• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shelton Mitchell commits to Wake

Much of this was from well before my time, but I remember hearing rumors back in my day that a former very high up administrator had an affair and his mistress became his wife.

That is not rumor. That is fact.

Just confirming. Heard it when I got to Wake and haven't heard it since.

Heard that she was his travel agent.

Isn't that why they turned Starling Hall from the presidents quarters into the admissions center?

I'm the "old-timer," who posted that there have been rumors of sexual picadilloes for evey fired coach: Bones, Staak and Dino. I don't for a fact know where those rumors come from. I heard the one about Bones from fellow students. I heard the one about Staak from a co-worker; and I heard the one about Dino on these boards and from a column by Dan. Who's responsible? Who knows for sure? But it does seem strange that all three fired coaches during the past half century have these kinds of rumors circulated about them. These rumors make it appear that losing may be more acceptable in Wake hoops than making love. Does Wake have a sexual hang-up problem, a Trbble syndrome, if I may call it that?

By the way, if we fire Buzz, with whom is Wake going to try to link Buzz as having an illicit liason. So far the choices have been: Bones (secretary in the Department of Religion), Staak (cheerleader), Dino (an administrator, IIRC).

So this rumor mill is only about three coaches? I can't speak to Bones or Dino but the Staak rumors were well known prior to his exit, one can't reasonably claim they were started to justify letting him go. Regardless Staaks performance rumors or no spoke for itself. Jeez. Much ado about nothing.

So this rumor mill is only about three coaches? I can't speak to Bones or Dino but the Staak rumors were well known prior to his exit, one can't reasonably claim they were started to justify letting him go. Regardless Staaks performance rumors or no spoke for itself. Jeez. Much ado about nothing.

Um...the three coaches who have been fired.

Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
By the way, if we fire Buzz, with whom is Wake going to try to link Buzz as having an illicit liason. So far the choices have been: Bones (secretary in the Department of Religion), Staak (cheerleader), Dino (an administrator, IIRC).

With whom is Wake going to try to link Buzz as having an illicit liason???

That one is easy...All the supporters and fans who have been royally & literally screwed & abused the last three years...Just pass the Ky Jelly please.......

I'm the "old-timer," who posted that there have been rumors of sexual picadilloes for evey fired coach: Bones, Staak and Dino. I don't for a fact know where those rumors come from. I heard the one about Bones from fellow students. I heard the one about Staak from a co-worker; and I heard the one about Dino on these boards and from a column by Dan. Who's responsible? Who knows for sure? But it does seem strange that all three fired coaches during the past half century have these kinds of rumors circulated about them. These rumors make it appear that losing may be more acceptable in Wake hoops than making love. Does Wake have a sexual hang-up problem, a Trbble syndrome, if I may call it that?

Is this the source to which Irish is referring?

Substantive and fact based, indeed...

Last edited:
Is this the source to which Irish is referring?

Substantive and fact based, indeed...

Are you disputing the existence of these rumors? Or simply resorting to a variant of the "I know you are but what am I?" defense? So many questions, Mr. Angus, so many questions!

I like this! Apparently he is committed to Wake Forest - not Jeff [Redacted]. Good job Coach Battle!

From the article - Wake Forest currently sits 9-6 overall and 2-1 in the ACC in [Redacted]’s third season, but last year he was on one of the hottest seats in ACC coaching. Helms said he’d talked to Mitchell about the possibility of a coaching change. “Would that change anything?” Helms said. “Honestly, I don’t know if it changes it because he’s loved (Wake Forest) from the first day he went on campus.” Mitchell, who has been recruited primarily by 12th-year Wake Forest assistant coach Jeff Battle, said his commitment to the Deacons is strong, and once his mind is made up there’s no wavering.

The excerpt below about Chris Paul's involvement is also impressive. He did not push Shelton to attend Wake. Previous statements had made it sound like CP was recruiting for Buzz. That bothered me, because it's obvious that Buzz is not capable of mentoring/developing talent on or off the court. The article reveals that CP is supporting Shelton and only wants what's best for him. Once again, CP reveals the character (and culture) that RW and Buzz lack.

Also from the article - Mitchell talks to Paul occasionally, and his last conversation with the NBA star was just days after the commitment to Wake Forest.
“He was happy,” Mitchell said of Paul. “He said he felt it coming, but he wasn’t going to say anything to me. He said (Wake Forest) was a great place for me but for me to do what’s best for me. He didn’t want to be in my ear.” Paul affirmed that. “He isn’t making his decision because of me,” Paul said. “He comes from a great family. He has two wonderful parents who’ve always stayed on him and made sure he does everything the right way. He definitely has a chance to be special.”

Last edited:
The excerpt below about Chris Paul's involvement is also impressive. He did not push Shelton to attend Wake. Previous statements had made it sound like CP was recruiting for Buzz. That bothered me, because it's obvious that Buzz is not capable of mentoring/developing talent on or off the court. The article reveals that CP is supporting Shelton and only wants what's best for him. Once again, CP reveals the character (and culture) that RW and Buzz lack.

Haven't you learned not to believe the hype by now?

I also like this comment

“I see a lot of my game in him, except Shelton is way more athletic than I ever was,” Paul said in an email through a Los Angeles Clippers spokesman.

Agreed, WakeGal. Especially because Chris was and remains a really underrated athlete.

Cp3 recruiting shelton for us would be a pretty big NCAA violation.

Back