• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCREW THE RAMBLIN' REGGIE BALLS FROM GT! YELLOW JACKETS ARE JUST BUGS!

If we assume we can line up, play conservative offense with 0 imagination and beat decent (let alone good) ACC teams, then we have much misery ahead.

Clawson has been playing this way since Day 1. Which has always been my knock on him.

He isn't going to line up and overmatch opponents like he did in his previous jobs.

His offensive philosophy has always been a bad fit for Wake. Either he adapts or he fails.

The epitomy of LOWF right there. Look, I know we have an embarrassing football history so our standards for success are skewed, but App State is a lot closer to being a cupcake then to a meaningful game. You're not going to convince me that a narrow victory over a sunbelt team is proof of our competitiveness.

I'm not because that's not what I said. I just disagreed that we beat BC and cupcakes.

I spent the day in Austin watching the Longhorns lose. They have the same two point stance, catch and shove blocking scheme that we have. Ok St bull rushed the interior three OL into the backfield throughout the first half. They went to a 3 pt stance for the guards, which lowered their pad level, and they gave the QB time to throw. Ruggerio offense is predicated on the defense making a mistake and the QB taking advantage of it. If the defense doesn't comply, the pocket will collapse and he and the RB will be crushed. There is so much we can't do because of the coaches. Three years in the weight room, three years on the practice field , our OL should be so much better. If you spend three years trying to play piano with your feet, you will still suck no matter how much "hardwork" you put into it.

Hope we didn't get the worst of the MAC hires between Doeren, Campbell, Babers and Clawson (aware Babers replaced Claw at BG, just speaking extemporaneously).

All with their pros but Campbell the most impressive to date IMO

Last edited:
Worst play calling I've seen all year in the second half. Truly awful.

This team when it gets a working margin lead against a good team instead of taking the game by the nads plays like it is prepared for something bad to happen.

This team when it gets a working margin lead against a good team instead of taking the game by the nads plays like it is prepared for something bad to happen.

It's been that way for a long time and it says a lot about the attitude/culture of the program. Even when we're good and/or playing well, there's a sense of impending doom, just like there was in the first half last night.

I really wanted us to beat Tech before Paul Johnson retired. Oh well. Not gonna happen now since we don't play them again until 2056 or whatever. At least we beat him a few times when he was at Navy.

By the way, when is the last time Tech had to play in Winston? I feel like it was 20+ years ago.

From Les:

Claw upset and frustrated, as he should be.
First half offense was rolling. Said second half was worst half of the season
3 key reasons
Penalties- responsible for 10 points
Couldn't convert third and 2 in the second half
Defense gave up too many big plays.

I was at the game. Feeling very good until we let them get the FG right before half.
It was a different game the rest of the night.

Clawson has been playing this way since Day 1. Which has always been my knock on him.

He isn't going to line up and overmatch opponents like he did in his previous jobs.

His offensive philosophy has always been a bad fit for Wake. Either he adapts or he fails.

This has to be understood by any Wake FB coach. If they don't and just try to out talent teams on offense, we will lose conference games almost every time. DC has made recruiting progress, but this is a fundamental issues that has to be accepted.

If we had a scheme that was a PITA that when well executed makes it extremely difficult for opposing defenses, we change the odds in our favor. That's why something like a wishbone/triple option offense or at least get back to a solid run game with cut blocks makes sense for us. Recruit stud D and special teams. Take your chances by being a tough out. We should be on the phone with the best disciple from the Paul Johnson / Troy Calhoun / Ken Niumatalolo staffs.

For those criticizing the playcalling on the two Carney runs at 3rd and 2 from the GT 25 with 5 minutes left in the game, here's the comment from a prime critic on our decision to throw twice on 3rd and 4th down at 3rd and 4 at the GT 34 late in the 3rd Q:

Horrible. That's 4 down territory. Gotta run on 3rd.

So Ph was claiming that when you're in 4 down territory with 3rd and 4 or better, it's dumb not to run it two times to maximize the chances of converting on another run on 4th down. On third and 2 in four down territory in the 4th Q, we did exactly what Ph says was smart (I don't really disagree) and fans slam the playcalling! What is happening is that fans are blaming whatever the coaching staff does that doesn't work. I.e., the failure of the team to execute. Different things will "work" in various situations if they are executed. If plays aren't executed, it's doubtful anything will work.

None of this is to say that our offense is good. I question the scheme as well, but it is what it is for this season. We aren't going to revamp everything we've been trained for in the middle of a season, much less the middle of a game. The call to run on 3rd and 8 in the 3rd Q to put us in FG position was defended by the game announcers: Clawson threw for the EZ on 2nd down, and the team didn't execute. On 3rd down, we ran it to better assure FG position and, of course, the run could've picked up a 1st down too. The FG made it a 1-point game, where failing to score would've kept us 4 points behind. These are all debatable calls. The "problems" are with scheme and execution in my opinion. And of course a defense unable to stop big plays consistently. Team has a lot of problems. Playcalling isn't the biggest by a longshot. My opinion of course.

(N.B., I'm not singling out Ph's post to criticize him specifically; rather I'm using his post of an example of a playcalling aficionado who actually calls for Wake to do what people are criticizing when it doesn't work.)

Last edited:
One of the playcalling question marks for me, and I’ve been noticing this all season, is that we seem to be really aggressive on 3rd-and-medium downs. I recall a couple of times last night on 3rd and 6 or so, where instead of picking a higher percentage play like a quick slant or screen pass or something, we threw a deep out or another longer, more difficult pass. I can’t remember any times this season that those types of plays have worked on 3rd down. We even did it towards the end on that 4th down where there was what looked like blatant interference against (I think) Wade that did not get called.

I just wish on those downs that have to be made to keep a drive alive that we would pick plays that have a more reasonable chance of working.

Playcalling is more than run or pass. Lining Carney up 8 yards behind the LOS and slowly running him smack dab into the line was a poor choice. I would have been fine with a sneak there or perhaps read option. I don't think anybody is saying we needed to pass on 4th and 1. We just ran a play with a low chance of success.

It seems like we spent two weeks retooling the offense and it fooled Tech for a half. Then they easily shut it down and we had no response. That's pathetic.

Last edited:
To me it is not that the plays called are even that egregious. but the formations attached to those plays are what gives them the unlikelihood of success. Between that and having our OL standing at the LOS like they are getting ready to take a dump with their leaning back squat position technique destroys any leverage they can get to get a little push. In FB, low man usually wins

One of the playcalling question marks for me, and I’ve been noticing this all season, is that we seem to be really aggressive on 3rd-and-medium downs. I recall a couple of times last night on 3rd and 6 or so, where instead of picking a higher percentage play like a quick slant or screen pass or something, we threw a deep out or another longer, more difficult pass. I can’t remember any times this season that those types of plays have worked on 3rd down. We even did it towards the end on that 4th down where there was what looked like blatant interference against (I think) Wade that did not get called.

I just wish on those downs that have to be made to keep a drive alive that we would pick plays that have a more reasonable chance of working.

+1.

Yeah. Good post. That midfield fade ball that worked to Hines and was a disaster to Dortch was just horrible. It requires perfect touch and doesn't lend itself to YAC. Fade balls are horrible in the endzone but they at least make some sense as an all or nothing play. Midfield? No.

We have two all conference caliber players on offense. We didn't take obvious steps to get them the ball.

Can anyone explain our play calling in the red zone in the second half? Threw a fade on second and long? When was the last time we executed a fade on a critical play. Then we called a run up the middle on third and long? I just don’t understand. I guess we really wanted to settle for 3 points on third down.

Back