• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scott Weiland found dead

I found some like 2 hour best of STP compilation on YouTube I'm listening to now

amazing tags.

stp was really good, their songs were way more complex than most of the grunge era bands. interstate love song and (my personal fav) trippin on a hole, esp. the bassline on the latter is monte

I never really got into them, but I remember hearing their Vatican Gift Shop album and being impressed, thinking that it sounded like nothing I had heard out of them to that point. They wore a lot of Beatles influences on their sleeves for that one.

Been listening to their catalog and really had forgotten how great their albums were.

Moderation is masturbation

Esquire piece from 2005 - http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/news/a40198/scott-weiland-interview/?Src=longreads

Some great stuff in there. I especially enjoyed:

After a probation violation in '99, I was sentenced to a year in a county-jail recovery center in East L.A. I did five months. It was very depressing, very lonely.

I was in over Christmas. It was rough. I got a few guys together. One of them was a hardcore Nazi gang member with white-power swastikas all over his body. And two of them were Crips, you know, black guys from the gang; one of them had killed probably six people in his life. I got these guys together and formed a quartet. I had always sung in choirs. Even when it was something to be laughed at or made fun of, you know, in school. And I was always the kid who was picked at the Christmas concert to sing the solo, you know, while the other kids snickered in the front few rows.

So I taught these guys a bunch of Christmas carols with harmonies and everything. We sang to the eighty inmates who were in our dorm and to the sheriff's deputies and to our counselors. There was something special going on there—an ability for people to break past the normal barriers and closed-mindedness that they had grown up with. It was cool to show the fuckin' sheriff's deputies that we had something good in us, you know what I mean? It sort of shocked them to see us singing so sweet and in harmony. It was a great sort of passive-aggressive way to say fuck you.

Last edited:
I liked them in college in the 90s ok. Hadn't heard STP in years then was in the car and it came on and all i could think was that it was a total Nirvana Pearl Sham amalgam derivative. Not that it was bad, it was good enough music - but it was interchangeable with that and it just seemed a little cheesy hearing it again. That one tune about hiding the dead chick was good though.

Last edited:
That kinda surprises me that you think they were derivative of Pearl Jam or Nirvana, especially since you're a musician yourself. All three of those bands sound very different to me, with Nirvana being very punk influenced, Pearl Jam being a garbled emo radio friendly version of the Who, and STP being a weird blues'y metal band - Janes Addiction meets Alice In Chains.

Last edited:
back when those bands were current, I heard more distinct differences. Hearing STP again 20 years later it all sounded the same to me. It was some live rendition of "half the man I used to be...." , possibly acoustic (I was very stoned at the time) I heard Kurt Cobains rasp and phrasing overwhelmingly. For a moment I wondered if I was confusing the song with a Nirvana song. :noidea:

middle-of-the-road-talent junkie disappoints and bites the dust. stop the presses.

Lol. Dude was one of the most commerically successful rock frontmen of the last 30 years. Considering that doesnt even really exist anymore. Even more impressive.

STP sold 40MM worldwide and had 8! #1 singles, and were really only a band for less than 10 years.

The first Velvet Revolver record also did 2MM.

While that was mostly in a time where rock was at the forefront of the culture, those are still staggering numbers.

Absolutely. Hugely successful band!

edit: Those number ones were on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart, not the Billboard top 100 chart. But you are right they sold a lot of records, 44m worldwide is huge success.

Last edited:
Listening to their stuff now, I have reinforced my opinion that their best stuff came after their first two albums. Sour Girl, Days Of The Week, Big Bang Baby, and Trippin On A Hole are all well beyond their previous efforts.

I liked them in college in the 90s ok. Hadn't heard STP in years then was in the car and it came on and all i could think was that it was a total Nirvana Pearl Sham amalgam derivative. Not that it was bad, it was good enough music - but it was interchangeable with that and it just seemed a little cheesy hearing it again. That one tune about hiding the dead chick was good though.
Check out No. 4. That's an amazing record and it really holds up, IMO.

ETA: Damn, No. 4 is good.

Last edited:
Back