• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

Can we pump the breaks on the "ROBERTS IS GOING LIB!!!!11!!11!!!" talk now?

I don't read scotus decisions but if that from Townie is from the dissent then I gotta ask our experts is it typical of the dissenters to whine like that?

Each of the dissenting justices wrote their own opinion, though some joined in others'. Roberts's was pretty measured and reasonable, Thomas's and Scalia's not so much.

Kennedy just did the GOP a huge favor, though they'll be much too stupid to take advantage of it.

Kennedy just did the GOP a huge favor, though they'll be much too stupid to take advantage of it.

I suspect this is true.

Thomas reminded us all again he still doesn't believe in substantive due process although I suppose that's not too ridiculous.

oh he got pissed

CIbprebUwAIQIHJ.png

Just yesterday Scalia was screaming from the rooftops that the very same unrepresentative body should, nay, MUST act to strip health insurance from several million Americans based on a narrow reading of 4 words taken out of context in a million-word law duly enacted by the representatives of the people.

I am sure that Junebug will around soon to explain the fine legal technicalities that explain the difference, but I find the irony rich and tasty nonetheless.

I suspect this is true.

Thomas reminded us all again he still doesn't believe in substantive due process although I suppose that's not too ridiculous.

Which one of you is the 3L and which one is the SCOTUS justice again?

I always felt that the government should've done away with marriage altogether...marriage isn't something the government recognizes, but any two adults can form a civil union (which would be legally equivalent to marriage to the government) and then the religious folks could keep the sanctity of their precious marriage and everyone could quit bitching.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people on here probably do read the opinions. At least compared to people on Facebook at least.

has the supreme court EVER been demographically representative of the united states?

I don't know, but it sure should be. The Supreme Court shouldn't be made up only of Catholics and Jews who attended Harvard or Yale.

"If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: "The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identify," I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

"Judges are selected precisely for their skill as lawyers; whether they reflect the policy views of a particular con- stituency is not (or should not be) relevant."

Yeah, ok Scalia. That's exactly how it works....

"'The nature of marriage is that, through its enduring bond, two persons together can find other freedoms, such as expression, intimacy, and spirituality,'" he quoted from the majority opinion before adding, "Really? Who ever thought that intimacy and spirituality [whatever that means] were freedoms? And if intimacy is, one would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie."

Ask the nearest hippie!

I realize that nobody cares about this right now, but the Armed Career Criminal Act decision today was a big one too

Back