• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#SheWomanManHatersClub

IUD's are often recommended by doctors for women who have already had children because the insertion can be very painful in some who have not had children, and the risk of expulsion (the IUD being forced out of the uterus) is higher - largely because the uterus has never been stretched. It's not anything to do with fertility.

Study from 2007 ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010782407000789 ):

IUD's are cheap and extraordinarily effective. There were some terrible ones 30 years ago and poor insertion practices that led to them basically being blackballed in the USA by horrific word of mouth, but that no longer applies.

I thought it was a myth, from everything I had learned as of late. My sister is in graduate school in the medical field and the internship she just completed was a birth control study. She worked under an Ob/Gyn who was doing a study to see how informed the patients were and their consistency in using their birth control effectively. She had to learn the ins and outs of BC. She actually showed me the documentation from the doctor (we were having an intense debate) saying that IUDs could still cause some infertility due to scaring; however, it is not as common as what it was.

Not trying to pick on WakeGal here - but this is how myths continue on and on. I linked a recent peer reviewed study that specifically states IUD's cause no issues with fertility. WakeGal comments that she saw something somewhere that a sister showed her.

The problem is that the word of mouth will never go away until people listen to the science that's readily available to them.

I'd love to know what study that was - because I can't find a single peer reviewed one done in the last decade that says that.

There is some science that indicates that IUD users who contract an STI are at higher risk for PID, which can cause infertility. But that is it, and going without a condom with anyone you aren't in a committed / tested relationship is just stupid for all sorts of reasons - no matter the birth control you are using.

It is not done. I think it has another 3-5 years before complete but she is finished with her part. The documentation she showed me was some fact sheet from, I think, UNC-Chapel Hill's med school.

Not trying to pick on WakeGal here - but this is how myths continue on and on. I linked a recent peer reviewed study that specifically states IUD's cause no issues with fertility. WakeGal comments that she saw something somewhere that a sister showed her.

The problem is that the word of mouth will never go away until people listen to the science that's readily available to them.

You're not attacking me, instead my sister, which royally pisses me off! You have no idea what my sister is nor what she is doing or the study.

Again though, we're not talking a peer reviewed medical study.

Nobody is attacking your sister, or her work. Like most scientific work, until it's published in a peer reviewed journal - it's not done, or even necessarily factual. That's how the process works.

The fact remains that there is not a single peer reviewed study in the past decade that shows IUD's cause fertility issues. The New England Journal of Medicine released the landmark study on this in 2001 ( http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...=PUBDATE_SORTDATE+desc+Score+desc&maxtoshow=& ) and since then every study has backed that up.

things are good. We are loving life as a family of 3. It's amazing how little sleep you can survive on when you're really really happy. I do feel totally out of touch (not a lot of time for the boards, email, fb, blogs) and I am not adept enough with nursing yet to be able to do it while I am on the computer so I feel like I am not keeping up with my friends, but we're taking lots of pictures (which someday we'll get uploaded) and just learning what "new normal" feels like.

chic- your hometown sucks. the traffic is gonna completely fuck with my afternoon as i drive west

things are good. We are loving life as a family of 3. It's amazing how little sleep you can survive on when you're really really happy. I do feel totally out of touch (not a lot of time for the boards, email, fb, blogs) and I am not adept enough with nursing yet to be able to do it while I am on the computer so I feel like I am not keeping up with my friends, but we're taking lots of pictures (which someday we'll get uploaded) and just learning what "new normal" feels like.

ain't it the truth? glad things are going so well!

So this new show is premiering after Real Housewives and it's the family of a girl I went to high school with. WTF?

I've never had a kid and I got an IUD ... I won't lie and say it was a pleasant experience to go through, but it makes my life 150X easier.

I had a long conversation with both my doctor and a friend who specializes in maternal health issues before choosing the IUD. It made the most sense for me, but I know that it's not something that many doctors encourage (or offer) - particularly older ones.

If you have any personal questions about it, feel free to PM me. I don't mind answering them - just don't want to make others squeamish.

awar, have you considered the NuvaRing? It requires maintenance less often than the pill, with less invasion than an IUD. I think it also uses a really low dose of hormones.

awar, have you considered the NuvaRing? It requires maintenance less often than the pill, with less invasion than an IUD. I think it also uses a really low dose of hormones.

I will chime in and say that there is one issue with the Nuvaring in that it can get, uh...pulled out without noticing. Had that happen a couple of times before. It's like an adult game of horseshoes.

I will chime in and say that there is one issue with the Nuvaring in that it can get, uh...pulled out without noticing. Had that happen a couple of times before. It's like an adult game of horseshoes.

:golfclap:

Nuvaring is also notoriously bad in terms of decreasing sex drive. I know everyone reacts differently but everyone I know who has been on it has had that side effect.

Nuvaring is also notoriously bad in terms of decreasing sex drive. I know everyone reacts differently but everyone I know who has been on it has had that side effect.

...anyone on anything they like that doesn't have this side effect? PMs welcome.

lbe08 - IUD is the way to go. No crazy side effects, limits or virtually eliminates your monthly "visitor" and you don't have to worry about it once it's inserted.

Back