• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Scout's Relationship with the Athletic Dept.

There are only 29 members plus the director, so if it actually did happen the story would have been impossible to hide.

Is that number total or just who gets to travel? JW. If it's total, holy shit student attendance is worse than I thought was possible.

Do we have any more info on the Vidovich contract situation? I was really bent out of shape when they started censoring allusions to that situation. He is one of best coaches of arguably our most successful men's program.

I think siff was involved with that thread. Any info is appreciated.

UGH that would just be too horrible if it were true.

Is that number total or just who gets to travel? JW. If it's total, holy shit student attendance is worse than I thought was possible.

The NCAA/ACC Tournaments limits traveling bands to 30 members, so its 29 plus the director. It keeps the large schools from bringing their 400+ member bands to the basketball arenas.

I'd just like to add that this board is really a breath of fresh air!:h34rt::dancindeac::fu::moose:

And I love the emoticons!

I heard the affair rumor last spring from another fan and Deacon Club member. Nothing too specific, though. Tend to think it's probably true (at least to some extent) considering how many places I've read and heard about it from.

Didn't know about the rumored affair, but figured it was something along those lines based on all the insinuation on "the other board" a few weeks ago.

The band/basketball thing is new to me, but I find it hard to believe it is true for reasons already highlighted in this thread.

people don't say things they wouldn't say to that person's face in real life? That's news to me. I thought people talked about rumors without ever confronting the person all the time.

I think it is different to spread rumors face to face (similar to PM) in real life, than say, announce it publicly to a forum of people (posting it on the boards). Yes, people spread rumors all the time face to face, but I think that's different than putting it out there for all to see.

Do you not think there should be a limit, ethically, to what one posts on a public forum?* I don't think that's an age thing, maybe it's just a different barometer for common courtesy.

(*omg am I starting to sound like RJ with this sentence? :willynilly:)

I mean, the entire newspaper business is basically built on reliance on and use of anonymous sources. Otherwise, they wouldn't get the information, and neither would we.

If I knew Dino or had developed a close relationship with him, then yea, I might ask him, "Hey man, so what was the deal with Ron Wellman and WF?" I don't have that option; instead, I have all of you.

I was very underwhelmed with Scout's "premium" information.

$10 a month for this? The football recruiting info was particularly weak.

Premium information is weak from all sites. Those sites hide more information than they actually share. So what exactly are you paying for? Those sites rely on access to the programs and athletic departments, so their business model doesn't allow them to give you the truth. You only get the "positive" part of the truth.

Glad to see a truly independent site/board break off from the scout site. Looking forward to following what is really going on with Wake sports here.

I am one of the people who has been lurking on this thread, mostly bc I wasn't sure I had any useful info.

This alleged affair- it was with another faculty member or a coed? I know we have heard both. I find it so hard to believe that it was a coed. It just doesn't seem like something he would do. I will say that Wake has fired a coach for things like this before. I was always shocked that they got rid of Brian Fleischman because he was dating Janet Bergman, who had already graduated, but who he used to coach. They're married now, but it seemed ridiculous because he was so successful and she was no longer a student.

On the other hand, I think the AD goes out of its way to protect certain student athletes, so I could see them covering up the band scandal issue. It was not too long ago some of our best fball players had a similar problem and I was shocked at how "under the radar" it stayed. While I believe the girl was a liar in that incident, it is amazing how well the AD controls negative information. I also know there was a football player who was caught with coke a number of times when I was in school and while the other student he was with was thrown out, he was kept on until he got in trouble for hard core drugs a third time. Same goes for the many times some of our star fball players got caught with weed. Everything down to T Williams breaking his foot playing basketball and not "falling out of bed" has been controlled.

It is scary how many examples I can think of. So glad they are no longer controlling the only boards as well.

I am one of the people who has been lurking on this thread, mostly bc I wasn't sure I had any useful info.

This alleged affair- it was with another faculty member or a coed? I know we have heard both. I find it so hard to believe that it was a coed. It just doesn't seem like something he would do. I will say that Wake has fired a coach for things like this before. I was always shocked that they got rid of Brian Fleischman because he was dating Janet Bergman, who had already graduated, but who he used to coach. They're married now, but it seemed ridiculous because he was so successful and she was no longer a student.

On the other hand, I think the AD goes out of its way to protect certain student athletes, so I could see them covering up the band scandal issue. It was not too long ago some of our best fball players had a similar problem and I was shocked at how "under the radar" it stayed. While I believe the girl was a liar in that incident, it is amazing how well the AD controls negative information. I also know there was a football player who was caught with coke a number of times when I was in school and while the other student he was with was thrown out, he was kept on until he got in trouble for hard core drugs a third time. Same goes for the many times some of our star fball players got caught with weed. Everything down to T Williams breaking his foot playing basketball and not "falling out of bed" has been controlled.

It is scary how many examples I can think of. So glad they are no longer controlling the only boards as well.

I heard it was it with a coed, FWIW (which is very little, by the way).

DeaconKing, off to an impressive start. Keep up the good work!

That's messed up... disheartening to hear

Edit to take out my last question bc I feel hypocritical

people are surprised the AD/school would hush up star athletes' bad behavior? really?

people are surprised the AD/school would hush up star athletes' bad behavior? really?

I'm not surprised they would, just kind of shocked at how well they manage to do it. I mean when people are being accused of rape and they manage to keep it almost totally off every radar screen. It's kind of unbelievable.

Back