• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shot Clock Time keeper

Seriously, LK. It was painful. Would not wish that experience on anyone. It was a truly telling experience & left me wondering how that type of attitude forms in someone. Fortunately, I have learned from my experience & know how to avoid this from happening again.

Yes I remember meeting you and your wife. Enjoyed our chat. As a taxpayer I appreciate all you do with the school system. You and your wife seem like really nice people and I hope to see you at next year's event. Maybe it won't be so hot . Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Whomever was the timekeepr yesterday was inept and screwing the Deacs with his incompetence at the end of the game.

Whomever was the timekeepr yesterday was inept and screwing the Deacs with his incompetence at the end of the game.

one of the few occasions were i literally did laugh out loud. posrep to follow.

keeper was most gracious to me when I met him....
Carry on....

I'm not sure I understand what happened. If the clock was starting too early, that would favor Richmond, not Wake. Right?

So was the problem that the clock wasn't starting?

The problem was that the game clock kept starting incorrectly early as the ball wasn't inbounds. Clock does not start on a throw in until it is touched inbounds. Richmond kept throwing the ball to another guy out of bounds after a made bucket, which is legal. Clock operator can't see through all the players and probably thought the ball was thrown inbounds and started the clock.

When a clock is started too early or too late, that will be a correctable timing issue. Trouble is for Richmond, after they do get it inbounded in a press situation, they then have to wait, let Wake regroup or change things up and have to get it inbounds again. When it happens a 3rd time, a coach is going to be rightly upset.

Clock operator shoud be watching for the official to "chop in" the time and then start the clock...guess he did not.

As a kid I played church league and y- type leagues in elementary school before you were old enough for school teams...anyway, one day my dad was plucked out of the crowd to man the scoreboard or whatever they had back then. He was old school and not really into operating buttons and buzzers and such. Resisted, but they needed a body and he was it. At one point well into the game the ref hands me the ball to throw in bounds, and clueless to my relation to the scoreboard operator, he says "man this scoreboard guy sucks huh? We should send him to get a biscuit or something." I promptly tossed the ball right into his nads as hard as I could.

Well, I really didn't bash his nads, but I wish I had.

There is nothing worse for players, coaches or officials at a basketball game when there are major porblems with the clock or shot clock. However smoothly a game may be running up to that point just makes it come crashing down.

The shot clock is very hard to do correctly as it takes a lot of concentration by the operator on when to start it and especially when to reset it or not reset it.

Late game possessions with shot clock running out and whether the ball hits the rim or not are key to any close game. If it doesn't but operator thinks it does & resets it makes for a cluster at the table. Not all games have good replays to even show if it does or not. Plus when a game has to go to replay for that, it just drags the game even slower.

But our clock faux pas at the end of the Richmond game really hurt the team throwing the ball in. Press is set up, they get the ball inbounds and the game has to be stopped to reset the game clock. That means the team on offense has to inbounds the ball again.

Back