• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SEC baseball = to SEC football

Back on topic, SEC vs. SEC in the championship series after South Carolina's epic 13 inning victory last night when the two closers each went 5 innings. SEC teams only losses in the entire CWS were against other SEC schools.

Wait a second, southern schools dominate in a sport where they have the right weather for their recruiting pool to play year around? Get the fuck out of here. Tt is a damn miracle Oregon St was able to win a national title considering the weather sucks 7-8 months out of the year. Considering the resources the SEC has poured into the sport (not complaining, they spent money to build great facilities and are winning which is usually how it works) they should be winning all the time.

If weather alone is your criteria then California schools would always win. Not to mention many of the ACC schools are in great weather areas too. The recent dominance of the SEC has little to do with weather and more to do with resource allocation.

If weather alone is your criteria then California schools would always win. Not to mention many of the ACC schools are in great weather areas too. The recent dominance of the SEC has little to do with weather and more to do with resource allocation.

You must have missed the part where I talked about the resources the SEC has spent on their programs. Look at the list of winner over the past 40 years. There are not too many schools on the list where their recruits can't play year around outdoors. A Michigan is never again going to have a dominate baseball program. Last time I checked the weather is just as or almost as nice in Texas, Fl, Georgia, Az, and La as it is in California during the winter months.

Southern Schools are not the ones dominating college baseball. Its a much smaller subcategory of southern schools called the SEC. The ACC and much of the Big 12 schools have a lot of sunshine too. As mentioned before, its resources and fan interest (which usually go hand in hand.) Look at the 10 attendance schools for college baseball and it will pretty much look like the SEC standings.

Are you purposefully ignoring half of what he says?

He agrees with you. The weather does play a role, but predominantly it's about the facilities and other resources.

Coastal Carolina is the fastest growing university in South Carolina I believe. It has several great majors for those wanting hotel and travel type businesses. Plus their marine & ocean majors are top notch. Plus their golf management major is excellent.

There are many great institutions of higher learning out there where a person doesn't have to over spend at $55,000 a year to major in psychology or history and go be a school teacher. [ not that we don't need well educated teachers, but it just doesn't pay enough to make that kind of investment worth it in the job market ] Make great grades somewhere else where it doesn't kill you to do so. Save the money and come back to a place like Wake for the great grad schools [ Calloway business, Law school and med schools ]

Like I said, lets see how many of the parents and future parents of college age kids are going to spend $250 k or more for undergrad educations?

In the mean time, it is a all SEC baseball final. Seems I read somewhere that the SEC may have been undefeated against outside competition in the college baseball playoffs. Losing only in games to each other like FL-Vandy

Top notch grad schools are the places to spend

Your point was that NC kids can get a great education there, at Coastal Carolina, without spending as much. I said that they can get the same or better (really better) education for less from an in-state NC school. I don't think it's even debatable. Coastal is a crap school.

Oh, and btw, Calloway is the undergraduate business school.

If you want to make great grades to get into a great grad school, you're better off doing it at UNC-CH than USC. And the idea of getting into a top notch grad school out of Coastal is nuts.

Why do you loathe your alma mater so much that you constantly feel the need to tell us about USC and the SEC? There are plenty of Gamecock forums out there. Somehow, your disdain for Wake has expanded to the point that you're recommending kids go to awful schools instead of Wake.

Last edited:
You must have missed the part where I talked about the resources the SEC has spent on their programs. Look at the list of winner over the past 40 years. There are not too many schools on the list where their recruits can't play year around outdoors. A Michigan is never again going to have a dominate baseball program. Last time I checked the weather is just as or almost as nice in Texas, Fl, Georgia, Az, and La as it is in California during the winter months.

We are agreeing to an extent. I do agree with resource allocation.

My point is that many areas/conferences have great weather, but only the SEC seems to have capitalized on that.

I think good weather is a baseline, then it depends on resource allocation. Being a public school also helps a great deal.

I think good weather is a baseline, then it depends on resource allocation. Being a public school also helps a great deal.

Vandy's in the Series. USC west has more titles than anyone. Miami has been very good at times.

Not sure public/private matters any more than it does in a revenue sport.

Due to the scholarship limitations it definitely does matter more than it does in basketball or football. How Vanderbilt, Miami, and USC get around it I don't know, but it definitely is more difficult to build a contending program at a private school.

Add Stanford and Rice to the private schools that have had very successful baseball programs. It seems to me that it is difficult for private schools to build strong baseball programs from the ground up, but once you have a baseline of success resource allocation has much more to do with it (as evidenced by the USCs, Stanfords, Miamis etc. of the world).

Add Stanford and Rice to the private schools that have had very successful baseball programs. It seems to me that it is difficult for private schools to build strong baseball programs from the ground up, but once you have a baseline of success resource allocation has much more to do with it (as evidenced by the USCs, Stanfords, Miamis etc. of the world).

I should have thought of those two.

By the time you figure need based aid, merit aid and partial scholarships, a good many baseball player should still be going to school mostly free. It might actually be tougher for a state-school player to get aid to cover the rest of his scholarship without taking out loans. Have definitely heard of it being true when applied to smaller private school baseball programs. My D-III alma mater has gotten guys that were going to be getting smaller scholarships to D-I programs than they coudl get in a total aid package from us. Of course, it also helps that playing D-I baseball in the midwest is basically saying I don't care about winning.

If Seminoles could play the Gators every time they make the CWS, they would have won it by now. Seminoles pretty much own the gators in baseball no matter how great of a year the gators are having.

If Seminoles could play the Gators every time they make the CWS, they would have won it by now. Seminoles pretty much own the gators in baseball no matter how great of a year the gators are having.

FSU used to own the Gators in football until Bowden got old and still had Chuckie the Chest dividing the staff. Probably will get back to prominance with Jimbo as coach & Urban gone from Gatorland. We shall see.

SEC has solidly passed the ACC in baseball & football. Passed the rest of the country easily in football. Basketball is about as even as it gets country-wide with players leaving early. Still, the ACC has only 2 consistently great teams and that is Duke & UNC-Ch. SEC has KY year to year and that is about it.

SEC just has it all going for it right now with stadiums and fan support for both football and baseball

Back