• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS to rule on marriage equality

Huge! Yep two discrete issues. Will be interesting to see the discussion of judgments in the latter question. I believe that the answer to both should be yes but have no idea what will happen.

Constitutional scholar rjkarl wants to comment on this thread so badly

I believe myself much better-versed in the law regarding the first question. That's basic due process/equal protection. The second is more technical, and it has been a little while since Con Law.

But if the answer to the first is "yes," than it seems the second wouldn't really matter?

But if the answer to the first is "yes," than it seems the second wouldn't really matter?

My thoughts exactly. The second question would be moot.

It has been clear where this is headed since Kennedy's ridiculous lecture in Windsor.

Wait a minute, I thought Roy Cooper already made this decision on behalf of the Supreme Court?

Add this topic to the list of things 2&2 is endlessly clueless about.

That one did make me chuckle though I'll admit.

Bobby Jindal said over the weekend that he supports Cruz's call for a constitutional amendment allowing states to define marriage as they want. Both guys are extremely academically accomplished and have to know that would never pass or be ratified, but it's a way to placate the GOP base. Huckabee and Santorum aren't too bright and will fight to the bitter end, but Cruz and Jindal are young enough to still have political futures and they've got to know opposition to marriage equality will only continue to decline in the future.

Christie and Walker both declined to fight court decisions in their states, but every other 2016 wannabe is still aggressively fighting marriage equality. Seems incredibly short-sighted.

Anybody who believes that a constitutional amendment on any remotely controversial topic in polarized 2015 America is an absolute moron.

The Republican playbook right now is to fight hard against gay marriage so they can say they did all they could come June then going into the primary season. It's going to happen.

The Republican playbook right now is to fight hard against gay marriage so they can say they did all they could come June then going into the primary season. It's going to happen.

And they fail to realize that doing so makes whichever candidate survives completely unacceptable to a large percentage of moderate voters. I just don't get why Republicans keep shooting themselves in the foot on social issues.

Once the courts settle this once and for all, are they then going to spend decades proclaiming they will repeal it, or will they conjure up another social drama to crater future elections with?

They've had success combating Roe v Wade.

And they fail to realize that doing so makes whichever candidate survives completely unacceptable to a large percentage of moderate voters. I just don't get why Republicans keep shooting themselves in the foot on social issues.

Once the courts settle this once and for all, are they then going to spend decades proclaiming they will repeal it, or will they conjure up another social drama to crater future elections with?

Romney's especially hosed. He said in 1994 that he would be to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights (a bold stance at the time). As a "severe conservative" in 2012, he favored a constitutional ban amendment (after a sea change in public opinion). What position will Mitt takes if he runs again?

Christie and Walker didn't fight it once the courts ruled and that was the right position for their states and for the 2016 general election. Jeb's the only other 'Pub who's even attempted to hedge his position. Anyone who's popping off now is going to look foolish if they make it to the 2016 general election. They really can't help themselves.

Boehner's House has specialized in Kamikaze votes, so I'm kinda surprised they haven't voted on an abortion ban amendment yet.

At least the abortion debate can be somewhat justified, the anti-gay marriage thing is just stupid and makes people look hateful and stuck in the past.

At least the abortion debate can be somewhat justified, the anti-gay marriage thing is just stupid and makes people look hateful and stuck in the past.

Without taking the time to actually look this up, I have a feeling the abortion issue raises a lot more money than gay marriage. Plus, like you said, the marriage issue is dying, and abortion isn't going anywhere.

It's funny how dogged you've become since you only voted for Obama since he's black.

Back