• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scheduling Question

I like our current scheduling philosophy. 1 cupcake (FCS), 2 beatable but respectable BCS opponents, 1 big name. Throw in a service academy every few years and its a good approach to scheduling.

I like this as well. Playing a cupcake towards the beginning of the season gives us a chance to work on some things at game speed before ACC play. Bringing in the big names to Groves creates a lot of excitement.

I'm always excited when the Deacs get to play in any bowl game, but let's face it, the player and fan experience of the Eagle Bank (now Military) bowl isn't even close to the OB, Chick-fil-a Bowl, or even the Champs Sports bowl.

I figure going to any bowl game is better than not after all it is about the players and the program they deserve that more than us.

jamesda3 said:
I figure going to any bowl game is better than not after all it is about the players and the program they deserve that more than us.

They can earn the bowl game on the field. That is their responsibility. It's the AD's responsibility to put together the best schedule possible to prepare the team and generate revenue.

Still, if I'm a recruit that is in Wake's league (3-4 stars) - would I be more impressed by a coach telling me that I'll get to play against a big name OOC opponent and get a road game in a stadium such as at Nebraska or Notre Dame during my four years, or play four games against crap teams and then get to play Directional Michigan in the PapaJohns.com bowl in Birmingham.

I'd be more excited to play the big names than play in some pretty empty stadium in a mediocre bowl game.

mersk862 said:
jamesda3 wrote: I figure going to any bowl game is better than not after all it is about the players and the program they deserve that more than us.

Still, if I'm a recruit that is in Wake's league (3-4 stars) - would I be more impressed by a coach telling me that I'll get to play against a big name OOC opponent and get a road game in a stadium such as at Nebraska or Notre Dame during my four years, or play four games against crap teams and then get to play Directional Michigan in the PapaJohns.com bowl in Birmingham.

I'd be more excited to play the big names than play in some pretty empty stadium in a mediocre bowl game.

Bowl swag is a big deal.

I wonder from a player's perspective if they'd rather play in the Eagle Bank Bowl vs. Navy or in Lincoln or South Bend.

PhDeac said:
I wonder from a player's perspective if they'd rather play in the Eagle Bank Bowl vs. Navy or in Lincoln or South Bend.

The only answer is that it depends.

Deacfreak07 said:
"PhDeac" wrote: I wonder from a player's perspective if they'd rather play in the Eagle Bank Bowl vs. Navy or in Lincoln or South Bend.

The only answer is that it depends.

A better question is which games generate more revenue: Eagle Bank or hosting ND or Nebraska?

If I remember correctly, the Eagle Bank bowl gave the players Afghan blankets or something to that extent. I think they made great Christmas gifts for their moms. They may have gotten something like a portable DVD player too. The bowl gifts at the Eagle Bank bowl were not very good compared to other bowl games. When the Deacs went to the Meineke bowl, I think they got a Garmin GPS, backpack, and a fossil watch. I can't remember about the OB. Last year though, the OB arranged it to where you could pick a bunch of items from a list up to a certain price. Some of the items included an XBOX 360, iHome stereo for the ipod, Majestic fleece, a Sony camera, and an ipod. Some of the higher tier bowls give away things like Visa giftcards or Best Buy giftcards too.

For the players, it really is all about the bowl gifts and where the game is played.

A better question is which games generate more revenue: Eagle Bank or hosting ND or Nebraska?

My guess would be hosting Nebraska. The only reason I say that is because of travel expenses. I don't know how much the buyout is for a low tier bowl, but I would think the money spent for a charter plane/buses, hotel, food, players stipends, etc. would be close to the buyout for a low tier bowl like the Eagle Bank.

[Dr.Acula] said:
Deacfreak07 wrote: A better question is which games generate more revenue: Eagle Bank or hosting ND or Nebraska?

My guess would be hosting Nebraska. The only reason I say that is because of travel expenses. I don't know how much the buyout is for a low tier bowl, but I would think the money spent for a charter plane/buses, hotel, food, players stipends, etc. would be close to the buyout for a low tier bowl like the Eagle Bank.

And we share revenues.

Personally, I'd like to see us play a decent MAC team or the like instead of the GWs of the world but LOVE getting to see Nebraska and ND at home. That's just awesome.

But that recruit is not going to even look at you if you have been getting stomped by good competition the last few years, but might if you have been 7-5 or 8-4 the last 10 years and went to a bowl game every year.

I was only suggesting it temporarily building the program up for a few years and gradually toughening up the schedule with better comp.

Wake is a D-1/FBS level school playing in a BCS level conference. Generally we should be playing the best teams we can schedule.

I understand the argument that every FBS team is going to play at least one or two gimmes each year, but it still disappoints me to see us routinely scheduling games against Army, Navy, and Big South teams.

If we are going to have the mentality that the only way we can ever win many games is to schedule crap teams, then at least make those teams from major conferences like Indiana, Rice, SMU, etc. so we avoid the perception problems that an NC State-like OOC schedule creates.

Army and Navy are great games to be in the mix- cant go to Annapolis enough. A fall day at West Point w a game in Michie Stadium is a great experience. Put it on your calendar. Teams w national recognition and teams we ought to beat despite our futility with Navy recently.

You can play two pretty sure wins and still have room for a ND or Nebraska.

Avoiding a crappy bowl is more about where we finish in the ACC than overall record. If Wake finishes 6-6 or 7-5 and 4 of those wins are over cupcake out of conference schools (meaning a 2-6 or 3-5 ACC record) we will go to the worst ACC bowl. However if we go 6-6 or 7-5 but finish 6-2 or 5-3 or even 4-4 in the ACC, we will likely go to a better bowl.

We play argueably 3 of the bigger names in college football (Miami, FSU and VT) on a regular basis at home, so I've never quite got the whole big-name opponent thing. It's not going to happen, but with the speculation at various times of Texas and/or Notre Dame to the ACC, after one home conference game with either the shine would be off; just another tough game that you want to win to get bowl eligible.

LilburnDeac said:
Avoiding a crappy bowl is more about where we finish in the ACC than overall record. If Wake finishes 6-6 or 7-5 and 4 of those wins are over cupcake out of conference schools (meaning a 2-6 or 3-5 ACC record) we will go to the worst ACC bowl. However if we go 6-6 or 7-5 but finish 6-2 or 5-3 or even 4-4 in the ACC, we will likely go to a better bowl.

This exactly.

Back