• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

I don't think there will be a meltdown. Shaka's floor is WAY higher than Miller's. Miller could be a good get. Who knows? Remember everyone on the board wanted Peter Lembo instead of Clawson? Look how that turned out. Shaka would win the press conference though, that's for sure.

Personally, I MUCH prefer Shaka and think they should do what it takes to get him here. However, it's obvious that there are a ton of obstacles to do that (his buyout, Texas is still playing, does Shaka want to come to Wake?, etc.). Miller would jump at the Wake job and probably cost substantially less money.

Maybe the NIT I guess.

Scoop, somebody on the Demon Deacon Sports Nation facebook group posted according to their Wake Forest "connections," our next coach is coming from UNC-G. Meltdown level is we end up with Wes Miller instead of Shaka by all those not name Donald Ross?

That's just silly and getting your hopes up when all the writing on the wall says it's next to impossible for Shaka to happen. He's currently under contract, he has a ridiculous buyout, he's still coaching... I'd love to have Shaka but this was a long shot at best. Maybe next March he'd be available.

How is Shaka still coaching an obstacle for him but not Wes miller? Uncg will still be playing too (ncaa or nit)

Doesn't this disqualify Wes Miller:

2dr7986.jpg

How is Shaka still coaching an obstacle for him but not Wes miller? Uncg will still be playing too (ncaa or nit)

If you're asking me, I'm not saying it isn't an obstacle. I'm simply responding to not getting Shaka warranting a meltdown.

He's disqualified from not having done enough to get the job.

If you're asking me, I'm not saying it isn't an obstacle. I'm simply responding to not getting Shaka warranting a meltdown.

Not getting shaka is not the meltdown. Its get miller rather than a name with a better resume.

wasn't saying either way. just saw on a few posts (including the ones wanting KU to win last night) that shaka wasn't feasible if Texas is still playing. if that's the case, then no good hire (other than Matta) is feasible at the moment.

Unless his contract specifically prohibits it, I don't think an NIT bid would delay Shaka from taking another coaching job, and either staying at Tejas thru the NIT or leaving and having an interim coach them.
Would be interesting to see how many of the 70 or so bowl teams each year are either coached by a guy who has already announced he's leaving after the game, or coached by an interim b/c the guy has already bailed (or been told to bail) ; similar situation.

wasn't saying either way. just saw on a few posts (including the ones wanting KU to win last night) that shaka wasn't feasible if Texas is still playing. if that's the case, then no good hire (other than Matta) is feasible at the moment.

That is why next week should be "Thad Matta week." Create an opening. Gauge Thad Matta's interest in coming to Wake. Get yes or no by this time next week.

If no, Start down the list of others as they become "available" because their team has lost in the tournament. Agents shouldn't be too busy to talk at this time of the year.

That's dumb. I would say that most coaches are hired while they are still coaching. It has to happen all the time.

LOL. Since Shaka got to UT-Austin he hasn't had a class ranked below #12 in the nation, and has 3 top 10 rated recruiting classes. Pitino also has had multiple top 10 recruiting class. Keatts is recruiting at a high level. But lets just throw statements out of our ass and see if they stick.

No doubt Shaka has a high floor and has recruited well.

I am not sure I could get excited about 2 consecutive coaches that recruited better talent than the results showed.

It seems that offense was Shaka's biggest problem at Texas. That would make sense if he had been scoring a lot of points off turnovers but then stopped playing a defense that generated turnovers.

I don't know how you get excited about paying a coach 4 million a year on the supposition that he learned from his past 4 years at Texas and will do better at Wake.

I think he would get us back to mediocre in the ACC which would be a major step up, but I think we should aim higher than mediocre in conference.

Unless his contract specifically prohibits it, I don't think an NIT bid would delay Shaka from taking another coaching job, and either staying at Tejas thru the NIT or leaving and having an interim coach them.
Would be interesting to see how many of the 70 or so bowl teams each year are either coached by a guy who has already announced he's leaving after the game, or coached by an interim b/c the guy has already bailed (or been told to bail) ; similar situation.

There are differences between the NCAA tournament and football bowl games (except for the BCS games).

There is a significant time gap (3-4 weeks) between the last regular season football game and most of the bowl games. The NCAA tournament starts next week, less than a week after most conferences conclude their conference championship tournaments.

The NCAA tournament determines the national champion for college basketball. Every team that receives a bid to the NCAA basketball tournament has some chance of winning the national title. Obviously, some team's chances are greater than others.

Only the teams invited to the BCS bowls have a chance of winning the national title in football. Everybody else has zero chance. Even those invited to all the other prestigious bowls. Except for a few, the bowl games have no bearing on the football national championship. They are exhibition games.

I don't have as much problem with a coach leaving his team in the hands of an interim coach for an exhibition game as I do a coach who would do the same with a shot (however small) at the national title on the line. And when the interim would have 3 or 4 weeks to get his team ready, not 4 or 5 days.

My sources say that Currie will chose between Miller or Shaka based entirely on this years NIT results. Whichever goes furthest gets to coach Wake.

Epic NIT showdown. Gives you all a rooting interest in the NIT. Finally post season basketball that is relevant to Wake!!!

There are differences between the NCAA tournament and football bowl games (except for the BCS games).

There is a significant time gap (3-4 weeks) between the last regular season football game and most of the bowl games. The NCAA tournament starts next week, less than a week after most conferences conclude their conference championship tournaments.

The NCAA tournament determines the national champion for college basketball. Every team that receives a bid to the NCAA basketball tournament has some chance of winning the national title. Obviously, some team's chances are greater than others.

Only the teams invited to the BCS bowls have a chance of winning the national title in football. Everybody else has zero chance. Even those invited to all the other prestigious bowls. Except for a few, the bowl games have no bearing on the football national championship. They are exhibition games.

I don't have as much problem with a coach leaving his team in the hands of an interim coach for an exhibition game as I do a coach who would do the same with a shot (however small) at the national title on the line. And when the interim would have 3 or 4 weeks to get his team ready, not 4 or 5 days.

Agree 100%, which is why I said he could bail or coach thru an NIT bid after accepting another position.

My sources say that Currie will chose between Miller or Shaka based entirely on this years NIT results. Whichever goes furthest gets to coach Wake.

Epic NIT showdown. Gives you all a rooting interest in the NIT. Finally post season basketball that is relevant to Wake!!!

That's no way to run a railroad. I'm skeptical of your sources.

Back