• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

September 11, 2001 (Merge with 9/11 thread if there is one)

Interesting. I assumed their goal was to remove America from the Arabian Peninsula and otherwise bring the Caliphate into existence.

Interesting. I assumed their goal was to remove America from the Arabian Peninsula and otherwise bring the Caliphate into existence.

did you think that the doolittle raid was to ruin japanese manufacturing

Friendly request for you guys not to fuck this thread up with your tunnels bullshit.

I was at home getting ready to leave for work. My kids were 2 and 3 years old.

Heard on the radio about a plane striking one of the towers and turned on the tv thinking, wtf? How could some dingleberry accidentally fly their (assumedly) small plane into that building?

Watched then on live tv as the second airliner flew into the second tower.

Immediately the thoughts and feelings changed. Fuck, this is a coordinated terrorist attack.

Somehow managed to go on to work but had to leave before noon. I just couldn’t focus on anything else. Just went home and watched the news and felt stunned and actually somewhat afraid.

Whatever were their longer-term goals (likely only somewhat achieved), the terrorists that day were immensely successful in accomplishing their short-term ones.

It was nice to see and feel a largely unified USA and world come together afterwards. Unfortunately, such things (relative unity) don’t last.

Really a sad day for so many and with ongoing significant consequence.

:(

People like to talk about the “unity” of Sept 12 but much of that was Americans united against Muslims. We can do better than that.

One of the strongest unifiers is unified hate and it’s been that way since the beginning of civilization.

Is politics downstream of culture or is culture downstream of politics? Or put another way are we deriving our politics from our cultural zeitgeist or are we deriving our culture from our political zeitgeist?

Is politics downstream of culture or is culture downstream of politics? Or put another way are we deriving our politics from our cultural zeitgeist or are we deriving our culture from our political zeitgeist?

see guys? terrorists won. just look at this fucking sentence

I think it's a good question if you actually want to talk about whether the terrorists won. I mean Trump is a shitbag and all, but he's not jumping into war the way we did after 9/11. That AMERICA decade after 2001 was fucking dark, culturally speaking.

I think it's a good question if you actually want to talk about whether the terrorists won. I mean Trump is a shitbag and all, but he's not jumping into war the way we did after 9/11. That AMERICA decade after 2001 was fucking dark, culturally speaking.

darker than now?

People like to talk about the “unity” of Sept 12 but much of that was Americans united against Muslims. We can do better than that.

I would disagree with this to some extent. Sure, unified hate against the perpetrators was a factor but there was also a lot of unified grief and empathy - a large portion of the populous had some connection to someone who was either lost in the towers or who escaped. A son of some folks we know here - he was a year or two ahead of our daughter at the same HS - was one of the guys who carried the lady in a wheelchair down 60 or 70 flights of stairs. They all barely escaped the collapse.

darker than now?

In some ways, yea definitely. The culture had a weird discourse about torture, like Scalia referencing 24, the television program, to justify its use.

"Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia said. Then, recalling Season 2, where the agent's rough interrogation tactics saved California from a terrorist nuke, the Supreme Court judge etched a line in the sand.
"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so.

Harold and Kumar escaped from Guantanamo. We have fetishized the violence of the era too, like Zero Dark Thirty. The most popular reactions to it were the cynicism and sarcasm of John Stewart and the like.

I think we're too close to the Trump era now to reflect yet, but I think we're too beaten down day by day by the news to react meaningfully, culturally to it in the same ways.

This is topical

EEMpqkAWsAAwLbz

Back