• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SEC baseball = to SEC football

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
Simply the best conference in the country year after year in both baseball & football.

SEC wins 5 straight football titles and gets 2 teams in BCS bowls every year.

SEC baseball is 6-0 in the CWS this year against outside competition and 3-0 against the ACC [Big 12 was 0-4, ACC now 2-3 & PAC 10 is 1-1 ]

As the announcer just said, the CWS is the SEC invitational

Clemson, FSU, Texas, etc. say hello.

Should I add Oregon State, Fresno State, Miami, etc?

Last edited:
But yea, as bojanglefunk said, teams from the Big XII and Pac 10 routinely win the CWS as well.

Why would Clemson say hello? The Gamecocks flat out own them in Omaha.

The past couple years the SEC has dominated but not year after year. Before LSU won in 2009 a SEC team hadn't won since 2000. In fact take LSU out of the SEC than only one SEC team has won the CWS in the past 20 years. If it weren't for LSU the SEC would have less CWS wins than the Big West in the past 20 years so the SEC is completely overrated. They don't dominate baseball like they do in football.

Reff and siff should start a message board for disaffected Wake alumni whose kids attend USC.

The past couple years the SEC has dominated but not year after year. Before LSU won in 2009 a SEC team hadn't won since 2000. In fact take LSU out of the SEC than only one SEC team has won the CWS in the past 20 years. If it weren't for LSU the SEC would have less CWS wins than the Big West in the past 20 years so the SEC is completely overrated. They don't dominate baseball like they do in football.

They have this year, won the CWS last year

In fact, if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. That is like saying if Dave Odom didn't get Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan, we would not have back to back ACC titles. But he did and we did and the SEC did.

I can only hope to see the day when the ACC gets 2 teams into BCS bowls in the same year. Right now we only have 2 BCS wins in the past decade or so.

Reff and siff should start a message board for disaffected Wake alumni whose kids attend USC.

Can't say right now there will be many of us on this board who want to pay $55,000 a year for college when you can get just as good an education at many other places for far less money.

The SEC has been very strong the last few seasons, but outside of LSU it was a very average league for quite a long time.

Can't say right now there will be many of us on this board who want to pay $55,000 a year for college when you can get just as good an education at many other places for far less money.

South Carolina ain't one of them.

The SEC has been very strong the last few seasons, but outside of LSU it was a very average league for quite a long time.

Once ADs at SEC schools started to realize that they could actually make money with baseball, the stakes got raised in a major way. While LSU dominated the league (and nationally) in the 1990s, the SEC as a whole was very good in that decade as well. It's really been a 20+ year run, with the SEC essentially taking the Pac-10's place as the dominant league.

I would also like to note that the Big West is 0-1 alltime in CWS play against the Southern Conference...

:rulz:...stfu is all I can think of right now...so stfu

They have this year, won the CWS last year

In fact, if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle. That is like saying if Dave Odom didn't get Randolph Childress and Tim Duncan, we would not have back to back ACC titles. But he did and we did and the SEC did.

I can only hope to see the day when the ACC gets 2 teams into BCS bowls in the same year. Right now we only have 2 BCS wins in the past decade or so.

When you say the SEC is dominating baseball year after year what you're implying is that every team in the SEC is doing well and multiple teams from the SEC have been winning the CWS for years. But the fact is only one team makes up most of the CWS wins the SEC has (LSU). This is what I'm implying with my if statement that LSU make up most of the SEC CWS wins. You're previous post is like saying the Swiss are dominating tennis.

I live in Columbia so I get a fair amount of SEC blathering...
USC is strong in baseball and Ray Tanner is a great baseball coach. It will be very interesting to see how they do in the next few years as their coaching staff gets poached. There is a chance it could be a Moranda type effect.
Florida schools (UF) will always be strong because the talent is just so good. Growing up in SoFla it was ridiculous because we played baseball all year round and never missed a beat.

As far as education goes, except for a few programs, you almost couldn't pay me to go to USC vs Wake.

CWS appearances in the past 10 years:

SEC - 24
ACC - 19 (maybe less - couldn't remember when Miami joined the ACC)
Pac10 - 14
Big12 - 11

(From Wiki and with my probably poor counting)

The SEC and the ACC have consistently played the best baseball in the country over the past decade or so, but the top of the Pac 10 and Big 12 have been very good too. The SEC has 2 CWS wins in the past 10 years (as do the Pac10 and Big12), and as we all know, the ACC hasn't won one since Wake did it in 1955. It is certainly not the run away that TheReff makes it out to be, but I think if I had to pick, I would say the SEC has been the best conference over the past decade.

I live in Columbia so I get a fair amount of SEC blathering...
USC is strong in baseball and Ray Tanner is a great baseball coach. It will be very interesting to see how they do in the next few years as their coaching staff gets poached. There is a chance it could be a Moranda type effect.
Florida schools (UF) will always be strong because the talent is just so good. Growing up in SoFla it was ridiculous because we played baseball all year round and never missed a beat.

As far as education goes, except for a few programs, you almost couldn't pay me to go to USC vs Wake.

I seriously doubt they'll be poached. Meyers came back after a stint as HC at Old Dominion and Holbrook took his name out of the running at Tennessee. USC is gonna be strong in baseball for a long time to come and with that new stadium make a lot of $$$ in baseball.

Back