• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

[without having a brilliant alternative, before you ask] i think the current state of affairs and the future arc is a fair argument for limiting direct elections

i think the current state of affairs and the future arc is a fair argument for limiting direct elections

I'm personally all on board with an oligarchy but the SwissChalet's of the world would never embrace that as any thing other than elitist snobbery.

Good luck getting two-thirds of both houses of congress or two-thirds of all state legislatures to agree on anything period in 2018. The chances of the Constitution being amended any time soon on any topic is slim to none. It's a totally different conversation, but amending the Constitution was meant to be a difficult and deliberate task, but not an impossible one. It's essentially an impossibility in 2018.

This is the answer -- just need some more states to come to their senses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

I'm personally all on board with an oligarchy but the SwissChalet's of the world would never embrace that as any thing other than elitist snobbery.

Yes or No? does this oligarchy have a
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo alum in any position of power?

Good luck getting two-thirds of both houses of congress or two-thirds of all state legislatures to agree on anything period in 2018. The chances of the Constitution being amended any time soon on any topic is slim to none. It's a totally different conversation, but amending the Constitution was meant to be a difficult and deliberate task, but not an impossible one. It's essentially an impossibility in 2018.

You nailed it. The nation is polarized and getting further polarized every day. And, honestly, I don't know what you can do to reverse the trend. More than anything else, I think that non-stop 24/7 political talk exposure on television & the internet from both extremes has been the biggest factor.

And if you want to say that one side or the other is more to blame, depending upon which side you are on, of course, you just make the polarization worse. That's how we got to this point....by both sides saying that it is the other side's fault.

Just have Amazon pick its new HQ in Wyoming and boom, the liberal elites will win.

I’d argue political polarization is an end result of single district elections with first past the post and that the news cycle just acts as a catalyst.

So, if the democrats get both houses and the presidency and the conservative Supreme Court starts overturning their legislative agenda.... will they be the new “activist” judges?

So, if the democrats get both houses and the presidency and the conservative Supreme Court starts overturning their legislative agenda.... will they be the new “activist” judges?

I think that's the end game for conservatives. Even if they do lose their congressional majority and the presidency in the new few elections, they could still effectively block any new progressive measures via the SC and lower federal courts, if they can appoint enough judges to control them. So, they win no matter what the voters ultimately decide.

I think that's the end game for conservatives. Even if they do lose their congressional majority and the presidency in the new few elections, they could still effectively block any new progressive measures via the SC and lower federal courts, if they can appoint enough judges to control them. So, they win no matter what the voters ultimately decide.

Kind of like NC, where amending the state constitution is deliberate and easy.

2018: the year of cementing legacies across America.

America’s government is based on deliberative institutions and interestingly in the 21st century has manifested itself as a conservative framework.

Most judges cover a certain geographic area, correct? Would only be fair for them to be 90% conservative then.

you can be radical or activist on either side. This group has already reached such a level.

There is at least a 27% chance that Trump sent one of his goons to threaten Kennedy's family if he did not resign before November.

“Say hello to your boy,” Mr. Trump said. “Special guy.”

Mr. Trump was apparently referring to Justice Kennedy’s son, Justin. The younger Mr. Kennedy spent more than a decade at Deutsche Bank, eventually rising to become the bank’s global head of real estate capital markets, and he worked closely with Mr. Trump when he was a real estate developer, according to two people with knowledge of his role.

During Mr. Kennedy’s tenure, Deutsche Bank became Mr. Trump’s most important lender, dispensing well over $1 billion in loans to him for the renovation and construction of skyscrapers in New York and Chicago at a time other mainstream banks were wary of doing business with him because of his troubled business history.

... seriously?

Back