• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SHAKA! SHAKA! SHAKA! - LET'S BE POSITIVE. WE'RE STILL ALIVE!

Shaka would absolutely listen to the right offer (and I do have a source) but I highly doubt we are willing to make him the right offer. 2.5mill+

Which is pretty sick considering we were paying Bzzz $1.4 mil

Love ya, RJ, but this is Monopoly money you are playing with here. Until some donors step up with major, major coin, we plain cannot afford him. This isn't LOWF speak, either. This is LOWF donor speak. The Deacon Club does not bring in the funds to afford a guy like Shaka. For the record, I am all for a McCreary-type swooping in and saying, "F scoreboards, F Joel renovations, F scholarships - I want my $10m gift to go Shaka's 3-4 year contract." Rich folk can spend their money on whatever they want. But they'll need to spend to get Shaka. Leave the College out of it.

Pay him now or pay for not paying later.

It would be interesting if Wake Forest paid their next coach more than Pearl is going to make at Auburn. I would not pay a single candidate that kind of money without serious incentives. By that I mean a base of 1.5 with the potential to make 2+ based on performance and graduation rates. That simple. We don't need to throw good money after bad. Money is the carrot. Demand results.

Shaka would absolutely listen to the right offer (and I do have a source) but I highly doubt we are willing to make him the right offer. 2.5mill+

$2.5 million might sound like a lot of money now, but in just a few years it will be seen as bargain. There is so much new money flooding in to the power conferences, it will drive the salaries of all basketball coaches much higher.

$2.5 million might sound like a lot of money now, but in just a few years it will be seen as bargain. There is so much new money flooding in to the power conferences, it will drive the salaries of all basketball coaches much higher.

Pearl is getting 2.2 at Auburn. How deep are their pockets? Wake should not and can not pony up 2.5 with no incentives. I just don't see it.

You can structure the contract however you want. I'm just pointing out that we're luckily enough to be able to make a hire in front of the wave of salary inflation that is coming down pike.

Love ya, RJ, but this is Monopoly money you are playing with here. Until some donors step up with major, major coin, we plain cannot afford him. This isn't LOWF speak, either. This is LOWF donor speak. The Deacon Club does not bring in the funds to afford a guy like Shaka. For the record, I am all for a McCreary-type swooping in and saying, "F scoreboards, F Joel renovations, F scholarships - I want my $10m gift to go Shaka's 3-4 year contract." Rich folk can spend their money on whatever they want. But they'll need to spend to get Shaka. Leave the College out of it.

3000 extra tickets sold at $30 in revenues (tix/concessions/parking) times 18 home games= $1.62M more than we paid [Redacted] before we bank a penny in extra money from the new contract.

He'll easily pay for himself at $3M.

3000 extra tickets sold at $30 in revenues (tix/concessions/parking) times 18 home games= $1.62M more than we paid [Redacted] before we bank a penny in extra money from the new contract.

He'll easily pay for himself at $3M.

And he's worth it!

Understanding reality does not = LOWF

Thinking we can't attain the same levels of success as other ACC schools = LOWF.

If Pearl is getting $2.2mil, Howland is going to get in that same ballpark. How can folks here say we can't afford to pay Shaka $2.5mil but we can afford to pay Howland $2.2mil?

We were #1 in the NATION twice in the 00s. We were in the Top 5 in the nation multiple times in the 90s.

It is 100% LOWF to think like you do about basketball.

The math is pretty easy and has been mentioned on here numerous times: Grobe and staff - Clawson and staff + Bzz = Shaka. Add in the new tv and football playoff money and the money is simply not a valid excuse. There is absolutely no reason not to make him a legit offer. If he says no then oh well, but Wellman should be immediately fired if he does not even try.

well, Howland doesn't have a job right now and is looking for his "last new job" most likely. We need to lure Shaka away from a comfy situation...we need to pony up to get him!

If Pearl is getting $2.2mil, Howland is going to get in that same ballpark. How can folks here say we can't afford to pay Shaka $2.5mil but we can afford to pay Howland $2.2mil?

We're not getting Shaka for $2.5M. It's going to have to have be $3-3.5M and as I've shown we can absolutely afford it without putting the strong arm on donors.

Back