• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

i think my family would come regardless. for some, it may actually be a financial burden. for most it wouldn't. but most of dhtoy's family wouldn't come. i mean, the immediate family would, and some of the first cousins. but he has 14 first cousins, and no joke, over 200 second cousins (his grandmother was 1 of 20 kids). they all grew up on the same road in mooresville. they're all very, very good friends. and essentially NONE of the second cousins, and some of the first cousins, wouldn't come if it were out of town. i asked his mom what she wanted, and she said "do what you want. the important people will be there." but i can't get past the fact that none of his cousins would come from out of town. it's FAMILY. i can make difficult cuts when it comes to friends. but family? i can't do that :(

I love this, and I think your future mother in law has a great perspective. I know it's incredibly difficult, but it sounds like a lot of family to please!

is jake gyllenhaal normal?

basically i need to know if it's OK to find him incredibly attractive or if there's some kind of crazy lurking in the closet that i should be aware of.

I think he's attractive. Am I not supposed to?

Random unrelated thing I'm adding to this post: dropped my shoes off to be fixed during lunch. The place had a sign on the desk that said "shirt and shoes are required; bra and panties are not." KLASSY!

i think my family would come regardless. for some, it may actually be a financial burden. for most it wouldn't. but most of dhtoy's family wouldn't come. i mean, the immediate family would, and some of the first cousins. but he has 14 first cousins, and no joke, over 200 second cousins (his grandmother was 1 of 20 kids). they all grew up on the same road in mooresville. they're all very, very good friends. and essentially NONE of the second cousins, and some of the first cousins, wouldn't come if it were out of town. i asked his mom what she wanted, and she said "do what you want. the important people will be there." but i can't get past the fact that none of his cousins would come from out of town. it's FAMILY. i can make difficult cuts when it comes to friends. but family? i can't do that :(

Your mother in law is right. And remember, if you invite them, you are not the one making the cuts.

Have it in the mountains if that's what you want. I would guess that a lot of his cousins have small children and weekend weddings require an inordinate amount of planning if they're not in town, not to mention the much greater expense, especially if they have to get more than one hotel room due to older kids. If you have it in town they're all just going to come and drink beer because they have nothing better to do. At least if you have it in the mountains you'll know they want to be there.

They sounds like a big pack of fat redneck losers (except for your fiance of course).

I wouldn't make the cousins a huge concern in terms of where you plan the wedding unless your husband-to-be would rather have them all be there as opposed to getting married in the mountains.

I think he's attractive. Am I not supposed to?

Random unrelated thing I'm adding to this post: dropped my shoes off to be fixed during lunch. The place had a sign on the desk that said "shirt and shoes are required; bra and panties are not." KLASSY!

hahahah i love that. also um yes, jake gyllenhaal is delicious. love him!

Two of my cousins had out-of-town weddings - one beach, one mountains. Their parents/in-laws rented larger houses for the weekends to accommodate any family members that wanted to come to the wedding. I didn't make it to either wedding, but my parents said it was really nice to have the extended family together all weekend, and not have to deal with coordinating hotels.

Agree with those saying to have the wedding where you want it. We had our wedding a 2 hour drive up the coast north of Portland, ME. Yeah, it was a pain in the ass for some people, but that's what you do when someone you love is getting married. If someone doesn't show, it says more about them than it does about you.

Wedding attire question... I'm going to a 6pm wedding tomorrow. Though the dress is formal, bride has said that knee length dresses are fine. I will be wearing around knee length and have other friends who are doing the same, so I won't be the only woman not wearing a long dress.

But tomorrow morning I'm running a long race and expect my feet will be pretty sore and tired. If I was wearing a long dress, nobody would know if I was wearing flat shoes, but obviously everyone will see them in a short dress. I always feel that flats look kind of dumpy with a dress, but I really might not be able to function in heels. I'm already feeling a little under-dressed in the short dress, so do you think it would be dreadful to show up in flats too?

Show up in flats. If anyone says anything, then say "I ran x race, which was y miles, this morning". Once you say that, they won't care and will actually probably be interested in the race.

i can't remember the last wedding i attended where anybody other than the bride/bridal party was in long dresses (well, maybe mother of the bride too). even the "formal" weddings i've been to lately have had most girls in short dresses. i wouldn't feel underdressed at all in a short dress.

and as long as the flats are cute, i think that'd be fine too! it's january, so i'm guessing you're not talking about strappy sandals. nice flats definitely don't have to look frumpy/dumpy.

can you wear heels to the ceremony and then change into flats for the reception? most people lose their heels to dance anyway if there's drinking involved.

can you wear heels to the ceremony and then change into flats for the reception? most people lose their heels to dance anyway if there's drinking involved.

This is definitely a good option (I pretty much always bring flip flops or flats to a wedding these days and switch shortly into the reception...I have become a heel wuss). That said, I think flats are perfectly acceptable to wear with a dress. Lots of cute options out there these days, and no need to feel underdressed.

it is possible I'll be able to wear heels for at least part of the time. It depends on if I get blisters at the race. Usually it's my toenails that end up hurting the worst.

I'll need to inventory my assorted flats, but they'd be ballet flats. Definitely not Tom's, though I find their ballet flats to be less ugly than the rest of their shoes. I might look for some sequined ones or something, a coworker was wearing some cute sparkly ones today from Neiman Marcus for Target.

I'd also recommend Payless, as odd as that sounds. I got some really cute sparkly flats there a couple weeks ago that I have worn a lot. They had them in black, silver, and gold glitter (and the glitter doesn't come off everywhere which I think is a miracle).

I got the black, but the others were cute. And they're like $17.

088657_4_490x490.jpg

it is possible I'll be able to wear heels for at least part of the time. It depends on if I get blisters at the race. Usually it's my toenails that end up hurting the worst.

I'll need to inventory my assorted flats, but they'd be ballet flats. Definitely not Tom's, though I find their ballet flats to be less ugly than the rest of their shoes. I might look for some sequined ones or something, a coworker was wearing some cute sparkly ones today from Neiman Marcus for Target.

i read this first as "either neiman marcus or target" and i sat there for a few solid seconds going "wow, really couldn't have more opposite ends of the spectrum..."

thanks for the idea, LadyDeac. I'm not sure where the closest Payless is, and I have to go to Target anyway, so I'll check there first but will keep Payless in mind. Haven't been there since probably high school.

haha, DeacHoops. definitely different.

Yeah, I hadn't shopped at Payless in forever, but stopped in on a whim when I walked by one out doing errands the other day. Big mistake since I walked out with 1 pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of casual sneakers, and 1 pair of boots! Oops! At least it was cheaper than buying three pairs somewhere else.

Back