• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Seeking Sponsors for WFU-Hosted Band Competition

Yes. 50 of them were able to attend that game.

I'm going to Chapel Hill and would be glad to take a couple of tuba players. By the way the band has done a good job this year per usual.

So what would it take to get wake to these games? just curious.

To what games? To attend every away game each year (which almost no marching band in the nation does) would probably cost more than $150,000. Additionally, it would leave you with a smaller band because many would become disgruntled for rarely having a weekend that was duty-free.

The Maryland band only goes to one game per year (usually) and thats either @UVA/VT or if we don't play there one of the Carolina schools to make it a day trip and eliminate costs. Hell we didn't take anybody up to New York for Coaches vs. Cancer last year even though that was only Thursday and Friday and could've made it home for the football game Saturday or something (used a local high school band, can't remember if the other schools (Illinois, Pitt, Texas) did too). I remember you guys took a bus to BC, did you stay overnight or just do a brutal bus trip? And why BC and not a closer school?

No real dog in this fight obviously, I'm just curious and you don't have to answer if you don't want to. I know that if I was in the band I probably would be slightly disgruntled that my road trips had no variation so taking them up to Boston was cool even if it wasn't for too long.

Ugh... Pulaski? Screw those guys.

I don't have anything else to add.

We destroyed them when I was in high school. They came down from VA and us little NC boys put them in their place.

Bder can confirm or deny this, but I would assume that WFU would send a smaller pep band, which would leave plenty people here to conduct the competition. Obviously I dont have any inside information, but thats how we ran things when I was in the band. We'd take up to one busload of players that signed up to go.

For anyone complaining about the band not traveling more, buy an ad for the program or buy a ticket and come watch. Easy way to help with the budget.

As far as why its on this date, my guess is that is when the organizing committee wanted it to be and asked Wake to host. Possibly even before we knew what the football schedule was. Wake gets exposure to high school students (band kids are usually smart, 3 of the 4 kids in my graduating class who went to Wake were in the band in high school) who may consider coming to Wake after this.

Also, high school band competitions are on Saturdays in the fall. That's the only day they can be held without kids missing a lot of school or conflicting with other sports that use football fields during the week.

We destroyed them when I was in high school. They came down from VA and us little NC boys put them in their place.

Bder can confirm or deny this, but I would assume that WFU would send a smaller pep band, which would leave plenty people here to conduct the competition. Obviously I dont have any inside information, but thats how we ran things when I was in the band. We'd take up to one busload of players that signed up to go.

Yes. Pep band to UNC according to band website. Keeper could have avoided derailing the entire thread simply checking the band schedule.

I support keeper's right to question why the band isn't in Chapel Hill.

This whole disupte could be avoided if we dropped the band program entirely and unveiled our frisbee dog team.

Why don't we play the visiting team's fight song any more?

Why don't we play the visiting team's fight song any more?

Lack of time during pre-game. If there are special presentations, we are asked to cut down our show to allow time for those. The visiting team's fight song is a convenient thing to cut because it involves no drill (movement) and not learning an extra song.

ETA: Although we have not done it for the first 4 games, that does not mean we won't be doing it in the future.

Last edited:
you really need to get this stuff out sooner

I appreciate the input. I've already secured enough advertisements for the program but was reminded that this board might be a good resource as well. If you'd like to be contacted for next year's event, please feel free to PM me.

Ouch, I find myself agreeing with Keeper. Of ALL the days to hold a fund raiser and force our band to stay at home, our AD chose the UNC game? Really?

Ouch, I find myself agreeing with Keeper. Of ALL the days to hold a fund raiser and force our band to stay at home, our AD chose the UNC game? Really?

At any point in this thread has anyone said that we definitely aren't sending a band to the Carolina game?

At any point in this thread has anyone said that we definitely aren't sending a band to the Carolina game?

Nope, but it was implied in another thread that it would depend on the game time set by the ACC before this thread was even started. Dual booking the UNC weekend is an awful idea. Most any other away game weekend would have made far more sense.

At any point in this thread has anyone said that we definitely are sending a band to the Carolina game? It's the one away game that we should always send a band to, no question. Circle it on the calendar before the season starts.

You seem personally offended, but you implied earlier that the AD made the decision.

Last edited:
Nope, but it was implied in another thread that it would depend on the game time set by the ACC before this thread was even started. Dual booking the UNC weekend is an awful idea. Most any other away game weekend would have made far more sense.

At any point in this thread has anyone said that we definitely are sending a band to the Carolina game?

Unfortunately we can't say whether we definitely are or aren't at this point. That makes a very frustrating situation for all parties involved. USSBA officials want to know, band staff want to know, students want to know. Right now we all just have to wait.

Why is it an awful idea? If the UNC game time had been noon or 12:30 there would be no issue. A 3:30 game time presents a bit of an issue. A evening game would have presented a slightly bigger issue. But what you don't see is how all of the parties mentioned above are working to try to please everyone.

Folks who would like to see the band at more away games are encouraged to make donations. Money gets the band to games. It's that simple. Without your donations, how do we get to more games in the future? By holding events like the one we're holding. You know how we get a bigger, louder band (which I believe everyone but HeavyPetter wants)? By holding events like the one we're holding.

Regarding: "Most any other away game weekend would have made far more sense."
Away games:
Syracuse- Too early for a high school competition and Deacon Tower was booked.
BC - Band attended and too early for a high school competition of this magnitude and Bridger was booked.
Duke - Students on fall break. No students to work the event and Bridger was booked.
Clemson - High schools are done competing. Deacon Tower was booked.

I see both sides. I don't really understand why there's a band event the day of the UNC game of all weekends, but at the same time fundraisers like this are always needed to help out the band and with the bye week not falling in October when most high school bands go to competition it's not like that weekend could have been chosen. It was either the Duke game or the UNC game.

This isn't the thread to discuss it on though since the thread was aimed at sponsors for the event not a theoretical discussion on the event's existence.

Also even if keeper has a valid point it was obviously trolling and I don't see why we continue to allow him to post here since one of the rules is don't be a dick.

Back