• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

"The opinion is couched in a style that is as pretentious as its content is egotistic."

"If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: "The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identify," I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

I don't care if you like Scalia or not. That is golden.

I think ol' Scalia needs to hang 'em up and go be a Fox News Radio commentator or just sit on his couch and yell at his TV. That dude has lost his goddamn marbles.

roberts dissent goes down the junebug "marriage is between a man and a women bc they can procreate, that's my argument" for like 4 pages, says it's good policy but bad lawmaking for the next 10 pages, and then wraps it up

scalia and thomas go fucking apeshit

saved y'all a click

Nonsense. Mainly what he says is it isn't a 14th Amendment issue and that the Court makes a heck of a stretch to make it one. Joined by all dissenters, who added their own rants on top of his. Scalia's was the most colorful of dissents, as expected.

Kennedy's majority opinion might as well have been cut and pasted from the DOMA case.

I think ol' Scalia needs to hang 'em up and go be a Fox News Radio commentator or just sit on his couch and yell at his TV. That dude has lost his goddamn marbles.

On the contrary. It is pretty clear that he still has them. The guy has been solid as a rock for years and still has the capacity for wit and reasoned thinking well beyond his peers. It may as well be Scalia and the Eight Dwarves. Nobody on his side or the left even approaches him. Ruth might be his closest mental counterpart on the left, which isn't saying much, but could explain their bond.

your rep didn't make sense either jh

not even close to complete sentences

Clarence Thomas has spoken about how Clarence Thomas has been treated. You should probably focus your energy pretending not to know what he's talking about and less time arguing about grammar on a message board.

On the contrary. It is pretty clear that he still has them. The guy has been solid as a rock for years and still has the capacity for wit and reasoned thinking well beyond his peers. It may as well be Scalia and the Eight Dwarves. Nobody on his side or the left even approaches him. Ruth might be his closest mental counterpart on the left, which isn't saying much, but could explain their bond.

lol

Um, did you read it?

Yes. And your first quote reinforces that it isn't a 14th amendment issue. The second one is his spiel about the history of marriage, a similar one that exists in the majority opinion.

This on the other hand is absurd

Did he piss on your cannoli? When historians look back at Scalia's tenure on the bench, they won't be writing about Kennedy or Ginsburg or Thomas. They certainly won't be writing about any of the others. Love him or hate him, Scalia is the guy who is going to get the focus.

Did he piss on your cannoli? When historians look back at Scalia's tenure on the bench, they won't be writing about Kennedy or Ginsburg or Thomas. They certainly won't be writing about any of the others. Love him or hate him, Scalia is the guy who is going to get the focus.

No way. Kennedy is going to get the focus. Scalia will get the focus for his dissents, but this is always going to be considered a court where Kennedy held the most sway.

Remember that gift SCOTUS just gave republican presidential candidates. It was thrown away.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R):

“Guided by my faith, I believe in traditional marriage. I believe the Supreme Court should have allowed the states to make this decision. I also believe that we should love our neighbor and respect others, including those making lifetime commitments. In a country as diverse as ours, good people who have opposing views should be able to live side by side.”

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R):

"The Supreme Court has spoken with a very divided voice on something only the Supreme Being can do-redefine marriage. I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat.”

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (R):

“Today, five unelected justices decided to redefine the foundational unit that binds together our society without public debate or input. Now is the people’s opportunity respond because the future of the institution of marriage is too important to not have a public debate.”

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R):

"This decision will pave the way for an all out assault against the religious freedom rights of Christians who disagree with this decision. This ruling must not be used as pretext by Washington to erode our right to religious liberty."

Dr. Ben Carson (R):

“While I strongly disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision, their ruling is now the law of the land. I call on Congress to make sure deeply held religious views are respected and protected. The government must never force Christians to violate their religious beliefs.”

Former HP exec Carly Fiorina (R):

“This is only the latest example of an activist Court ignoring its constitutional duty to say what the law is and not what the law should be. Justice Alito spoke for so many of us when he said that "[t]oday’s decision usurps the constitutional right of the people to decide whether to keep or alter the traditional understanding of marriage...All Americans, whatever their thinking on that issue, should worry about what the majority’s claim of power portends."

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham (R):

"As president, I would staunchly defend religious liberty in this nation and would devote the necessary federal resources to the protection of all Americans from any effort to hinder the free and full exercise of their rights."

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R):

"I am disappointed the Supreme Court today chose to change the centuries old definition of marriage as between one man and one woman. I’m a firm believer in traditional marriage, and I also believe the 10th Amendment leaves it to each state to decide this issue. I fundamentally disagree with the court rewriting the law and assaulting the 10th Amendment."

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D):

"Proud to celebrate a historic victory for marriage equality-& the courage & determination of LGBT Americans who made it possible."

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I):

“This decision is a victory for same-sex couples across our country as well as all those seeking to live in a nation where every citizen is afforded equal rights. For far too long our justice system has marginalized the gay community and I am very glad the Court has finally caught up to the American people.”

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D):

“So grateful to the people of MD for leading the way on this important issue of human dignity and equality under the law. #MarriageEquaility”

And those two quotes were literally exactly what I posted originally that you said "Nonsense" to. You dolt.

You didn't quote those at all in what I said "nonsense" to, and your cute little synopsis is not supported by what you did quote. Dolt.

Thank you for pointing out that it is the Roberts court. Like I didn't know that. Because I'm a dolt, apparently.

Back