• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

That would be too confusing.
We'd have DC as our head coach and BC as our DC.

I think a team needs to hire Henry Campbell as their head coach, Don Cook as their defensive coordinator and Oliver Cameron as their offensive coordinator.

Pretty impressed with Clawson to make this move. Not easy, and I'm sure he didn't make it lightly, but the guy walks the walk. We'll see how things change from here.

Listening to ESPNU radio this morning on XM while driving to work. They were talking about Notre Dame and how our defense is a "trainwreck," and that is why Wake fired their defensive coordinator. A person name "Ronnie" from North Carolina called in, a Wake alum, and said how embarrassed he was that we fired our defensive coordinator only 4 games into the season. He said, "we're Wake Forest, what are we going to do, it's embarrassing Clawson would do this." So, "Ronnie" if you are a participant on this board, go cuddle your teddy bear and it will all be okay. What a pansy!
Sounds like Clawson didn't clear firing Sawvel with Wellman beforehand.

Sounds like Clawson didn't clear firing Sawvel with Wellman beforehand.

This had me laughing. Just the image of Ron calling from his office while nibbling on his fingernails, realizing he has no control over Clawson. “But this isn’t the Wake Forest Way!”

Listening to ESPNU radio this morning on XM while driving to work. They were talking about Notre Dame and how our defense is a "trainwreck," and that is why Wake fired their defensive coordinator. A person name "Ronnie" from North Carolina called in, a Wake alum, and said how embarrassed he was that we fired our defensive coordinator only 4 games into the season. He said, "we're Wake Forest, what are we going to do, it's embarrassing Clawson would do this." So, "Ronnie" if you are a participant on this board, go cuddle your teddy bear and it will all be okay. What a pansy!

Little Old Wake Forest at its finest. Dave Clawson is a hard a$$. I love it. Hope he stays here forever. He's not going to wait around watch this thing go to crap. He's on it.

Last edited:
Little Old Wake Forest at it's finest. Dave Clawson is a hard a$$. I love it. Hope he stays here forever. He's not going to wait around watch this thing go to crap. He's on it.

I know right, like since we're LOWF we shouldn't act like a real program and fire an under performing DC. The hosts of the show I was listening rightly pointed out that this, as we know, was probably a problem that had been going on much longer than the 4 games of this season and that if the HC and DC aren't on the same page it's what you have to do. That caller was the embarrassment to Wake Forest, not firing Sawvel.

And that right there folks is precisely the reason the basketball program has absolutely sucked for NINE years. Our football program would too except for a guy named Dave Clawson who is AT LEAST TRYING!!

Just the fact that we gave up so many yards & points the past 2 years to a woeful offense like Notre Dame made this an easy decision. We made them look like a #1 team when they have previously struggled against Vandy & Ball State. I like having a head coach who now fires incompetent assistants and makes decisions!
Just wish our AD would do the same over the years.

The anti-Grobe
Yep, this is a new perspective from Wake sports. Let's see how it works out. In the short term it has to be addition by subtraction. Hopefully, it instills a boost/sense of urgency that is productive.
I wonder if Claw has someone in mind to come in or if we just ride with splitting the duties until the end of the season.
Either way, very decisive action. This ain't your daddy's Deacs, any more.

Listened to Claw after the game comments and reading between the lines, the decision was made before the end of the game Saturday.

Facebook fan brigade personified.

I know the surprise is that Clawson did this middle of the season. But he let Scheier go for not getting the job done so I'm not really that surprised. Clawson and Scheier had a history.

I wonder if other assistants were grumbling behind closed doors about the direction of the D and the play calling? I’m looking forward to seeing if there is a style change or if the LBs become more involved like they used to be.

I wonder if other assistants were grumbling behind closed doors about the direction of the D and the play calling? I’m looking forward to seeing if there is a style change or if the LBs become more involved like they used to be.

Wait. We have linebackers!?!! When did this happen? Is this public knowledge?

Wait. We have linebackers!?!! When did this happen? Is this public knowledge?

Right!? We have all seen Strnad play well in the past, but I can't remember his name being called all season. It's really strange.

Back