• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

Yeah it's not Nick Saban's job to extend his players' NFL careers. Extending players' careers isn't really the NFL coaches' jobs either. Some coaches have some strategies for it, but it's really dumb to suggest Saban is a dick for giving his best back a ton of carries.

Dude could end up being a trent richardson bust in the NFL for all we know. wait did Saban destroy his nfl career too??

Yeah it's not Nick Saban's job to extend his players' NFL careers. Extending players' careers isn't really the NFL coaches' jobs either. Some coaches have some strategies for it, but it's really dumb to suggest Saban is a dick for giving his best back a ton of carries.

It's wrong to imply to a kid who has a severe grade 2-3 turf toe injury that nothing is that injured with him and he can't really hurt it further by numbing it and playing more. These are dumb 20 year olds who just want to play. Sometimes adults are needed to help them make the best decisions for them, not encouraging them to jeopardize their futures by minimizing risks and severity of injury. The way Saban treated Eddie Lacy was absolutely unethical. Derek Henry is a completely different situation.

Oh the horror of a college football coach giving his best player a bunch of touches in two must win football games. Im sure Henry wishes he could have his workload reduced. Stop being so fucking dense.

Also McCaffrey has had more touches than Henry the last two weeks. Does that make David Shaw the goddamn devil?

No problem with this view at all, but then don't turn around and speak out of the other side of your mouth like you care one iota about student-athletes and you are "saving" them from the horrors of extra plays run due to up tempo offenses. Makes Saban look like a hypocrite.

Oh the horror of a college football coach giving his best player a bunch of touches in two must win football games. Im sure Henry wishes he could have his workload reduced. Stop being so fucking dense.

Also McCaffrey has had more touches than Henry the last two weeks. Does that make David Shaw the goddamn devil?

Great point if it was true.

Derek Henry had 46 carries against Auburn and 44 against Florida (games that Bama won by a double digits). McCaffrey had 27 carries against ND, 3 pass receptions and 6 kick returns against ND, and 32 carries 4 pass receptions and 7 kick returns against USC.

That's 90 touches for Henry, and 79 for McCaffrey. So, the standard is whether the player would take himself out of the game? That's not going to happen. Would 50 carries for Henry in each game be too much? Does Henry have to get hurt before he should be taken out?

It's wrong to imply to a kid who has a severe grade 2-3 turf toe injury that nothing is that injured with him and he can't really hurt it further by numbing it and playing more. These are dumb 20 year olds who just want to play. Sometimes adults are needed to help them make the best decisions for them, not encouraging them to jeopardize their futures by minimizing risks and severity of injury. The way Saban treated Eddie Lacy was absolutely unethical. Derek Henry is a completely different situation.

Yeah, generally agree with this.

No problem with this view at all, but then don't turn around and speak out of the other side of your mouth like you care one iota about student-athletes and you are "saving" them from the horrors of extra plays run due to up tempo offenses. Makes Saban look like a hypocrite.

You must spread rep. A fantastic point

If Henry wins the Heisman, it will be in part because of the last two games, and something tells me he will forgive Saban for running him like a dog.

My bad, on a sports talk podcast I listen to one of the guys was arguing for McCaffrey to get the Heisman and used him getting more touches as part of his argument. I guess I should of double checked his stats. Maybe he was referring to the two games before last weekend.

But either way I have no problem with any player getting that much run. And I agree what Saban said about player safety and fast tempo offenses was dumb, and I'm not going to defend it.

ACC votes to increase bowl eligibility to 7-5

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
John Swofford said ACC AD’s voted to increase bowl eligibility to 7-5 record. Obviously would have to pass nationally before any changes

6-6 teams would be selected for bowls if there are slots open after all the eligible teams were selected first.

John Swofford said ACC AD’s voted to increase bowl eligibility to 7-5 record. Obviously would have to pass nationally before any changes

6-6 teams would be selected for bowls if there are slots open after all the eligible teams were selected first.

This might kill some of the bowls. There were barely enough teams eligible for bowls this year, and there was a real chance that some 5-7 teams were going to have to be used to fill out the bowl roster.

This might kill some of the bowls. There were barely enough teams eligible for bowls this year, and there was a real chance that some 5-7 teams were going to have to be used to fill out the bowl roster.

Nebraska made a bowl game this year with a 5-7 record.

Nebraska made a bowl game this year with a 5-7 record.

Three teams did. I honestly don't understand why this is always such a big deal. Who cares if there is more football with interesting matchups in places that fans want to travel. Hell let us play Purdue or Rutgers. Let Kansas and UCF play each other in the battle of defeateds. Who the hell cares?

How is this good for the conference? So before a 6-6 ACC team would play in a bowl over a 6-6 group of 5 team through an ACC tie-in. Now a 6-6 ACC team will only play in a bowl after all the other bowl-eligible teams (including 6-6 group of 5 teams) are taken? And it doesn't even make a move toward killing off the low end bowls (if that's the idea) since they'll still fill any openings with 6-6 ACC teams. Think I must be missing something.

Three teams did. I honestly don't understand why this is always such a big deal. Who cares if there is more football with interesting matchups in places that fans want to travel. Hell let us play Purdue or Rutgers. Let Kansas and UCF play each other in the battle of defeateds. Who the hell cares?

Doesn't bother me, the more college football the better as far as I'm concerned, I watch the MACtion games on Tuesday nights. Can't get enough.

Counting the semis but not the finals, there are 40 bowl games this year, so a total of 80 teams. My quick count showed 12 six win teams and three 5 win teams. So basically, the ACC wants to wipe out 8 bowl games. I wonder if this means the ACC is losing money sending teams to shit bowl games.

I read that tweet to say 6-6 teams wouldn't jump 7-5 teams in the bowl order, not that the ACC wants to kill off bowls.

How is this good for the conference? So before a 6-6 ACC team would play in a bowl over a 6-6 group of 5 team through an ACC tie-in. Now a 6-6 ACC team will only play in a bowl after all the other bowl-eligible teams (including 6-6 group of 5 teams) are taken? And it doesn't even make a move toward killing off the low end bowls (if that's the idea) since they'll still fill any openings with 6-6 ACC teams. Think I must be missing something.
The ACC is not going to do it on their own, they passed it to push the idea to the NCAA overall. Either the NCAA or all the Power 5 conferences adopt it or the ACC keeps it on the back-burner.

The ACC is not going to do it on their own, they passed it to push the idea to the NCAA overall. Either the NCAA or all the Power 5 conferences adopt it or the ACC keeps it on the back-burner.

Makes sense for the ACC to push a plan in which 7 win ACC teams get bowl slots before 6 win SEC and Big Ten teams.

Back