• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sen. Richard Burr is Scum (Wake related)

Carole Baskin donated to Richard Burr. You really can't make this shit up

She does lobby for animal rights bills.

That's a surprising development as ProPublica has such a sterling reputation to uphold.

I mean, they used Redfin, the local assessor's website, and Bob the real estate agent as sources.

It's pretty funny that Biff calls the article garbage even though it's where he learned about the story wasn't a big deal.

It's pretty funny that Biff calls the article garbage even though it's where he learned about the story wasn't a big deal.

Okay, let me modify my take. ProPublica is garbage for putting out a sensational headline accusing a US Senator of an ethics violation and then undercutting their own headline in the body of the article that Ph probably didn't read.

It reads like some dumbass muckraker decided he was going to investigate the sale of Burr's townhouse and got into it and realized there probably wasn't something shady going on and even if there were, it probably wasn't anywhere close to being egregious enough to prove. But, he had a day invested in the article and needed content, so it got shoveled out.

I didn't read it. You read it and said there wasn't much to it. Plus you said it's "garbage."

Seems more like the author did a thorough investigation and didn't find much. A disappointed editor slapped a scandalous title on it.

I can live with that. The disappointed editor should have just shitcanned it and told the reporter to write something worthwhile or he'll be covering the arrival of his own unemployment check.

Writers don't write their own headlines, fwiw, so I don't think that bad headlines really tell you much about the quality of a journalist's research and writing. ProPublica is usually quite good.

Writers don't write their own headlines, fwiw, so I don't think that bad headlines really tell you much about the quality of a journalist's research and writing. ProPublica is usually quite good.

So assuming you read the story, what do you think a suitable headline might have been?

"Burr Sells Townhome for Price at High End of Market"
"Townhome With Apartment Sells For More Than Similar Townhome Without Apartment"

So assuming you read the story, what do you think a suitable headline might have been?

"Burr Sells Townhome for Price at High End of Market"
"Townhome With Apartment Sells For More Than Similar Townhome Without Apartment"

“Senator sells house to lobbyist in private sale”

Which isn’t illegal and is common among desirable properties

Which isn’t illegal and is common among desirable properties

But raises all sorts of questions of why he privately sold it to a lobbyist who had businesses in front of his committee instead of putting it on an open market where there certainly would have been multiple offers pushing up the sale value.

And why can’t anyone produce the contemporaneous appraisal.

Back