• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Biff needs to stay away from the golf threads. Those 2 bombs combined had to be > 100'. Too bad for Kuchar, but gotta hand it to Spieth. And Spieth has to hand it to extremely wispy rough. I assume Southport has had less rain or something. No way Spieth wins the way he hit the driver had that been Carnoustie rough.

Golf really needs Rory Jason and Jordan to all be on top of their game at the same time.

Golf really needs Rory Jason and Jordan to all be on top of their game at the same time.

I'd throw Dustin in there too but it probably will never happen. Jordan excluded, they all seem to have wildly inconsistent games.

I'd throw Dustin in there too but it probably will never happen. Jordan excluded, they all seem to have wildly inconsistent games.

Jordan can be wildly inconsistent as well. And was in yesterday's round alone. His main bugaboo is his driver, and as I said earlier, would never have won the Open had the rough been more penal. He is no Tiger in his prime, and neither are the others. But DJ, Day and Rory will be back winning big tourneys soon. DJ and Rory have had injury and staleness issues the last few months, and since Rory has been back, his short game has been woeful. It's a testament to how good Rory is that he was able to rally to make the cut and be under par with that poor a short game. Day took some time off due to his mom's cancer, and considering his history of abuse as a child and everything his mom did for him to give him a chance at life, you gotta figure that's been wearing heavily on him the last few months. Then you have another group of really strong players close behind those 4 guys, including Stenson, Rose, Garcia, Rahm, Matsuyama, Scott, Fowler, Koepka, Thomas, Reed, Kuchar, Casey, RCB, Peiters....

FWIW, I prefer this generation of having this kind of incredible depth of great talent to the early 2000s when it was Tiger, then Phil, Vijay and maybe Furyk. Back then, if Tiger, Vijay and Phil weren't contending, you had guys like Beem, Curtis, Weir, Immelman and Hamilton winning majors. That doesn't happen much these days. The closest you get to that in recent years was Willett, but Willett at the time was the #2 on the Order of Merit behind Rory. He was trending similarly to how Fleetwood is trending now when he won the Masters, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him trend back to contending in majors if he stays healthy and can balance family life. I just don't see Spieth dominating in anywhere near the manner that Tiger did for about a decade given the depth of quality we have.

cville - you're right about the amazing depth there is on the tour now. Everybody is good.
You could also toss in some previously unknowns from Canada and China that played very well and finished ahead of many of the top names

Jordan can be wildly inconsistent as well. And was in yesterday's round alone. His main bugaboo is his driver, and as I said earlier, would never have won the Open had the rough been more penal. He is no Tiger in his prime, and neither are the others. But DJ, Day and Rory will be back winning big tourneys soon. DJ and Rory have had injury and staleness issues the last few months, and since Rory has been back, his short game has been woeful. It's a testament to how good Rory is that he was able to rally to make the cut and be under par with that poor a short game. Day took some time off due to his mom's cancer, and considering his history of abuse as a child and everything his mom did for him to give him a chance at life, you gotta figure that's been wearing heavily on him the last few months. Then you have another group of really strong players close behind those 4 guys, including Stenson, Rose, Garcia, Rahm, Matsuyama, Scott, Fowler, Koepka, Thomas, Reed, Kuchar, Casey, RCB, Peiters....

FWIW, I prefer this generation of having this kind of incredible depth of great talent to the early 2000s when it was Tiger, then Phil, Vijay and maybe Furyk. Back then, if Tiger, Vijay and Phil weren't contending, you had guys like Beem, Curtis, Weir, Immelman and Hamilton winning majors. That doesn't happen much these days. The closest you get to that in recent years was Willett, but Willett at the time was the #2 on the Order of Merit behind Rory. He was trending similarly to how Fleetwood is trending now when he won the Masters, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him trend back to contending in majors if he stays healthy and can balance family life. I just don't see Spieth dominating in anywhere near the manner that Tiger did for about a decade given the depth of quality we have.

No and it's likely no one ever will be, but Spieth has that "it" with the putter I've only ever witnessed in 2 other guys, Woods and Nicklaus. That is the ability to almost will the ball in the hole with his putter when he has to have it. Nicklaus had that ability, look at the back 9 at Augusta in 86 and Tiger also seemed to be able to will the ball in the hole from almost anywhere on the green or even around the green when he needed it.

No and it's likely no one ever will be, but Spieth has that "it" with the putter I've only ever witnessed in 2 other guys, Woods and Nicklaus. That is the ability to almost will the ball in the hole with his putter when he has to have it. Nicklaus had that ability, look at the back 9 at Augusta in 86 and Tiger also seemed to be able to will the ball in the hole from almost anywhere on the green or even around the green when he needed it.

Woods definitely had that "it" quality with his putter more so than Nicklaus, though Nicklaus was a good clutch putter. Spieth has that quality too, more so than anyone else in this generation. He'll miss his fair share of 4-5'ers, but no one hits more 15-30'ers than he does. But it's not just his putting - his chipping, pitching and bunker play is also the best out there. He reminds me of a much kinder, gentler and more sportsmanlike version of Seve, who also had that "it" factor. Great short game and iron player who hits it all over the park off the tee. Which is the reason Seve only won the Masters and Open and not the US or PGA. Similarly, Jordan isn't going to win at an Erin Hills or Carnoustie the Lawrie year. But he can win a major with his B game as long as the rough isn't penal.

Spieth is the best putter on tour (maybe ever), best iron player, best chipper/pitcher and possibly the most mentally strong player also. The most consistent player over the past 4 years on tour is Spieth. He hasnt missed a cut in a major since the 14 PGA. He might do it a little different, but he's the best player in world, period.

Woods definitely had that "it" quality with his putter more so than Nicklaus, though Nicklaus was a good clutch putter. Spieth has that quality too, more so than anyone else in this generation. He'll miss his fair share of 4-5'ers, but no one hits more 15-30'ers than he does. But it's not just his putting - his chipping, pitching and bunker play is also the best out there. He reminds me of a much kinder, gentler and more sportsmanlike version of Seve, who also had that "it" factor. Great short game and iron player who hits it all over the park off the tee. Which is the reason Seve only won the Masters and Open and not the US or PGA. Similarly, Jordan isn't going to win at an Erin Hills or Carnoustie the Lawrie year. But he can win a major with his B game as long as the rough isn't penal.

Did you not consider the rough at Chambers Bay penal? I personally thought it was worse than the rough at Erin Hills. I think what makes Jordan so great aside from being the best putter and iron player in the world is his ability to think around the course. If he knows he can't miss big with a driver, he doesn't miss big. If he's got the less penal stuff he will go ahead and let it rip. Golf is always a game of misses and Jordan routinely misses the least and in the least penal places of anyone. He's an absolutely amazing player.

Tiger won 2 majors and finished 2nd and 4th in the other 2 in 2005. 191st in driving accuracy at under 55%. Spieth is 135th at just over 58% this year.

Dominance is dominance. Win with your B game, win after a few choke holes, win hitting driver all over the place, win despite missing 4 footers... There are 50 guys on tour who could win a major on a hot weekend when they're firing on all cylinders. What separates guys like Tiger and Spieth is that they can win regardless of whatever swing defect is temporarily plaguing them. It's not the rough, the course, or luck.

Seve wasn't a dick, he just didn't speak English very well.

Not entirely true imo. Individual sports seem to be popular when one competitor establishes his/her legendary status against the best competitors of their time, great or not. Competitors like Tiger, Serena and Phelps just blew away the field consistently. Federer did as well for a couple of years until other legends emerged. Ledecky will probably be the best female distance swimmer long after we're dead and the level of her competition in those individual distance events will be a footnote.

I don't recall the field being deep with talent at all when Tiger hit his stride but don't really think it would have mattered. Phil was there and deserves the HOF status he currently has, but as I said, he was there, and he was constantly asked questions when he lost to Woods or, heaven forbid, beat him. He cemented his HOF credentials later as I recall. The level of intimidation Tiger put upon the field in his prime was rare to witness.

Currently you have two young legends here and Tiger didn't have that. McIrloy and Spieth are really all the sport needs to be more than relevant as long as they stay healthy.

Spieth could do it alone as well.

Last edited:
No, Chambers Bay had some horrific dune rough lies but was more hit or miss with the rough, though the greens were dead. Erin Hills had hay that was almost impossible to hit out of, and the primary cut was really thick as well.

Guys, I'm not trying to hate on Spieth at all. I agree he's the best player in the game, and he just won a major with his B game. I'm just saying he isn't as dominant as Tiger was, and I think the best comparison is Seve because Seve had the best short game in his day, was a great iron player and was even wilder than Jordan off the tee. As to whether Spieth is in his prime, yeah, I think he is and hit that prime with unusual maturity at a young age. And I think he'll continue to be this good for the next decade plus. I think McIlroy and Day were also pretty mature in their early 20s, though not as much so as Jordan. DJ, not so much.

And Seve was not a dick? The only bigger dick the game has known in the last 40 years was Monty.

Don't forget Shaun Micheel...

No, Chambers Bay had some horrific dune rough lies but was more hit or miss with the rough, though the greens were dead. Erin Hills had hay that was almost impossible to hit out of, and the primary cut was really thick as well.

Guys, I'm not trying to hate on Spieth at all. I agree he's the best player in the game, and he just won a major with his B game. I'm just saying he isn't as dominant as Tiger was, and I think the best comparison is Seve because Seve had the best short game in his day, was a great iron player and was even wilder than Jordan off the tee. As to whether Spieth is in his prime, yeah, I think he is and hit that prime with unusual maturity at a young age. And I think he'll continue to be this good for the next decade plus. I think McIlroy and Day were also pretty mature in their early 20s, though not as much so as Jordan. DJ, not so much.

And Seve was not a dick? The only bigger dick the game has known in the last 40 years was Monty.

That should be a caption obvious statement, I don't know there has ever been as dominant a golfer as Tiger was at the height of his career and that's coming from someone who's ultimate sports hero is Jack Nicklaus. I still consider Jack the best ever because he won the most majors, but Jack was never as dominant as Tiger was and Jordan or anybody else on the horizon won't be either. What's impressive about Spieth is what he's accomplished at such a young age and he's done it without being as physically a gifted golfer as Tiger or even Rory or Dustin, etc. IMHO.

I agree about Seve, I always liked Seve. Yeah he was cocky, yeah he was a gamesman, but he backed all that up with his game in the majors during his prime. As much as Monty accomplished on the European tour, he always feel short over here, but carried himself as an elite world class player. It's like a .400 hitter in AAA ball who never hit better than .250 in the majors acting like they were a superstar. Kind of the same thing with Poulter except he's at least won a couple WCG events.

Don't forget Shaun Micheel...

I think you've got several guys now that aren't scared or intimidated by anyone, where as Tiger intimated the other top players at the time because honestly they'd never seen anything like him before. The lesser known guys didn't have any pressure on them because nobody thought they'd win anything anyway and some of them caught lightning in a bottle. I'm no Tiger fan but he raised the bar big-time. I remember when even if a top player won one tournament it was a decent year, winning one major was a great year and winning multiple majors or even a handful of tournaments a year was pretty rare. I mean 2 to the top players in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's was Fred Couples and Davis Love III and they only have one major each, which is really disappointing when you think about it. The guys in the their 20's grew up watching Tiger win multiple majors in a year and winning several tournaments in a year and that became the bar to chase.

L&D, it wasn't just that with Monty. Talk about a choke artist in majors, especially on this side of the pond. It was like he was searching for ways to lose when he was in contention in majors over here. At Congressional, when he was on 17 (18 now), he made a public display over crowd noise a hole over and proceeded not to get up and down. And people talk about Phil's choke at Winged Foot, but Monty's was worse. They were both a stroke ahead of Ogilvy going into 18. Phil at least was typical Phil and took out driver when he shouldn't have and then tried to hit it through a tree. Monty was in the fairway with a shortish iron and absolutely chunked his iron 30 yards short and then pitched it to the back of the green and 3 whacked. For a guy who talked so much shite about everyone else, Monty only backed his talk with his play on the Order of Merit and at the RC. My all time golf hate list is Monty 1st, then Seve, then Sir Nick.

Last edited:
Back