador a stupid child?

Zalatoris is withdrawing with a back injury

That sucks, hope it’s not too serious for him. I saw him hit a really awkward shot out of very long grass yesterday and it looked like he tweaked something then.

What made Curtis a fluke was that he was a rookie and it was the first major he had ever even played in. I think he maybe had a single top 10 finish before winning The Open and that might have been the previous week at the John Deere that got him in The Open. My memory may be wrong on that. Hamilton was a veteran on international tours but had not done anything special and hadn't played much on the PGA Tour even though he is American (I think he failed to qualify through tour school a bunch), but he was at least a well-known college player.

The year that Curtis won The Open was the same year that Shaun Micheel won the PGA Championship. Yikes.

From Wiki: His first year on tour began unspectacularly as he made a fair amount of cuts, but had no finishes in the top 25, until a tie for 13th at the Western Open on July 6, which qualified him for The Open Championship in England less than two weeks later. Curtis entered the 2003 Open Championship at Royal St George's as a 300–1 outsider, defying the odds to win the tournament.

After an opening round 72 (+1), he shot a second round 72 to pull into a seven-way tie for fourth. A third round 70 put Curtis in a five-way tie for third, two strokes behind leader Thomas Bjørn and one stroke behind second-place Davis Love III. While Bjørn shot a final round 72, Curtis fired a 69 to finish at −1, one stroke ahead of Bjørn and Vijay Singh.

And Bjorn now has a bunker named after him for taking more shots to get out of the bunker than it took Hitler.

its not just brooks piling on bryson now.... you got errbody chiming in

Can you really imagine any of the top golfers in the history of golf taking as many shots at another player like this? Tiger, Arnie, Jack, Phil, Trevino, or even someone like Greg Norman, Payne Stewart. Koepka just looks bad.

Has there been a bigger target ever before Bryson?

He’s reaping what he sowed.

Back