• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka turns down UCLA

I know you were arguing with RJ, but it seems as if you are making your argument simply on attendance and whether the city cares about the team. There are so many more factors than that.

I think UNC might be a better gig than UCLA but it is definitely debateable. Duke I dont think is.

I'm not making the argument based on attendance. I'm making the argument based on Duke and UNC being better jobs than UCLA

I don't know what CISED is, but I am that way and I haven't lived in Richmond since Bill Clinton was getting BJ's in the White House.

Monday evening, the telephone rings:

Brad: Hello.
Shaka: Hey dude, this is Shaka.
Brad: Hey man, long time. How's it going?
Shaka: Good, good. Listen, I just got off the phone with the AD from UCLA. Offered me the job.
Brad: And?
Shaka: And, they're getting ready to call you next. Yeah, you know, I told them I didn't really need the extra pressure. Big fish and all. Besides, I'm probably going to get another raise out of this.
Brad: I hear ya, bro. You know, if you're ever looking for another job where you can make a shit ton of money without any expectations, you should check out Wake Forest. You've already taken more of their players to the Final Four than Buzz ever will.
Shaka: Yeah, I've thought about that job, but am afraid of the weird stalker guy RJ. Besides, Wellman's too much of a pussy to call me.
Brad: Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I'll see you in a few years in the ACC tourny finals. Go Blue Devils!
Shaka: Go Heels! So what are you going to tell UCLA?
Brad: I'm going to tell them "Thanks for the new practice facility at Butler"
Together: ha ha ha.

Last edited:
I have never talked about absolutes with Shaka. To allege such a thing is intentionally BS.

Minnesota offers Shaka less chance at success than VCU. I'm not the only person here who has shown UCLA doing things in a second class fashion and offering him less than market value for his contract.

Keep deluding yourself that I "made" things up.

If you are going to tell someone they have no idea what they are talking about and that they are an idiot for thinking it, and to go so far as to suggest you have inside information that shows you are right, then you better be talking in absolutes. Otherwise, it is just a difference of a opinion. And if it is just a difference of opinion, then you have no basis for telling people they are plainly wrong.

And, do we understand it is possible to move "up" not just from mid-major to major, but from major to better major (in that coach's mind)? Bill Self, Roy, a few million others come to mind..... If he is looking for the perfect job, and wanted to climb the ladder of success, he can do it in 2 steps rather than all at once...... Geez. The man loves coaching VCU. Deal with it!!

I never said he didn't. All I've ever said is that he preferred not to leave for a big school. I said preferred a smaller better academic school if he moved.

I also mentioned was the one big school I feared . As multiple posters have show, UCLA has a lot of problems they weren't willing to fix.

Shaka isn't going to be a Larry Brown. It's likely his next step will be his last one.

I never said he didn't. All I've ever said is that he preferred not to leave for a big school. I said preferred a smaller better academic school if he moved.

I also mentioned was the one big school I feared . As multiple posters have show, UCLA has a lot of problems they weren't willing to fix.

Shaka isn't going to be a Larry Brown. It's likely his next step will be his last one.

Did he tell you that? It might be that he doesn't want to move at all now. Perhaps something will change in the future, like maybe when his kids go away to college, but for now he appears very happy at VCU. Some people don't want to uproot their families, and that is more important to them than making few extra $100,000's. He's already turned down Illinois, NC State, Va. Tech, Minnesota and UCLA, and that is all that we know of. CNNSI indicated there have been many others who have contacted him non-publicly, and all have been turned down very quickly. He is now making $1.5m/yr? So with endorsements, gear contracts etc., he is probably close to $2M/yr? And he's locked in for 10 years? He's set for life financially. My personal belief is that he wants to win a championship in a program that he alone built and brought to that level. It won't mean as much winning a championship taking over at, say, Duke when K retires. It would mean everything building it yourself. I admit I have nothing to base that on other than conjecture.

I will agree with you that he will not be a Larry Brown. I think from the evidence we have thus far, that is obvious.

We all know that Shaka turned down UCLA because he is waiting on the WFU job once Buzz retires in 2020.

The numbers in this SB Nation article really just show that UCLA grads and the town of LA in general just don't care about watching UCLA basketball:

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2012/2/22/2818095/basketball-attendance-last-4-seasons

I mean even in 2008/2009 when they had Jrue Holiday and Darren Collison they only got over 10,000 people but 58% of the time. They were ranked in the top 20 the whole season and still couldn't put people in the seats. College Basketball just isn't a draw in LA like it use to be.

"town of LA"?

I don't think those words have ever been written before. Well, maybe in 1781 when it was founded.

Did he tell you that? It might be that he doesn't want to move at all now. Perhaps something will change in the future, like maybe when his kids go away to college, but for now he appears very happy at VCU. Some people don't want to uproot their families, and that is more important to them than making few extra $100,000's. He's already turned down Illinois, NC State, Va. Tech, Minnesota and UCLA, and that is all that we know of. CNNSI indicated there have been many others who have contacted him non-publicly, and all have been turned down very quickly. He is now making $1.5m/yr? So with endorsements, gear contracts etc., he is probably close to $2M/yr? And he's locked in for 10 years? He's set for life financially. My personal belief is that he wants to win a championship in a program that he alone built and brought to that level. It won't mean as much winning a championship taking over at, say, Duke when K retires. It would mean everything building it yourself. I admit I have nothing to base that on other than conjecture.

I will agree with you that he will not be a Larry Brown. I think from the evidence we have thus far, that is obvious.

Do I know him? Nope.

The info came from someone who has known Shaka's agent for many, many years and knows Shaka. So far everything he has said has been true.

Minnesota is a terrible job. All they can offer him is money and likelihood of being on a hot seat for years.

UCLA really punked out on their offer. It would only be marginally higher than VCU (if at all) when taxes and cost of living are factored in. UCLA in living in the 1980s in who they and how they run their program.

Remember, I wasn't talking about "a few extra $100,000's". I bet if you check back I said something like $2.75M+ for 7/8 years last year and about $3-3.5M this year. That's a lot of millions to leave on the table for a short move to a place that would likely be his last move.

The A-10 is disintegrating. It wasn't last year. A year of VCU domination strengthens his position.

The biggest question at Wake is, "Will Wellman and Hatch join the 21st century ACC or live in the past?" If Fred Hoiberg is getting $20M/10 years as a base at Iowa State, a top level coach will want $30m or so at Wake.

Do they want to lose or win?

Back