• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

The only thing in the way would be that anybody worth hiring should be currently employed. I wouldn't want a guy who would bail on his team in mid season.

Wait until November or December to pry somebody loose from where they are now. Start looking at MAC, AAC and Conf USA schools with good defenses. Get a coordinator from one of them. Or get a position guy from another P5 school and promote him.

If they know they can be fired mid-season, they will take a job midseason. I think there are plenty of good coaches that would switch mid-season for the right opportunity. We probably aren't the dream destination to accomplish that, though. It would probably take a personal connection to make that happen. There is no loyalty in big-money college football, except to the bottom line.

If they know they can be fired mid-season, they will take a job midseason. I think there are plenty of good coaches that would switch mid-season for the right opportunity. We probably aren't the dream destination to accomplish that, though. It would probably take a personal connection to make that happen. There is no loyalty in big-money college football, except to the bottom line.

No

Virtually impossible for an assistant coach to change schools mid-season. Coaches are contract employees, the duration of their contract takes them through the end of the season, and they can't even negotiate with another school until the season is over. Can't think of any example of an assistant coach switching jobs in the middle of the season; does not happen.

Maybe we can convince Charlotte to go ahead and fire Lambert so we can take him for the remainder of the year.

I would also be in favor of bringing back Aaron Curry in some capacity.

Not going to happen. Like any profession, the guy would know that would probably be his last move ever in the college coaching profession. He'd be marked forever pulling that stunt.
Now, if Nick Saban called? Maybe a 5% chance. We ain't Alabama.

Bud Foster....after last Saturday maybe not.

And you think Wake had a bad day last Saturday ???

Look, it would be one thing if wake players were in position to make plays and got run over or been beaten physically. This has not been the case this year. Hell on many of these plays given up we don’t have a player in the frame. It has been wierdly poor play. That really is a coaching issue. Our LBs continue to be pathetic. Dawson was good against the run but struggled to get to the edge. Our lbs this year don’t seem to be able to do anything.

Clawson doesn’t need anymore time to pull the trigger. Very impressive!

Hire no one. Addition by subtraction.

If nothing else we should see more urgency on that side of the ball. Let’s just hope the renewed energy is channeled into better fundamentals.

Maybe we can convince Charlotte to go ahead and fire Lambert so we can take him for the remainder of the year.

No way Clawson hires a Grobe homeboy.

Gilmore

Pretty impressed with Clawson to make this move. Not easy, and I'm sure he didn't make it lightly, but the guy walks the walk. We'll see how things change from here.

Does Sawvel get fired w/o Gilmore on staff? Was Gilmore given analyst position as personal connection favor or as back up plan if D did not improve? Did Clawson have doubts going into the season? He brought Gilmore on during the summer. To his credit Clawson may have given Sawvel a chance to redeem himself from last year.

Watching that game significantly eased the pain of the ND loss for me.

Yup. There were several games that eased my pain. Watching Ga Tech get throttled at home in front of quite a bit of orange eased my pain. Well it only dulled it because I know in two weeks, our ass whooping is coming in front of 15k Klempsun fans. Might as well call it "Death Valley at BB&T Field". Was there 2 years ago and was miserably cold and had to sit around a bunch of orange and listen to them spell Clemson way too many times. Also knowing that if you are a Nebraska fan, you are suffering pretty bad as well.

The same Aaron Curry who actively pulls for UNC over Wake? We can do better!

Really hard to explain Sawvel. He got promoted to D.C. At Minn. based on his excellent record as a DB position coach. His one year there as D.C. was very good. He had several DBs make the NFL. Could be as happens often some are just not cut out to be the head guy on Defense or Offense. It does leave some doubt as to the abilities of our current crew. A very perplexing situation.

Gentleman, the defense has been problematic but is it the sole cause of the issues at Wake? I would hope you all didn’t really expect a small true freshman quarterback was going to lead this team to the promise land. 1. The highly touted offensive line has struggled. As a result, the offense hasn’t been able to control time of possession. Research the number of 3 and outs Wake has had this year. The offense doesn’t threaten anyone down field and it’s predictable. The defense just isn’t strong enough to spend that much time on the field every game. The reality of the situation is the offensive and defensive lines have been dominated the past two weeks. As a result, we cant dive the football and our undisciplined secondary has been exposed. Really watch the games instead of the big plays.

Gentleman, the defense has been problematic but is it the sole cause of the issues at Wake? I would hope you all didn’t really expect a small true freshman quarterback was going to lead this team to the promise land. 1. The highly touted offensive line has struggled. As a result, the offense hasn’t been able to control time of possession. Research the number of 3 and outs Wake has had this year. The offense doesn’t threaten anyone down field and it’s predictable. The defense just isn’t strong enough to spend that much time on the field every game. The reality of the situation is the offensive and defensive lines have been dominated the past two weeks. As a result, we cant dive the football and our undisciplined secondary has been exposed. Really watch the games instead of the big plays.

Boston College ran 69 plays against Wake. Of those, 59 plays we gave up a total of 189 yards. In the remaining 10 plays, we gave up 344 yards.

The big plays are absolutely killing us.

Back