• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

September 11, 2001 (Merge with 9/11 thread if there is one)

that's corny but stadiums full of people were chanting when his death was announced

a large portion of the populous had some connection to someone who was either lost in the towers or who escaped.

I often wonder if this is really true. I think most people want to be a part of something even if it’s a monumental tragedy so they form these tangential connection they otherwise would not.

Something like omg I know people that were in the tower and I could have been there, oh how so since you live in Iowa. Well I am I client of Morgan Stanley, and they had a large office there, and so you know. Also Fred’s neighbors sons friend lives in New York like only miles from the site, it’s crazy, oh he lives in queens.

I often wonder if this is really true. I think most people want to be a part of something even if it’s a monumental tragedy so they form these tangential connection they otherwise would not.

2zfvr6.jpg

I would disagree with this to some extent. Sure, unified hate against the perpetrators was a factor but there was also a lot of unified grief and empathy - a large portion of the populous had some connection to someone who was either lost in the towers or who escaped. A son of some folks we know here - he was a year or two ahead of our daughter at the same HS - was one of the guys who carried the lady in a wheelchair down 60 or 70 flights of stairs. They all barely escaped the collapse.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. 18 years later and you still equate Muslims with the perpetrators of 9/11.

Lol. Ph gonna Ph.

Nah. Pubs gonna Pub. Muslim Americans get harassed and your ilk drapes themselves in the flag and justify it as hate for the perpetrators of 9/11. Meanwhile, Obama as CIC takes out bin Laden and it's silence.

The Junebugs of the world always find a target. In the 00s, it was Muslims. In the 10s, it's Latinx immigrants. Who is next?

Something like omg I know people that were in the tower and I could have been there, oh how so since you live in Iowa. Well I am I client of Morgan Stanley, and they had a large office there, and so you know. Also Fred’s neighbors sons friend lives in New York like only miles from the site, it’s crazy, oh he lives in queens.

It's not. The odds of some rando red stater knowing someone who was directly impacted by it are pretty slim. I know like two people who were directly impacted and they worked at the towers but weren't at work that day.

Pretty sure folks can empathize, regardless.

That's not a bad thing.

And yes, appropriate empathy should extend to the mass of non-terrorist Muslims.

Yeah but there’s a difference between empathy and feeling like you were personally impacted.

also, heartlanders tend to not relate to coastal city dwellers beyond "american soil was struck"

if it happened today, some conservatives would probably put out statements about libs getting owned

oh, and odds are good the M&Ms would make some snarks about the evil Empire getting its just deserts

If you lived in or had strong connections to New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, it is highly likely you knew someone from high school or college that died that day or was significantly affected. I grew up in Long Island, two kids from my high school were killed (one from my class one from my sister's), my cousin worked on a lower floor of tower 1 and broke his arm trying to flee the scene, my dad worked across the street in the "World Financial Center" and used the subway stop in the basement of the WTC for his commute...we didn't hear from him for 24 hours, the list goes on.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about. 18 years later and you still equate Muslims with the perpetrators of 9/11.

He didn't say anything about Muslims. You're the one who took it there. And to think that the only unification that took place in America was hate is pretty awful. There was plenty of shared grief, empathy, love, determination, respect/appreciation for 1st responders, etc.

It's not. The odds of some rando red stater knowing someone who was directly impacted by it are pretty slim. I know like two people who were directly impacted and they worked at the towers but weren't at work that day.

Highly suspicious. Were they by any chance...Muslim???

PH has to be kidding. he knew two people who worked in one of the towers and BOTH took the same day off? Right....

One of the silliest and dumbest reactions after 9/11 was the "outrage" at putting a Muslim community center a few blocks from Ground Zero. Some said it would "overlook" hallowed ground. Some said Muslims shouldn't have have such a place at all.

The location of this center would have made people need Superman-esque sight to see through several blocks of big buildings just to get near Ground Zero. If you could see through those buildings, you'd then have to be able to look around at a 90 degree angle and be able to see another block. Now comes come the fun parts. A few doors down from the site were a couple of strip clubs which served liquor. Directly next door was a bar. That's bad for Muslim adherents, but that bar specialized in BBQ. Most of its menu had pork in it. That would fit in with Muslim dietary concerns.

Yes the "ground zero Mosque" was one of the more overtly bigoted and stupid talking points perpetuated by fox news/the right. And I don't say that lightly.

Back