• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Do we expect any further statement from the USGA? I would hope the players would keep some level of pressure on to keep what could have happened to DJ from happening to them.

Probably not, they're probably already working on plans to get the greens up to 15 on the stimpmeter for the Open next year.

Probably not, they're probably already working on plans to get the greens up to 15 on the stimpmeter for the Open next year.

They won't need to. The greens next year are more undulating than Oakmont, plus they can stretch the course out to 8000 yards if they need to. Expect to see a more traditional setup with nothing but 475-500 yard par 4's.

What I really liked about Oakmont was the variety of the length of holes. 4 par 4's under 390 yards and the course was only about 7200 yards in length. It was playable for people who hit it long and short. For me, they could rotate the Open between Merion, Shinnecock, Oakmont, Pebble and Pinehurst and I'd be a happy fan.

My 5 course rotation would be

Pebble
Oakmont
Winged Foot
Pinehurst #2
Merion

I agree with you LK about the variation in the par 4's at Oakmont. I'm tired of the 480 + par 4 golf holes. If the fairways are tight and fast and you find it, then you should have a short to mid iron. I'm OK with that. I also love the driveable par 4.

The only thing I dislike about Oakmont is the super long par 3. Seeing pros hit fairway metal to a par 3 is just silly.

They won't need to. The greens next year are more undulating than Oakmont, plus they can stretch the course out to 8000 yards if they need to. Expect to see a more traditional setup with nothing but 475-500 yard par 4's.

What I really liked about Oakmont was the variety of the length of holes. 4 par 4's under 390 yards and the course was only about 7200 yards in length. It was playable for people who hit it long and short. For me, they could rotate the Open between Merion, Shinnecock, Oakmont, Pebble and Pinehurst and I'd be a happy fan.

I agree except for Shinnecock. Not that Shinnecock isn't a great track. I just don't like two major championships being played on links courses. I've played the Lower at Baltusrol and think it's one of the best in the country. Looking forward to the PGA there in July.

I would have Bethpage Black as my honorable mention over Shinnecock

I don't care if they ever go back to Pinehurst #2 if they're going to mess it up the way they did last year.

NEWSFLASH The PGA has just assessed a 2 stroke penalty to Seve Jones in the 1996 US Open saying new technology has made this possible. If he doesn't return the replica trophy and prize money, the USGA will sue him.

I agree with you LK about the variation in the par 4's at Oakmont. I'm tired of the 480 + par 4 golf holes. If the fairways are tight and fast and you find it, then you should have a short to mid iron. I'm OK with that. I also love the driveable par 4.

The only thing I dislike about Oakmont is the super long par 3. Seeing pros hit fairway metal to a par 3 is just silly.

Par is irrelevant. If they called the hole a par 4 and total par was 71 would you all of a sudden have a different opinion about it?

So would I but it will never happen because they are in love with public venues, so they will keep going to Bethpage, Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, etc.

NEWSFLASH The PGA has just assessed a 2 stroke penalty to Seve Jones in the 1996 US Open saying new technology has made this possible. If he doesn't return the replica trophy and prize money, the USGA will sue him.

The PGA has no authority to assess a penalty on a player at the 1996 or any other US Open.

I like seeing pros hit long clubs into a par three instead of six and seven irons into 220-yard holes. Of course for me, a 300-yard par three would be a driver and then hope I have no more than a 40 or 50-yard lob wedge left.

No idea if it will make for a good Open venue, but I am excited to see them play at LACC in several years.

100 percent agree with that too. You had 2 driveable par 4's, some ultra long par 4's, a crazy long par 3, a couple of shortist par 3's and 2 legitimate par 5's. I thought it provided a great variety.

No idea if it will make for a good Open venue, but I am excited to see them play at LACC in several years.

When the USGA goes to a new course for the Open, they generally know that it is a good championship venue or they know what changes need to be made to in order the make it a good championship venue. That is a big part of the decision making on the part of membership when they vote to extend the invitation. Are they OK with changes being made to their course and/or facilities?

Exactly, if a guy like Dustin can drive it 320+ and hit 75 to 80 percent of the fairways in a US Open setup, they deserve to be hitting wedges into the greens. To me the USGA's mission shouldn't be to "defend" par it should be to provide an extremely tough test that requires players to play excellent golf to succeed. If DJ had putted a little better he could've been close to double-digit under par, would that have meant the set-up was too easy, I don't think so. I think it would've just meant that he played superior golf and was rewarded.

When the USGA goes to a new course for the Open, they generally know that it is a good championship venue or they know what changes need to be made to in order the make it a good championship venue. That is a big part of the decision making on the part of membership when they vote to extend the invitation. Are they OK with changes being made to their course and/or facilities?

I don't think worked out so well last year. I'm not big on complaining about course conditions when everybody has to play the same course, but Chambers Bay was not a worthy US Open venue last year in the condition it was in. I'm not saying they shouldn't ever try different venues, but I think the USGA could stick close to a specific formula without trying these "experiments" like last year.

I don't think worked out so well last year. I'm not big on complaining about course conditions when everybody has to play the same course, but Chambers Bay was not a worthy US Open venue last year in the condition it was in. I'm not saying they shouldn't ever try different venues, but I think the USGA could stick close to a specific formula without trying these "experiments" like last year.

I completely agree. Chambers Bay was a disaster as an Open Venue.

Back