• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

Part of the reason that LOST is a terrible comparison is because a radio show like this isn't scripted. It's not like they can just invent a better ending. Or wait the three years until Tyler's court proceedings have finished. They can just record as much as their budget allows and then produce it into nice hour-long segments. Plus it's TAL and they've got to shove in all kinds of on-the-nose metaphors. Plus i kinda hate the whole emphasis on diagnosis. The dude was clearly suffering from a lot more shit than the last episode tried to suggest. But the storytelling was great, reed was a good reporter, and John B. was a hell of an interesting character.

Listened to almost a dozen eps of My Favorite Murder on the road this weekend. Not for everyone but I find it hilarious and well done.

Just finished In the Dark. Has anyone listened to the pod they promoted on it, Someone Knows Something? Worth a listen?

My check out My Favorite Murder next. Thanks for the recs.

Oof... just listened to first episode of my favorite murder and well.... tell me it gets better. I love true crime books/movies/podcasts and I'm no prude, but damn. I just didn't find giggling about murder and serial killers to be funny or entertaining. I also found that the hosts were not exactly experts in the field and asked questions to themselves that I actually knew the answer to but they didn't. Ex. Who was that John guy whose son got kidnapped? Me ( frustrated)John Walsh!!

Last edited:
Oof... just listened to first episode of my favorite murder and well.... tell me it gets better. I love true crime books/movies/podcasts and I'm no prude, but damn. I just didn't find giggling about murder and serial killers to be funny or entertaining. I also found that the hosts were not exactly experts in the field and asked questions to themselves that I actually knew the answer to but they didn't. Ex. Who was that John guy whose son got kidnapped? Me ( frustrated)John Walsh!!

It's two airheads talking about things they don't really know about. Don't expect too much.

It's two airheads talking about things they don't really know about. Don't expect too much.

Fair enough :) One crime podcast I like where they do know what they are talking about is Real Crime Profile which has a former FBI profiler who now writes for Criminal Minds TV show discussing cases and giving a profiler's perspective into things. Usually a different case each week but sometimes they will take one case through several episodes.

I'm two episodes into Dirty John. It's pretty good. Although I almost despise Deborah as much as John all things considered (2 episodes in).

Re: Season 2

Bowe Bergdahl gets a dishonorable discharge, but won't go to prison.

Maryland Court of Special Appeals upholds new trial for Adnan Syed

In a 2-1 decision, the three-judge appeals court panel agreed with Brown that his trial lawyer was ineffective for failing to investigate a potential alibi witness who said she saw Syed at a public library in Woodlawn around the time the state claimed Syed killed Hae.

The panel said in its written decision that if testimony from Asia McClain had been presented to the jury, it would have "directly contradicted the State's theory of when Syed had the opportunity and did murder Hae," and could have created reasonable doubt in at least one juror's mind and led to a different outcome.

Season Three set to drop on September 20th

Serial is heading back to court. This time, in Cleveland. Not for one extraordinary case; instead, Serial wanted to tackle the whole criminal justice system. To do that we figured we’d need to look at something different: ordinary cases.

Inside these ordinary cases we found the troubling machinery of the criminal justice system on full display. We chose Cleveland, because they let us record everywhere — courtrooms, back hallways, judges’ chambers, prosecutors’ offices. And then we followed those cases outside the building, into neighborhoods, into people’s houses, and into prison.

We watched how justice is calculated in cases of all sizes, from the smallest misdemeanor to the most serious felony — the manipulations, the distortions, the justifications, the gap between the crimes people actually committed, and the crimes they were punished for.

This season, we tell you the extraordinary stories of ordinary cases. One courthouse, week by week.

I was thinking in terms of television lexicon which seems to have adopted the distinction between "serialized" and "episodic" entertainment and that the first two seasons of this podcast were like "serialized" television in that there was a single ongoing narrative, whereas this season seems like it will adopt the more "episodic" stance of tackling new cases each week. But I may be incorrectly using all of those words or they are more or less interchangeable

which was more disappointing? Serial season 2 or True Detective season 2?

I was thinking in terms of television lexicon which seems to have adopted the distinction between "serialized" and "episodic" entertainment and that the first two seasons of this podcast were like "serialized" television in that there was a single ongoing narrative, whereas this season seems like it will adopt the more "episodic" stance of tackling new cases each week. But I may be incorrectly using all of those words or they are more or less interchangeable

No, no, that all makes sense. I agree, and I think you're right.

Though to keep people's attention there's got to be some kind of ongoing story, right?

Back