• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

He also got knocked out of their narrow Louisville win, their loss to GT and he didn't play in the bowl game against OU (granted, a big win). That's a lot of missed action

Probably.

TBC I'm not predicting they massively disappoint, I'll just go with them missing the CFP

You need a lot of luck to win a national championship. Alabama had some last night, no doubt. Two really great teams. Defensively, Bama just didn't have it last night. They looked slow and tired. Kirby Smart didn't have a sound defensive plan and it nearly cost them. Alabama's ROT was horrendous. Not sure I've ever seen an OL have a worse game, part of which was due to Clemson's excellent DL and much of which was Jackson's poor effort. I thought Kiffin's first half play calling was poor, too. Again - some of that was execution, some of it was stout defense from the Tigers. I don't think Clemson got Alabama's best shot last night, but I do think, again, the Tide had luck on its side. What a great game.

You need a lot of luck to win a national championship. Alabama had some last night, no doubt. Two really great teams. Defensively, Bama just didn't have it last night. They looked slow and tired. Kirby Smart didn't have a sound defensive plan and it nearly cost them. Alabama's ROT was horrendous. Not sure I've ever seen an OL have a worse game, part of which was due to Clemson's excellent DL and much of which was Jackson's poor effort. I thought Kiffin's first half play calling was poor, too. Again - some of that was execution, some of it was stout defense from the Tigers. I don't think Clemson got Alabama's best shot last night, but I do think, again, the Tide had luck on its side. What a great game.

CYiSsCxUEAANrpj.png

Let's move the Raiders to Birmingham. Time to give those yokels something else to care about and spend money on

SEC wins a record 9 games in the bowl season--not bad for a 'down year', huh! Plus of course--The Natty Title as Dabo would have called it.

"“When Alabama lost to Ole Miss in September, the Crimson Tide’s dynasty was supposedly in shambles. By Week 11, there were only two SEC teams in the College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama finished the season as the only team in the conference with fewer than three losses, and as the SEC’s top teams beat each other up in league play, the Big Ten became the new popular choice as the “best conference in college football.”

Despite all that, the SEC just set an NCAA record with nine bowl wins in 11 post-season games. Alabama (2), Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Arkansas all won their bowl games by a combined score of 383-171. Florida’s blowout loss to Michigan and Texas A&M’s 27-21 loss to Louisville are the only blemishes on the SEC’s record in bowl play.

Ohio State finished the season looking like a Playoff-worthy team, but the Big Ten went 5-5 overall in bowls. The Pac-12, led by Stanford’s Rose Bowl win, went 6-3, the ACC was 4-6, and the Big 12 was 3-4.”

And yet South Carolina couldn't beat Citadel

Nope, not this season, but hopefully with new blood in Columbia and a lot of great recruits coming in, they should be back in the hunt fairly soon. They are only 2 seasons removed from back to back to back 11 win seasons under the Head Ball Coach. So it shouldn't take them long. That league, as you might know wsc, is quite a bit tougher than the ACC! One can't just go out there and get a few recruits and expect to make it by beating a few has beens like BC & Syracuse. You run the gauntlet in the SEC every game, as evidenced by the 9-2 bowl showing. [not a 4-6 this year or 4-7 last year like the ACC has--or being ranked last of the 5 Power 5 conferences in the Sagarin index]

Nope, not this season, but hopefully with new blood in Columbia and a lot of great recruits coming in, they should be back in the hunt fairly soon. They are only 2 seasons removed from back to back to back 11 win seasons under the Head Ball Coach. So it shouldn't take them long. That league, as you might know wsc, is quite a bit tougher than the ACC! One can't just go out there and get a few recruits and expect to make it by beating a few has beens like BC & Syracuse. You run the gauntlet in the SEC every game, as evidenced by the 9-2 bowl showing. [not a 4-6 this year or 4-7 last year like the ACC has--or being ranked last of the 5 Power 5 conferences in the Sagarin index]

What makes you think Muschamp is going to do anything in Columbia?

That league, as you might know wsc, is quite a bit tougher than the ACC! One can't just go out there and get a few recruits and expect to make it by beating a few has beens like BC & Syracuse. You run the gauntlet in the SEC every game

The SEC West, yes.

The SEC East, no.

The SEC West, yes.

The SEC East, no.

The SEC East is coming back also and while not as tough as the West, they will be quite good. UT will win 10 games or more next season I would think. Florida, if they can solve the QB issue, will always be good just because of recruiting base. They won the East this year with defense. UGa has new blood, SC has new blood & is already getting great recruits. Vandy is making great strides. Who knows what will happen with Mizzou or KY?

ACC is already better with new coaches we got in Richt, Fuentes & Mendenhall, but still a long way off from what the SEC & Big 12 have going. The Big 10 is a year or more up on the ACC with new coaches in place like Harbaugh, Franklin & Chryst to go along with Meyer, Dantonio, Ferentz, Wilson & Fitzgerald.

But we have to show the rest of the country that we are more than just the Clemson & FSU show on the national stage. Even right now Slabach's "Too Early Top 25" has Clemson #1 & FSU #6. The Tar Holes come in at 17 and Louisville at 24. He has 5 SEC and 6 Pac 12 teams listed. [he gave honorable mention props to Miami, VT however among his 5 just missing the cut]

I had some clown at a bar in CLT last night tell me that, had Will Grier not been suspended, Florida would have been in the national championship game.

Lulz

I'm not the only one to make this point, but the only people that care about their own conference's standing are the bad teams in the good conferences

The SEC East is coming back also and while not as tough as the West, they will be quite good. UT will win 10 games or more next season I would think. Florida, if they can solve the QB issue, will always be good just because of recruiting base. They won the East this year with defense. UGa has new blood, SC has new blood & is already getting great recruits. Vandy is making great strides. Who knows what will happen with Mizzou or KY?

ACC is already better with new coaches we got in Richt, Fuentes & Mendenhall, but still a long way off from what the SEC & Big 12 have going. The Big 10 is a year or more up on the ACC with new coaches in place like Harbaugh, Franklin & Chryst to go along with Meyer, Dantonio, Ferentz, Wilson & Fitzgerald.

But we have to show the rest of the country that we are more than just the Clemson & FSU show on the national stage. Even right now Slabach's "Too Early Top 25" has Clemson #1 & FSU #6. The Tar Holes come in at 17 and Louisville at 24. He has 5 SEC and 6 Pac 12 teams listed. [he gave honorable mention props to Miami, VT however among his 5 just missing the cut]

Shout out to the Reff for identifying IU coach Kevin Wilson. Only at Indiana can a coach get a 6 year extension after going 6-7 and be viewed as having had a break through year!

Looking forward to the IU-Wake game next September in Bloomington. Hope some of you make the trip.

Back