• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Ah yeah. I remember that. The Tour wants one competition not a few dozen clown shows.

Like every golfer, Mickelson has the rights to his name, image and likeness. He made $40 million in endorsements last year. TIger Woods was just recognized as a sports billionaire. That's not from purses, it's from selling his name image and likeness.

What were their issues with the Tour aside from the Saudis paying more?

It's basically that.

Some of these guys have also argued that the field at PGA events is too large at the expense of more "well established" players, but I'd actually argue the opposite that the tour does too much to protect the Poulter's and Kaymer's of the golf world at the expense of dudes on the KF who are objectively better atm.

Again, to the point that it's really about the money and nothing else, you can look at the PGA tour and objectively say that its system has not held anybody back who has the game to be a top pro. On the flip side, let's say Andy Ogletree went off and finished top 5 this week (he's DFL right now, but whatever). He'd still be kicked to the curb to make room for Bryson, Reed, Bubba, Rickie if they want in next week. LIV has no interest in getting the best golfers. They want the names, so it completely reduces the idea of meritocracy in pro golf.

From a fan perspective, you could argue that the PGA tour format is stale and needs to be reimagimed, but that's certainly not what Phil, Greg, and friends are concerned about.

What were their issues with the Tour aside from the Saudis paying more?

Exactly.

So DR - your position is that if the PGA Tour would have revised its rules to be more player-friendly, the LIV Tour would have just gone away?

I'd say that's unlikely and the LIV Tour would have just gone ahead and started anyway. So the PGA was going to be in the position of protecting its tour either way.

Yes, it almost certainly would not have had the support it does from players if the PGA Tour had adjusted to modern times.

Further, they are handling it all wrong right. Don't ban players. Let them play wherever just like you have with every other tour in the World. By alienating this tour, you only made it worse and will continue to do that. Don't pick a fight with the richer guy.

Here we are:

In one camp, you can believe the Saudi government went on a crusade to improve the plight of professional golfers.

In the other camp, you can believe the Saudi government is creating a professional golf tour to sportswash its civil rights issues.

In another camp, you can believe the Saudi government is doing this all to make money.

In another camp, you can be nice to the other tour--like you have the Euro, Asian, and Sunshine Tours Tell your players they are welcome home anytime and you are open to their suggestions on how to improve the PGA Tour. And that you are pro golf!

Internet rumors have Pat Perez, Matt Wolff, Rickie Fowler, Jason Kokrak and Bubba Watson making the jump.

a few other names i'll toss out there as purely speculative but fit the profile:

jason day, jimmy walker, leishman, sabbatini, scott stallings

wouldn't be surprised to see john daly or his son either

What gets me going is when Wake Forest alums too often believe it's 1965 and post stupid shit like this. It's the same "world ought to be happy with us" mentality that has made us suck for 30 years in hoops.

We aren't very smart because, well, we aren't very smart.

The old school PGA tour completely misread this as well. Should have realized it's a different world and addressed Norman and Phil's issues with the tour rather than challenge them to a duel that is destroying golf. When you're the broke guy (the PGA), flexing just isn't smart. They should include these folks and, if we really are the best country in the world, we can compete.

The only one without a good business plan here is the PGA Tour. It's never a good idea to believe you are richer and stronger than the other fella--especially when you are not.

Oh this last sentence is HILARIOUS coming from YOU. I couldn’t sum you up any better.

What gets me going is when Wake Forest alums too often believe it's 1965 and post stupid shit like this. It's the same "world ought to be happy with us" mentality that has made us suck for 30 years in hoops.

We aren't very smart because, well, we aren't very smart.

The old school PGA tour completely misread this as well. Should have realized it's a different world and addressed Norman and Phil's issues with the tour rather than challenge them to a duel that is destroying golf. When you're the broke guy (the PGA), flexing just isn't smart. They should include these folks and, if we really are the best country in the world, we can compete.

The only one without a good business plan here is the PGA Tour. It's never a good idea to believe you are richer and stronger than the other fella--especially when you are not.

Your Duke Douche is hard to hide

if they're gonna take chase koepka, might as well take john daly ii

Lol, the majors *need* the players from the PGA Tour.

Well they need players and the PGA can’t stop them from playing in the majors, right? Seems to me the PGA is going to lose a lot of power/influence if they try and crackdown on this Saudi league.

Back