• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka turns down UCLA

Well at least we can stop torturing ourselves with fantasies of how he'd be our coach if it weren't for Bz.

jeese. i had heard from multiple ucla peeps that this was a done deal in the works months ago.

1.3 million in Richmond with no pressure from a once apathetic fan base > Whatever UCLA was willing to pay with a fan base that has the expectations of the Wooden era.

Smart has 111 wins in four seasons at the school. ...LOL, and in contrast Buzz has how many in three seasons? He should be ashamed of himself!

He's signing an extension with VCU until 2023. Think Bz will still be around using the youth excuse around that time?

Last edited:
UCLA clearly has a culture problem that can only be solved by on Jeff [Redacted]

1.3 million in Richmond with no pressure from a once apathetic fan base > Whatever UCLA was willing to pay with a fan base that has the expectations of the Wooden era.

UCLA is still a top 5 job.

RJ, still think he'd come to Wake?

They didn't offer him enough money. From what I've heard they barely offered him more than he was making at VCU and they even fly Southwest to and from most games.

I'm surprised he didn't try to negotiate more.

What's amazing to me is UCLA is so cheap and USC was chomping at the bit to grossly overpay Jamie Dixon.

If we are willing to pay enough, he'd at least look at it. This sort of reinforces the info I have shared that he's not that interested in big schools.

Prepare for Gottfried to go to UCLA and then Enfield to NCSU where he will beat us like a drum for years to come.:tear:

They didn't offer him enough money. From what I've heard they barely offered him more than he was making at VCU and they even fly Southwest to and from most games.

I'm surprised he didn't try to negotiate more.

What's amazing to me is UCLA is so cheap and USC was chomping at the bit to grossly overpay Jamie Dixon.

If we are willing to pay enough, he'd at least look at it. This sort of reinforces the info I have shared that he's not that interested in big schools.

You live out there, so you can probably answer this. How does the California economy affect coaches pay moving forward? It is a state funded school. I get that the athletic department has donors and they could probably pay whatever the hell they want but what is the general thinking with taxpayers?

Prepare for Gottfried to go to UCLA and then Enfield to NCSU where he will beat us like a drum for years to come.:tear:

this is the most depressing thought of all time.

it makes sense though, Mr. and Mrs. Enfield probably just want to be closer to Mr. and Mrs. Say Hey.

Shaka is either holding out for Duke or UNC or he just wants to stay at VCU forever. He will never be the coach at WFU.

If you turn down UCLA you are either at VCU for life or you are going to the NBA.

Back