• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

Say your sister-in-law graduates college the same weekend as one of your best friends is getting married (and they've asked you to be in the wedding party)? Going to both, as a couple, is not an option.

What do you do?

Wedding, IMO. (Though I think graduations are over-rated.)

Say your sister-in-law graduates college the same weekend as one of your best friends is getting married (and they've asked you to be in the wedding party)? Going to both, as a couple, is not an option.

What do you do?

Your wife goes to the graduation and you go to the wedding.

Can you go to the wedding and go a graduation party at another time? Attending a graduation ceremony is rather pointless.

Wedding, IMO. (Though I think graduations are over-rated.)

Did your family (including siblings and/or brother/sister in-law) attend your commencement?

Did you feel slighted if not?

Would you say go to the wedding as a couple, or split time at each event, ie., you go stand in the wedding and your spouse attends the family graduation?

I was really close to buying myself an Amazon Prime membership last week but it just seems so expensive. Then I'd end up buying more things probably, just because "the shipping is free!" :squint:

Are you a student or do you have a valid .edu address? You can get free Prime under Amazon Student. They also have Amazon Mom.

I did free prime for a year in grad school, they they offered it to me for half price, which I'm doing this year. I agree that full price is a lot.

Another options is that I believe you can include up to up to like 5 (not totally sure on the number) of different email addresses/logins that can use one Prime account. I suppose it's meant for families to all use, but if you had a few friends that wanted to chip in for one account, it would be mich cheaper.

In addition to free two-day shipping (which is awesome and quick), if you have a Kindle you can download one e-book a month for free from the "Kindle Lending Library." Since e-books often run $5-$15, this is a pretty good deal. I think they also have some videos/streaming movies, which I've never tried.

I sound like a big-time Amazon cheerleader, but I really do love the site and convenience it offers.

No - the wedding is in Wilmington and the graduation is in California.

I feel silly asking this because of your screen name, but where do you live? for some reason I was thinking you were in Charleston in which case you could make a travel excuse for California.

Are you a student or do you have a valid .edu address? You can get free Prime under Amazon Student. They also have Amazon Mom.

I did free prime for a year in grad school, they they offered it to me for half price, which I'm doing this year. I agree that full price is a lot.

Another options is that I believe you can include up to up to like 5 (not totally sure on the number) of different email addresses/logins that can use one Prime account. I suppose it's meant for families to all use, but if you had a few friends that wanted to chip in for one account, it would be mich cheaper.

In addition to free two-day shipping (which is awesome and quick), if you have a Kindle you can download one e-book a month for free from the "Kindle Lending Library." Since e-books often run $5-$15, this is a pretty good deal. I think they also have some videos/streaming movies, which I've never tried.

I sound like a big-time Amazon cheerleader, but I really do love the site and convenience it offers.

I've got my alumni.wfu.edu account but I think a few people here said that didn't work. Could be worth thinking about, splitting the account with other people. I don't have a Kindle.

Oh well, with the amount I currently use Amazon, a full price prime membership probably still costs more than the shipping I spend.

I feel silly asking this because of your screen name, but where do you live? for some reason I was thinking you were in Charleston in which case you could make a travel excuse for California.

I live in Charleston, but I'm a California native - hence the SN....

Are you saying the California excuse would be used for or against going to the graduation?

What do you do?

My feeling is if your invite was just to attend the wedding, then you would attend the graduation. But since you've been asked to be part of the wedding party (an honor), I would not decline being a part of your friend's wedding to attend a graduation. You do the wedding, your wife attends graduation to represent your family unit.

My feeling is if your invite was just to attend the wedding, then you would attend the graduation. But since you've been asked to be part of the wedding party (an honor), I would not decline being a part of your friend's wedding to attend a graduation.

I was afraid this was the response I'd get. I guess I'll get off my wife's case for being in the wedding and I'll fly to California to see my sister.

I live in Charleston, but I'm a California native - hence the SN....

Are you saying the California excuse would be used for or against going to the graduation?

Gotcha.

I'm saying that in addition to having the "more important" event of being part of your good friend's wedding, you can use the travel distance as an excuse not to attend the graduation.

Or it might come down to you going to the wedding and your wife going to her sister's graduation.

Gotcha.

I'm saying that in addition to having the "more important" event of being part of your good friend's wedding, you can use the travel distance as an excuse not to attend the graduation.

Or it might come down to you going to the wedding and your wife going to her sister's graduation.

I think that's what will happen, but it's the opposite for us - my sister's graduation, my wife's friends wedding.

I was afraid this was the response I'd get. I guess I'll get off my wife's case for being in the wedding and I'll fly to California to see my sister.

ohhh I had it backwards.

yeah I don't think you can blame her for choosing to be in a best friend's wedding over traveling a long way to sit through a graduation.

Did your family (including siblings and/or brother/sister in-law) attend your commencement?

Did you feel slighted if not?

Would you say go to the wedding as a couple, or split time at each event, ie., you go stand in the wedding and your spouse attends the family graduation?

My situation was a little different because I did the five year MSA program and couldn't walk with my friends. My parents and brothers came down for the graduation that I didn't walk in because that was when everyone else's family was there and we had graduation parties and whatnot. I was not planning to walk for my graduation, but then my closest friends from Wake made travel plans to be there, so I walked. (My brothers didn't attend that one. I wouldn't have cared if they didn't attend either, but my parents cared.)

If it is a big deal for your sister, then you should try to be there. But don't ask your wife to skip a wedding where she is close enough to the bride to be in the wedding party.

FWIW, It totally never occurred to me that HuskyDeac (my BIL) might attend my graduation (and I don't think he will and I won't be upset - he's got bizness to attend to this spring). And my brother and his wife won't be there either. And I don't know if my in-laws will come at all. Basically I am only counting on Matt, my mom, my dad and maybe my grandmother. And this graduation is a pretty big deal to me but people have lives.

I also will likely attend my brother's high school graduation without Matt this year since we'll be so busy with the move, etc.

Amazon prime is awesome. I don't feel like I buy more stuff I just buy more stuff there because of the free shipping. I have Amazon Mom (though I heard they are no longer doing those memberships for right now) and I did have Amazon student for a year before that, but I plan on paying for my membership when Mom expires because it is totally worth it for me. I have saved the $80 several times over.

Was that poorly worded by the source, or was she taking birth control during her pregnancy?

It was poorly worded but she may have been taking it without knowing she was pregnant and then she had a miscarriage?

Also, I have to say that wedding trumps graduation. Graduation really wasn't that big of a deal to me.

It was poorly worded but she may have been taking it without knowing she was pregnant and then she had a miscarriage?

Also, I have to say that wedding trumps graduation. Graduation really wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Per the Mayo Clinic:

What happens if you take birth control pills while you're pregnant?
If you continued taking your birth control pill because you didn't realize you were pregnant, don't be alarmed. Despite years of this accident happening, there's very little evidence that exposure to the hormones in birth control pills causes birth defects. Once you learn that you're pregnant, stop taking the birth control pill.

I didn't mean that it actually caused a miscarriage, just that she may have related the two. Or maybe she related taking birth control pills EVER to having that first miscarriage. Who knows what goes on in their heads.

I didn't mean that it actually caused a miscarriage, just that she may have related the two. Or maybe she related taking birth control pills EVER to having that first miscarriage. Who knows what goes on in their heads.

Ahhhh gotcha.

We took the baby to meet Santa today. It was awesome. Great Santa with a real beard who had a sleigh for the kids to sit in with him. We got lots of pictures and one with a great big smile. Tomorrow we're going to "wild lights" at the STL zoo. I LOVE this time of year and it's awesome to be sharing it with our kiddo.

Back