• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SEC Expansion Comes Up Again

Alright, I am jumping back into this one. Here is the deal on this one: Aggies are still not happy with the way things went down at the last hour on the last expansion waivering. They feel that UT beat them at the game. As mentioned Rick Perry is an A&M alum. UT obviously wants A&M around in the conference for their economic benefit.
I just finished 1.5 years at A&M and the school has a very SEC feel to it (don't ask me what that is). I used to be the biggest A&M critic and think they were overrated. But their is a lot of talent on this team. Offensively, I would put Michael, Gray and Fuller up against any other team's top 3 skill players. The loss of Miller and Hodges is huge admittedly so I can see many how scoring games.
My prediction is that the Aggies start off 8-0 and then get blown out by OU in maybe the biggest game of the year (both teams should be top 5). And then I can see A&M coming back dazed and losing at KSU the next week. I smell Cotton Bowl again realticially with maybe a shot at a little more. They are a fun team to watch. I thin kt eh move to the SEC would be very interesting. The recruiting battle in Texas is Texas and then A&M, Oklahoma and LSU fighting regional recuriting battles.

Nobody wants an ACC school right now. Every team is terrible.

A&M seems to me like they are destined to disappoint this year. Granted I thought they would be terrible last year and they do have DeRuyter (thanks again for not hiring him back in '07 Grobe), but I'm not a huge believer in Sherman. I smell like 8-4 out of them.

Anyway, main subject at hand ... apparently their board of regents was already meeting tomorrow anyway to discuss the Longhorn Network (the meeting is interestingly entitled "Big 12 Conference"), so this story might have legs and there might be some real unhappiness there.

ETA: The SEC has been talking about redoing their ESPN deal due to the big payday the Pac-12 got, and adding TA+M would be some nice leverage for them. This story def may have legs.

Last edited:
Slive today at media day says 16 is just a number and he could have 4 more teams in 15 minutes if he wanted. Hah!

Slive today at media day says 16 is just a number and he could have 4 more teams in 15 minutes if he wanted. Hah!

What if for some insane reason the SEC came after Wake?

We would jump on that bus in 15 minutes.

So his point is valid.

It would actually be kind of cool to be in the SEC because then we could play UNC, Duke, and State out of conference, we would be in the top 3 basketball teams every year (once we get this ship righted), and we would be the doormat for football but thats not much worse than having a fluke good year and a bunch of mediocre years in the ACC. It would probably help football recruiting too.

only four road games (@texas tech and @oklahoma are tough, but @k-state and @iowa state shouldnt be too bad) and a nuetral site game vs arkansas

at home the other 5 "big 12" games plus Idaho and SMU non-conference.

They will lose to Ark, @OU, and either @TT or @OSU, if not both. Texas will be a tossup, and they will probably lose some game at home that they aren't jacked up for. They are aggies. 8-4, 9-3 at best. Sherman benefited from a dismal conference last year. He may again this year if he's lucky.

Texas A & M and Oklahoma would be quite a pair to add. Make it Ok St & Texas Tech and that would be quite a 16 team league.

Neither of those schools would be added unless required by politics. They couldn't carry their weight in the SEC from a revenue perspective.

Big 12 not letting the Longhorn Network show high school football games now. Apparently a pretty big stink has been raised over that

Damage could theoretically already be done. It's all about power, but I am not sure what TAMU and OU were expecting (especially OU who was ready to do whatever Texas told them to do last summer).

OU got the 2nd sweetest revenue deal in the negotiations, which is why they stuck around. aTm got a similar deal. Still, it alienated the rest of the league. Football brings in the bank and influence, which is something Kansas fans don't like very much.

I think its in the cards that Texas will go independent. They think too highly of themselves to not do just that, especially if they would be uninhibited by league restrictions regarding whatever money potential they see in a network. Honestly, I don't see much revenue potential from it without Texas HS football, but I think they made a deal already with ESPN that brought in some $. It will be interesting to see if that deal was contingent upon the HS football games. I doubt it, but I can't imagine ESPN paid to get the highlights for the one or two UT football games/year that will be on the network.

Nobody wants an ACC school right now. Every team is terrible.

Florida State is preseason top 5 by most accounts. Whether that pans out or not is to be seen, but I don't think anyone thinks FSU is "terrible." I also don't think anyone thinks Va Tech is "terrible." Whether anyone wants them is a separate issue.

They will lose to Ark, @OU, and either @TT or @OSU, if not both. Texas will be a tossup, and they will probably lose some game at home that they aren't jacked up for. They are aggies. 8-4, 9-3 at best. Sherman benefited from a dismal conference last year. He may again this year if he's lucky.

okie st is at home on sept 24. and then arkansas in dallas the next week. arkansas will be coming off a trip to tuscaloosa the week before.

two winnable but very losable games.

Adding OU and A&M would be a big get for the SEC, but might upset the people of Alabama, as it would likely result in Auburn being moved to the SEC East.

Back