• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scheier out?

I hope Scheier lands on his feet somewhere. Seems like a good guy. This position is a step down though. The notion of Scheier being the fall guy for the offense is a pretty silly one.

It seems pretty obvious that something happened off the field to cloud whatever relationship that Scheier and Clawson had. It would be pure speculation to guess so I won't, but I don't think this had anything to do with what went on on the field and Clawson essentially said as much in the press release which was only interesting in that it didn't say a thing - which is what you do when you don't want to hose someone's reputation.

You can run some guesses though if you factor in the jump to Ohio State and IMO one of the most hateful and hurtful recruiters in the game. Count me in the NOT AN URBAN MEYER fan, some of it due to how he ruined the career and love of football that James Wilson had, an OL who wanted to transfer to Wake but was not allowed to do so - despite being miserable at Florida - by Meyer. Meyer also enabled a serial murderer to play despite shooting someone in the face. Great guy Meyer. Good Luck, Scheier.

On the field, special teams were poor.

Interesting that a coach like Urban Meyer was impressed enough with Scheier on paper to hire him and yet Clawson didn't want him. Special teams is all about athleticism and Scheier's special teams were very efficient with very little talent or athleticism. Not to mention having 2 all conference players and the only 1st team member in Weaver. Scheier was also a great recruiter. Seems to me like Clawson was looking for a scapegoat for his putrid offense and dropped the ball on this one. But I guess Scheier ends up better off. Good for him!

Weird post. None of us had anything to do with firing him. Your post kind of puts us in the position of hoping he fails at OSU, when otherwise I would have no reason to pull against him.

also

point 1) Special teams is all about athleticism and Scheier's special teams were very efficient with very little talent or athleticism.

point 2) Scheier was also a great recruiter.

wut

Pretty sure he won't be allowed to recruit in his new role at to$u.

Can he tweet though? Cause dude loves to tweet.

Here's a question though. If programs can hire desperate coaches in between jobs for $500/month, why isn't Clawson doing that?

there are small countries that don't have the budget OSU football has

i know $6k is pennies in major athletics but my guess is wake allocates that kind of money elsewhere until clawson asks for it specifically

Can he tweet though? Cause dude loves to tweet.

Here's a question though. If programs can hire desperate coaches in between jobs for $500/month, why isn't Clawson doing that?

We do have some positions, but I doubt we are as desirable of a waiting room.

Strange turn to the thread.

Admire Clawson for being willing to disrupt the status quo.

We only had one punt blocked? I remember that our punt protection formations messed up a couple of situations where the opponent was only rushing one or two.

there are small countries that don't have the budget OSU football has

i know $6k is pennies in major athletics but my guess is wake allocates that kind of money elsewhere until clawson asks for it specifically

We do have some positions, but I doubt we are as desirable of a waiting room.

Makes sense. I could see a fired FCS coach saying "$500/month at Wake? Nah, I'll just work on my side hustle and complain about my replacement on message boards."

Random question. Are there any YouTube channels of coaches breaking down film? Seems like that would be a great side hustle for a fired coach.

Ha! From what I know, Scheier and his wife and family are way too busy to be spending time on this board. I just find it entertaining how wrong so much of your information is, not only when it comes to the coaches, but with the players and recruits too.

This board loved (loves) Scheier has harbors no ill will against him. He cracked us up with his recruiting prowess. I don't think you will find anyone on these boards that doesn't wish him the best in his new endeavor. At the same time, we appreciate having a head coach in Clawson that isn't satisfied with the status quo, and one who is bold enough to shake up his staff if he believes it will help the program, so while we didn't see the Scheier firing coming, no one here is lamenting it. If Scheier is truly the coach you say he is, then I have no doubt he will continue on and have a great career. I certainly (and I think 99% of this board) would wish him exactly that.

Back