• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka turns down UCLA

One last time, for the truly impaired.

Shaka is going nowhere . At least for the next few years.

And as to your really imaginative lol, you're full of shit comment, look up the previous posts.

And, fuck you.

I know you were arguing with RJ, but it seems as if you are making your argument simply on attendance and whether the city cares about the team. There are so many more factors than that.

I think UNC might be a better gig than UCLA but it is definitely debateable. Duke I dont think is.
I don't think it's in any way debatable that UNC is a better job than UCLA.

Brad Stevens also reportedly turned down (or declined interest in) UCLA, per Twitter.

He already turned that down.

Now that he's joining a major conference, his moving will be even more costly and less likely.

Brad Stevens also reportedly turned down (or declined interest in) UCLA, per Twitter.

ESPN article regarding this states:

He was targeted by major-conference schools such as Oregon, Wake Forest and Clemson in 2010, but signed an extension with Butler through the 2021-22 season.

Did we really target him? I know the fans, including myself wanted it but did we ever officially offer or approach?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens...01/brad-stevens-staying-butler-ucla-overtures

Andy Katz just said facilities were a major reason in Shaka saying no.

Katz also said Gottfried has a $3.75M buyout. UCLA wasn't willing to pay that and pay him what he wanted.

Katz also said Gottfried has a $3.75M buyout. UCLA wasn't willing to pay that and pay him what he wanted.

Seems to me no one n the media or anyone else has any scoop or have any idea what's going on. No chance UCLA went after Gott before Shaka or Stevens, which is how it has looked in the media.

ESPN article regarding this states:

Did we really target him? I know the fans, including myself wanted it but did we ever officially offer or approach?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens...01/brad-stevens-staying-butler-ucla-overtures
Doubt we'll ever find out for sure, but I definitely remember reading on the old board that Ron had at least contacted Stevens (or his agent or representative) to gauge his interest. My guess is that that Ron sent out some sort of feeler to Stevens by way of an intermediary or third-party, and Stevens declined any interest in the Wake gig. IOW, I doubt the parties ever got far enough to the formal offer stage where years, numbers, dollars, etc. were being thrown around.

There is no way that Gott was a real consideration for UCLA, buyout or not.

Once they knew what the buyout was no one would want to sign him. State is stuck with him.

Our next coach better be better than Gottfried. His team should still be playing.

Not sure if I recall correctly, but we fired Dino and then like a day later Stevens' new extended contract was announced.

Do I know him? Nope.

The info came from someone who has known Shaka's agent for many, many years and knows Shaka. So far everything he has said has been true.

Minnesota is a terrible job. All they can offer him is money and likelihood of being on a hot seat for years.

UCLA really punked out on their offer. It would only be marginally higher than VCU (if at all) when taxes and cost of living are factored in. UCLA in living in the 1980s in who they and how they run their program.

Remember, I wasn't talking about "a few extra $100,000's". I bet if you check back I said something like $2.75M+ for 7/8 years last year and about $3-3.5M this year. That's a lot of millions to leave on the table for a short move to a place that would likely be his last move.

The A-10 is disintegrating. It wasn't last year. A year of VCU domination strengthens his position.

The biggest question at Wake is, "Will Wellman and Hatch join the 21st century ACC or live in the past?" If Fred Hoiberg is getting $20M/10 years as a base at Iowa State, a top level coach will want $30m or so at Wake.

Do they want to lose or win?

Did the daze from the sweet musk of The Skeen families collective nutsack give you your info?

Seems to me no one n the media or anyone else has any scoop or have any idea what's going on. No chance UCLA went after Gott before Shaka or Stevens, which is how it has looked in the media.

This and this. Pos-rep.

Back