• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

Current speculation is that Marla Maples was the leaker.

The current issue of The Economist contains a full-throated defense of free trade and globalization in its special report section. http://www.economist.com/printedition/2016-10-01 You probably need a subscription to access, not sure. It's a good read, in that it makes a cogent defense of the many benefits of free trade and contains some recommendations on policy responses to ameliorate the harm done to some subsections of society. Not a surprising position for the newspaper to take, since it was founded in the 1800s specifically as an advocate for free trade in Britain. Then, as now, The Economist understands that free trade is good for everyone, not just the rich.

count me as one who thinks this tax-loss/carryover thing will not be a big deal for Trump unless he can't keep his mouth shut about it

Last edited:
Marla Maples would be the worst case scenario for Trump. It's a joint personal return, so no legal complications, they have an adult daughter who can speak for herself if Trump trashes her mom, and re-examining Trump's relationship with Maples (cheating with and on her) wouldn't be remotely helpful.

count me as one who thinks this tax-loss/carryover thing will not be a big deal for Trump unless he can't keep his mouth shut about it

His entire essence has just been trashed in regards to carrying a billion dollar loss meaning not a good businessman, im sure he will stay real quiet.

having a huge loss does not a "bad" businessman make. and even though I think he's being disingenuous about "fixing" the issue, he's right that it's a fucked up system that lets a guy like him write off a loss for two decades. can't fault him for using the legal tax code to his advantage.

:noidea:

Allegedly Trump can be charming in private settings, so theoretically a town hall could work well for him, but that falls apart once somebody asks him a provactive question or the crowd turns on him. Despite Trump's comments on low energy, his quack doctor needs to medicate him for the next debate. He blows this debate, he only has one debate left and early voting has already started. Hillary went four corners too early. That being said, she won't make a lot of mistakes down the stretch, so Trump would be dependent on hackers and a single debate. McCain was a pro, but he went Joe the Plumber in the last debate. Trump's not going to lose gracefully, so Monica, Flowers, Broaddrick, and Wiley would be on full display in the last decade if Trump can't stop the bleeding.

ChrisL, have you read enough to speculate how Trump was able to get his loss up to close to a billion dollars? I've read a couple pieces but haven't found one that adequately explains it.

Wall Street and hedge fund 'Pubs can't be too stocked. Was kinda tough for most people to figure out how McCain didn't know how many houses he owned or how Mitt could end up with a $100M+ IRA. Tough to defend being able to carry a $900M loss for 18 years. Making $399K and still being middle class doesn't make sense for anyone who doesn't live in NYC or the Bay Area, but the tax code will take a whack and there won't be a lot of bipartisan support for the status quo.

Last edited:
If Trump were truly smart — and wanted to lead by example — he would have disclosed his tax returns, showed the loopholes he used, and vowed to close them.

I have plenty of problems with the Clintons’ financial behavior, as I wrote. But at least Hillary Clinton is proposing tax code changes that would cost her and her family money. Trump, by contrast, is proposing tax changes that would greatly benefit the commercial real estate business, which is his primary field, and would greatly benefit his own family. And when I asked his campaign last week whether he was proposing any tax changes that would cost him and/or his family any money, I got no reply.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-916-million-loss-everyones-talking-about/

Curious how Kaine handles the debate. Does he go hard negative on Trump, protect Hillary, or go after Pence on social issues? Kaine may run in 2020 if he loses, but wouldn't win the nomination (Warren, Gillibrand, Booker). Need help with millenials now, so going after the worst of Trump and Pence would be a wise play.

Pence is screwed, he has no other gig so he has to go hard negative on HRC and be a Trump apologist. He'll definitely run in 2020 and social policies are his calling card. Dems would be perfectly happy to run against Cruz or Pence on LGBT issues, but race is still close enough that they want to destroy Pence now on social issues to help millennial turnout. Pence is an ambitious weasel, but he can't distance himself overtly from Trump yet.

ChrisL, have you read enough to speculate how Trump was able to get his loss up to close to a billion dollars? I've read a couple pieces but haven't found one that adequately explains it.
Not yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Nol carryforward vary widely by country. Many countries have carryforwards that never expire. on the other hand Canada's nols expire after 7 years

Not yet

Biden's former economics guy was saying it had to do with depreciating assets...in spite of the fact they were actually appreciating...

Biden's former economics guy was saying it had to do with depreciating assets...in spite of the fact they were actually appreciating...
That is pretty standard tax accounting. It is done on a cost basis and real property can be depreciated on a 27 to 40 year basis. When you sell is when you realize appreciation as that depreciation lowers the cost basis in your asset.

Curious how Kaine handles the debate. Does he go hard negative on Trump, protect Hillary, or go after Pence on social issues? Kaine may run in 2020 if he loses, but wouldn't win the nomination (Warren, Gillibrand, Booker). Need help with millenials now, so going after the worst of Trump and Pence would be a wise play.

Pence is screwed, he has no other gig so he has to go hard negative on HRC and be a Trump apologist. He'll definitely run in 2020 and social policies are his calling card. Dems would be perfectly happy to run against Cruz or Pence on LGBT issues, but race is still close enough that they want to destroy Pence now on social issues to help millennial turnout. Pence is an ambitious weasel, but he can't distance himself overtly from Trump yet.

Kaine has continued to be a "meh" running mate. Part of that is that, I guess, the wackos at the top of each ticket get so much attention that few people are paying attention to the running mates. I've seen more onion articles about him just being a nice guy (out of his league in presidential politics is the joke I think) than I have seen actual news articles about him or his campaigning efforts.

Poor Pence, he should have just retired, or taken a sweet lobbying gig. He hitched his wagon to a maniac, so it is hard to feel genuinely sorry for him, but maybe he didn't think it would get/be this bad.

Yeah I don't see anywhere for Pence to go after this but down. If Cruz loses in 2018, he'll be out too.

Still plenty of wackos in GOP though led by Tom Cotton, Rubio, etc. among others for 2020.

That is pretty standard tax accounting. It is done on a cost basis and real property can be depreciated on a 27 to 40 year basis. When you sell is when you realize appreciation as that depreciation lowers the cost basis in your asset.

Yeah, I saw something about depreciating assets but that's how you get the year to year reduction in income while this is a one time write off from the sale of property that should have had a lower basis due to depreciation. Plus he had loans assumed by the buyers which I thought would factor into sales price or at least be taxable similar to debt forgiveness but I'm not sure about that one. It looked like the operating losses for those years were actually kind of small relative to the huge write off so it has to be from the property sale.

Sometimes even when trump is trying he is failing, like when he indirectly calls people suffering from PTSD weak and not strong.

"When people come back from war and combat and they see maybe what the people in this room have seen many times over, and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,”

Back