• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

In the midst of all the controversy, it was really cool to watch Taylor win the playoff to be the 1st Canadian to win their Open in 69 years. That event should be 1 of the elevated events. It's usually on a good course, it draws yuge crowds, and it's usually pretty compelling. I guess Canadians are just thrilled in early June that there is no longer snow on the ground. It was also cool to see all the Canadian and English players following the playoff.

Corey Conners being form tackled by security while trying to celebrate and dump champagne on Taylor was absolutely hilarious.

He's over $2.5M in PGA Tour earnings this year alone so he'll probably be ok...

Hadwin grew up playing hockey like all Canadians. All he did was get checked on the green.
I'm guessing all those guys were hockey players, as opposed to skids or hicks. Conners grew up in the same tiny town in rural Ontario as the guy who plays Wayne in Letterkenny - Listowel, which Letterkenny is based on.

Nowhere near enough complaining from these guys in the practice rounds to this point for a US Open. Going to be -15 or lower unless they take the greens to the absolute breaking point...

The rough and greens look pretty insane to me from videos I've seen of people just dropping balls around the greens...

Obviously tricky to really tell until they start playing, but the fairways are wide, the rough is down in general, the greens are very sloped but aren't particularly fast, and I think the yardages look bigger on paper than they will in practice. One of the middle-tier distance guys on tour said he's probably hitting 3 wood or hybrid on like 7 of the non-par 3 holes. Par 5's are reachable except for one, 1 and 10 are easy... Sounds like the defense is some really bad areas if you miss in the wrong spots plus some very tricky greens with tons of slope where tucked pins can eliminate birdie chances. But more than anything else Tour players are whiney as hell, when they get to a US Open venue that clearly could go into absurd difficulty levels they won't shut up about how hard it's going to be and how some holes could be unfair... And there's like none of that happening so far.

Not that I mind - the course looks phenomenal and the variety of holes should make for a great event. Drivable par 4's, reachable par 5's, one par 3 that's almost 300 yards and another that could play 80 yards. Crazy.

Obviously tricky to really tell until they start playing, but the fairways are wide, the rough is down in general, the greens are very sloped but aren't particularly fast, and I think the yardages look bigger on paper than they will in practice. One of the middle-tier distance guys on tour said he's probably hitting 3 wood or hybrid on like 7 of the non-par 3 holes. Par 5's are reachable except for one, 1 and 10 are easy... Sounds like the defense is some really bad areas if you miss in the wrong spots plus some very tricky greens with tons of slope where tucked pins can eliminate birdie chances. But more than anything else Tour players are whiney as hell, when they get to a US Open venue that clearly could go into absurd difficulty levels they won't shut up about how hard it's going to be and how some holes could be unfair... And there's like none of that happening so far.

Not that I mind - the course looks phenomenal and the variety of holes should make for a great event. Drivable par 4's, reachable par 5's, one par 3 that's almost 300 yards and another that could play 80 yards. Crazy.
Yeah should be fun. I'll take the over on -15 for a six pack though...

Ha well I'm sure they'll trick it up to keep it within reason, but I'm hoping the books open the winning score bets in single digits...

One does have to wonder how much of it is outright lying vs. being incredibly obtuse.

Weekly reminder that DR's either an outright liar or an outright cheater at golf. #winning

Back