• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCREW THE RAMBLIN' REGGIE BALLS FROM GT! YELLOW JACKETS ARE JUST BUGS!

If we assume we can line up, play conservative offense with 0 imagination and beat decent (let alone good) ACC teams, then we have much misery ahead.

Let me know which ranked teams use it

Alabama and Penn State don't need to run the option in 2017.

But when Wake starts recruiting talent consistently on par with these programs your point might hold water.

Ga Tech with a shittastic defense is a handful of plays away from being undefeated. Cowards, indeed.

And for the record, I am not defending our play calling. One of our biggest liabilities is the inability to gain rushing yards, when we really need to do so. Be it trying to pick up a first down to run down the clock, or pick up a first down on 3rd or 4th and short. At some point, if you keep trying to run the same play over and over with failure, then the failure is on you. Just to mix it up you would think we would have the QB keep the ball, try a quick reverse to Dortch or a quick pass. The thing is, I can't remember the last time we threw a quick 3 yard pass when we needed 2 yards. It seems that every team does it to us. We have one of the best TEs in the country, but I can't remember the last time he made a big 3rd or 4th down catch. Not sure if that is the play calling or the QB decision. Probably a little of both.

Last edited:
Did anybody here, or in the GT stadium, not know who was getting the ball on 4th and one, anybody? Bueller, Bueller?

It seems like once Ted Roof figured out we weren't going to run Wolford as much as we used to, the defense could just focus on stopping the run and rushing Wolford.

Look at the bright side folks, unc cheated and still sucks worse in FB than we do this year, and likely for the foreseeable future. They did beat ODU though

Did anybody here, or in the GT stadium, not know who was getting the ball on 4th and one, anybody? Bueller, Bueller?

Good teams, with good OLs can pick up 2 or 3 yards right up the middle, even when everyone in the stadium knows who is getting the ball. The problem seems to be, that our coaches somehow think that WE have a good OL. We have a pretty good running QB, a good TE, a couple of WRs that are good with RC, yet it seems that we always give the RB the ball up the middle when we need to get a yard or two, and almost never get it.

Our play calling in this game sucked so bad. Seriously we are not going to win like that. Washington is still a puss and does not make tough plays on the ball, and that bullshit call on Paris black. Tough night but we have to play to win.

It seems like once Ted Roof figured out we weren't going to run Wolford as much as we used to, the defense could just focus on stopping the run and rushing Wolford.

I will say it again. Wolford almost never runs off of the read option. Most of his runs are on designed QB draws (with no RBs in the backfield), or come of scrambles on passing plays. The TD he scored was one of the few times that he kept it on the RO, and look how open he was. I've been saying for at least 2 years now, that our read option offense is really just a slow developing run system, because Wolford never really keeps the ball and he takes forever to release the ball to the RB. I also think that our running game is better with Hinton as QB, because: 1. he gives the RB the ball faster, and 2. he keeps the defense more honest because he actually keeps the ball some.

It's time to go with Hinton, or whoever we think the future is. Wolford seems to do pretty good against the cupcakes, but how many good teams has be beaten? It does us no good for Wolford to be the one that gets the experience in losses down the stretch.
Exactly THE point after the Clemson game. We desperately need Hinton’s skills to compensate for serious limitations on OL and in the OC. How Clawson misses this is typical. If the OC and coach don’t make changes now then WF will be very lucky to get 1 Win the rest of the way if that. We are very, extremely, easy to defend schematically.

The way the loss happened was brutal, but so is the ACC. 13 teams, then a giant pile of crap, then below that, U*NC

I didn’t think our O-line played too poorly. Carney rushed for 70 yards on 10 attempts and Byrd had 4 for 22. They didn’t show up on 4th down plays which is obviously huge but magnifies an issue that wasn’t too bad in the rest of game. Also didn’t think Wolford played bad either and don’t get people calling for him to get benched. The play calling, however, on late downs and short were questionable at best. On the last 4th down I would’ve loved to see Dortch on the game sweep get a screen in open space after a fake hand off to Carney (another RPO, which worked great in the first half).
Also don’t understand abandoning Carney in the second half after he made the GT defense look like middle schoolers in the first half. That’s the most questionable decision of the game imo.
Defense didn’t play terrible but definitely not well. Our linebackers (specifically, Dawson) were not athletic enough to get to the spot. On two long TD runs by the QB Dawson was right there but can’t match up well enough athletically to make the play. Dude was a walk on for a reason. Love his effort and makes a lot of smart plays, but the fact he knows where to be and can’t get there is an absolute killer in facing a triple option team.

No more hate on the team. Game is entirely on the coaches. Pussy play calling on 3rd downs. Inexplicable calls for lateral Cade runs. Clawson is much more energetic than Grobe but displays the same LOWF tendencies.

Nah. USU and BC are 4-4. App is 5-2.
So? Those records don't make any kind of argument at all. App will only make a bowl because they're in the Sunbelt. Put them in a BCS conference and they go 5-7.

I didn’t think our O-line played too poorly. Carney rushed for 70 yards on 10 attempts and Byrd had 4 for 22. They didn’t show up on 4th down plays which is obviously huge but magnifies an issue that wasn’t too bad in the rest of game. Also didn’t think Wolford played bad either and don’t get people calling for him to get benched. The play calling, however, on late downs and short were questionable at best. On the last 4th down I would’ve loved to see Dortch on the game sweep get a screen in open space after a fake hand off to Carney (another RPO, which worked great in the first half).
Also don’t understand abandoning Carney in the second half after he made the GT defense look like middle schoolers in the first half. That’s the most questionable decision of the game imo.
Defense didn’t play terrible but definitely not well. Our linebackers (specifically, Dawson) were not athletic enough to get to the spot. On two long TD runs by the QB Dawson was right there but can’t match up well enough athletically to make the play. Dude was a walk on for a reason. Love his effort and makes a lot of smart plays, but the fact he knows where to be and can’t get there is an absolute killer in facing a triple option team.

Those were the halftime stats. Carney had 9 carries for 23 yards in the 2nd half, almost the same number of carries as in the first.

Bubble, regardless of whether or not Wolford keeps or not, we clearly weren't calling as many QB draws as usual. With that out of the playbook, they could tee off.

So? Those records don't make any kind of argument at all. App will only make a bowl because they're in the Sunbelt. Put them in a BCS conference and they go 5-7.

A 5-7 team isn't a cupcake.

Do we have a play to run outside to the edges when the defense has stuffed the box with 9 players ?

A 5-7 team isn't a cupcake.
The epitomy of LOWF right there. Look, I know we have an embarrassing football history so our standards for success are skewed, but App State is a lot closer to being a cupcake then to a meaningful game. You're not going to convince me that a narrow victory over a sunbelt team is proof of our competitiveness.

Back