• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

Chic, I started that blanket this evening. It's a really quick knit and quite simple.

Yeah that's why I have made a few of those. I finished 2.0s blanket a while back and love how it came out (the pine forest blanket) if you're ever looking for something lacier.
yzynahe3.jpg
pyquzu3a.jpg

That's actually one of the ones I was debating about. Good to know. It's obvious that we have hit the baby boom with friends so I'm often looking for new fun patterns.

I love this article about the ice skating brother and sister pair (the Shib Sibs). I just wanted to share.

Despite no medal, Shibutani siblings 'win' by making most of Olympic experience

They obviously skated well at the trials and made it here. And they came into these Olympics with a plan to enjoy all of it, to embrace all of it, experience all of it. That began in Munich where they got their Olympic gear, an experience they described as one of the coolest things ever. Then they started introducing themselves to every athlete they could, and found they were all SO NICE, experiences they described as some of the coolest things ever.

They tried to meet everyone. Alex, a huge hockey and Bruins fan, was particularly mesmerized that the hockey players would talk to him. Maia, not a huge sports fan, just found Bruins and Finnish goalie Tukka Rask to be so nice. “Every time we see him, he asks ‘How are you doing? How are you enjoying the Olympics?’” Alex merely nods, still a bit spellbound by it all.

That, obviously, was one of the coolest things ever.

Absolutely

completely yes. i went in the other day to buy garbage bags and a salad to eat for lunch. came out with garbage bags, a salad, some grapes, some yogurt, (and here's where it gets real funky), a super cute teal and gold makeup mirror for my bathroom, some floral patterned straws (because obvi i will be throwing a spring themed party where i NEED floral patterned straws for mason jars.. duh), some lip balm (because it was in a cute green egg and only $2! and maybe i need some to keep at the office!), and last but not least... a bathing suit cover up. because that story is completely true.

I have never had the target issue. I must be an odd occurrence. I've never gone in there and come out with more than I originally came in for. I just don't get the obsession with it.

WakeGal, you must be a very disciplined shopper. Do you always make a list? Ever wander through aisles you know you don't actually need? it seems like you're always pretty busy so maybe you don't allot enough time to just look around.

WakeGal, you must be a very disciplined shopper. Do you always make a list? Ever wander through aisles you know you don't actually need? it seems like you're always pretty busy so maybe you don't allot enough time to just look around.

List - yes and no. Sometimes I don't have a list but have one in my head. I rarely wander the aisles. I'm more of a get in and get out. That's why I don't go grocery shopping with MtnDeac. He loves roaming the aisles looking for interesting food items. I'm more of the make a list in order by location of the store, get in, and get out sort of person. I will often just stay in the car while he grocery shops because the browsing gives me anxiety.

I'm not a shopper, except for in furniture stores and home goods. But even then I don't buy something unless I need it. Clothing shopping gives me MAJOR anxiety.

There is one store that I am often known to buy thing on a whim and that is Staples (believe it or not). I could go to staples and easily come out with things I don't need and didn't come in for.

Oh, I'm also known to go online and purchase everything and then set it to pick up in the store so that I can save a few minutes.

if browsing isn't your thing, then I can definitely see how you don't end up buying too much at Target! I definitely enjoy wandering the store there and at the grocery.

Though - Target does have plenty of office supplies! Maybe not as much as Staples but probably cuter stuff. :)

One of my problems with Target & grocery shopping is that I make lists at home, and then go to the store on the way home/while I am out... so I don't have the list with me.

if browsing isn't your thing, then I can definitely see how you don't end up buying too much at Target! I definitely enjoy wandering the store there and at the grocery.

Though - Target does have plenty of office supplies! Maybe not as much as Staples but probably cuter stuff. :)

One of my problems with Target & grocery shopping is that I make lists at home, and then go to the store on the way home/while I am out... so I don't have the list with me.

That's the funny thing about my Staples fetish, I don't go for the cute things. Although, the Martha Stewart line that they now carry is quite cute.

I'll go for a pack of 12 all white one inch notebooks. Or a pack of bright paper. Or this weekend it was, "oh let's get the new quickbooks because mine isn't going to be supported anymore in three months." They aren't cute nor sexy purchases. I've always had this office supply fetish, even when I was little.

I'm not a huge browser, even when I NEED something - I can go somewhere specifically for an item and by the time I'm there looking at it, I've talked myself out of it.

Target, though... Target. Maybe because nothing is ever more than $5-10, it's easy to end up with a cart of 10 items that is magically $50-100. It just happens. I do limit myself to once a month, though, and there does need to be an actual reason for going. What happens after that, though...

Listen to this situation.

So I've been "friends" with this guy for like 10 years. He used to work with one of my best friends, and has been in my larger friend group (and pretty good friends with her) for a long time. I've never really cared much for him, but whatever. His most annoying tendency, especially back in the day, was that he was the biggest mooch - never chipping in for a cab, drinking pitchers people bought but never buying one, overtly guilting people into buying him a lot of drinks on his birthday, etc.

About 5 years ago he starts dating this girl, who is quiet, but pretty nice. We're all decent friends with her. Then he cheats on her, doesn't treat her great, calls her a "butterbody" (opposite of butterface) to my friend, etc. Just super douche (and believe me, he's not much of a catch). Eventually they break up, and we remain friendly with both of them. Eventually they ended up getting back together (also of note that she lost about 50 lbs in this time apart), and are now engaged to be married. I obviously have issues with this, but that's not what this story is about.

They both have lived in DC, but she recently moved back to Kansas and he is moving back soon. So she's having a DC "shower/tea" next weekend, and he's having a going away party that night. We received the invitation to the shower, and it specifically said not to bring gifts. Ok, we figure she's flying here and back and doesn't want a lot of stuff, cool. We'll just go and celebrate her.

Today he sent an email to one of our friends:

"Emily - thanks for RSVPing to Jaclyn's bridal shower "tea" next weekend. Just wanted to let you know that despite the fact that she asked for "no presents" I know she secretly would love to receive small gifts (we have not finished our registry yet) so just bear this in mind but feel free to bring anything - even just a card"

Come to find out last week he went for drinks with some other friends and floated this same idea to them and they specifically shot it down saying no gifts means no gifts. If she wanted or expected them, she should have left that line off the invitation. And he STILL sent this email out. Everyone is so pissed off. WTF is wrong with people?

This was also the guy that for our wedding (they were broken up at the time but both were invited separately), was sent a solo invitation (he was going to know a ton of people there and wasn't dating anyone), and he said back a reply for "Kyle +1." Not only did he add on a guest who was not invited, but he didn't even know who he was going to bring! He just assumed he would find someone random and invite them.

I don't think he has one tactful bone in his body.

tl;dr - my "friend" is an uncouth, ungrateful person who went behind his fiance's back to request people bring gifts to her bridal shower when "no gifts" was specifically noted on the invitaion

Yep, he sucks. Booo people. (continued thought from the fb group)

He's probably just going to keep going until someone says something, and even then he probably won't stop... but you should (someone should) just respond back to only him with basically exactly what the guys all said. "no means no." Do you think the girl actually DOES want something, or do you think that's just him trying to sneak in some more stuff?

Um, maybe she is having regrets from saying no gifts? I don't really know. And honestly, I was thinking of at least getting her a card, if not a small gift...but now I don't think I will.

Needless to say I am not so upset that they will no longer live near me.

And also there is no way we are flying to Kansas for their wedding (to be fair that decision was made long ago).

Yeahh... that's a no-brainer. Probably a cash bar, anyway.

Back