• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

I fully expect this to happen. All the scopes that I have gotten suggests otherwise, but damn man I don't know.

If this happens, just shut down the program. Use the money to fix the academic scandal.

If Manning is back there is no reason at all to follow basketball.

My sources say that Currie will chose between Miller or Shaka based entirely on this years NIT results. Whichever goes furthest gets to coach Wake.

Epic NIT showdown. Gives you all a rooting interest in the NIT. Finally post season basketball that is relevant to Wake!!!

Way to totally contradict your PM from earlier.

No doubt Shaka has a high floor and has recruited well.

I am not sure I could get excited about 2 consecutive coaches that recruited better talent than the results showed.

It seems that offense was Shaka's biggest problem at Texas. That would make sense if he had been scoring a lot of points off turnovers but then stopped playing a defense that generated turnovers.

I don't know how you get excited about paying a coach 4 million a year on the supposition that he learned from his past 4 years at Texas and will do better at Wake.

I think he would get us back to mediocre in the ACC which would be a major step up, but I think we should aim higher than mediocre in conference.

Wake wouldn't be paying him $4million a year. The deal with Texas would be he takes a lesser buyout over the next 4 years, say $8 million instead of the 12.6 or whatever he is owed. That way he is making $2 million a year from Texas and we pay an additional $1.5 million over 4 years. Now he makes $3.5 million/year over 4 years, which is what his contract is around now, but Texas gets a break on a discounted buyout and Wake Forest gets him at below market cost. Win-Win for both parties if Texas wants to move on and thinks they can land Beard.

Wake wouldn't be paying him $4million a year. The deal with Texas would be he takes a lesser buyout over the next 4 years, say $8 million instead of the 12.6 or whatever he is owed. That way he is making $2 million a year from Texas and we pay an additional $1.5 million over 4 years. Now he makes $3.5 million/year over 4 years, which is what his contract is around now, but Texas gets a break on a discounted buyout and Wake Forest gets him at below market cost. Win-Win for both parties if Texas wants to move on and thinks they can land Beard.

That makes sense and would be a pretty good deal if you could get it. I think that Smart is smart (as opposed to our current coach) and would make adjustments and learn from his time at Texas.

Still hoping for Oats but Shaka would be interesting.

That's no way to run a railroad. I'm skeptical of your sources.

This will be announced before the start of the NIT.

Currie wants to let the coaches win it on the court. He also knows that Wake fans are starved for meaningful games in March.

This kills two birds with one stone and allows Currie to start his tenure with exciting tournament basketball.

Win-win. DRoss brought up the idea to Currie and and he was all for it. I am pretty excited about the games, myself.

except for the 240k of income taxes owed in NC every year

This will be announced before the start of the NIT.

Currie wants to let the coaches win it on the court. He also knows that Wake fans are starved for meaningful games in March.

This kills two birds with one stone and allows Currie to start his tenure with exciting tournament basketball.

Win-win. DRoss brought up the idea to Currie and and he was all for it. I am pretty excited about the games, myself.

So in this scenario, suppose they both lose same round. What then? A game of horse?

Doesn't this disqualify Wes Miller:

HEEL YES IT DEFINITELY DISQUALIFIES HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We do not need a Goat walk-on midget as a coach. I don't care if his daddy gave money to build 10 practice gyms. I guarantee that after every win, he would begin his post game news conference by saying, IN ORDER, "I want to thank Coach Williams, the Good Lord, my parents, and my wife".

It is evident that some folks on this board have forgotten the scoreboard play, the call when Charlie Thomas hung on the rim, Dean's hypocritical attitude, the Wal-Mart fans, etc.. etc.

The Goats are the ENEMY.

Now, does anyone really want to know how I feel on this subject?

Back