• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Dan evaluate his own performance?

JOJESMA

Reaction score
I agree 100% with Dan Collins' recent comments that Bz is not the right man for Wake and I appreciate the coverage Dan has provided Wake throughout the years.

However, should Dan take a look at his own performance and commitment?

I offer the following examples:

1. The quantity and quality of Dan's coverage may have fallen behind the coverage that John Dell gives to Winston-Salem State. If you have access to past articles, go back and make your own judgments.

2. Has Dan become complacent in preparing his articles?

For example, in his article prior to the Maryland game he stated that Wake's 13 straight home victory streak was snapped on Feb. 1 by Georgia Tech. In fact, the streak was snapped on Jan. 29 by Syracuse.

3. Finally, did Dan show a lack dedication to his job for the lack of coverage and concern for the Vandy football game?

Yes, I agree the game was probably meaningless to everyone except the players, coaches, and die-hard fans. However, the Journal and Dan made no effort to send our "beat-writer" to Nashviile. Also, Dan even stated that when the game started, he was raking leaves and only went inside to the TV when he was told the Deacs were playing a decent game. You would think, that Dan would have more respect for Coach Grobe and the players than to admit that he had no interest in even watching them on TV, much less traveling 6-7 hours to cover them in person.

I appreciate Dan's efforts to the objective of riding us of Bz and I am only suggesting that for him an introspective look may also not be a bad thing.

Frankly, until Wake Forest decides to field athletic programs dedicated to winning and not some personal, selfish concept like culture and "doing things the right way", I'm not inclined to give a shit about media coverage. In fact, I've been of the mind that in the current environment, less coverage is better coverage.

Dan's not great, but it's also a crappy beat. You can't expect much.

If we ever field teams worth covering, we may actually garner a couple beat writers from better newspapers. But until then...

He is evaluated in terms of circulation and clicks and eyeballs.

Dan's fine. Leave the dude alone and go complain about something worthwhile. Jesus.

He's providing the same amount and quality of coverage he's given us for over a decade now.

I'd trade Dan for John Dell ten times over.

How many ways can you write about the product we put out on the court?

If only we had a better beat writer to really tease out the depth of our suck.

Dan's a good dude. Imagine if your job required you to watch and write about WFU basketball, day in and day out. Personally, I'd be writing one sentence about the latest disaster, and then taking a hard right into long discussions of paint drying, ditch digging and other things more interesting than WFU hoops. The fact he stays on topic, even if he's fatigued by the never-ending lunacy, is impressive. I'm amazed he hasn't abandoned the sports-related questions altogether and starting asking Buzz about ducks/horse fights, American Beauty vs Workingman's Dead, Pine Barrens and whatnot.

Dan's fine. Leave the dude alone and go complain about something worthwhile. Jesus.

Seriously. Dude just had to drive up to Maryland to watch that shit show and still posted a MTOW 10 hours ago. I live 30 minutes from Comcast Center and consider myself a pretty huge Wake fan and I didn't even entertain going.

Dan's rolling though year 4 of being a lone beat reporter for an irrelevant college team without a postseason appearance, an asshole coach who avoids him, players told not to say anything about the debacle that is Wake, and a fan base that calls him fat and rebukes him routinely for not calling for [Redacted]'s firing - despite that not being his job.

I'm surprised they haven't re-tasked him and let unpaid interns handle the Wake writeups at this point.

Dan's a good dude. Imagine if your job required you to watch and write about WFU basketball, day in and day out. Personally, I'd be writing one sentence about the latest disaster, and then taking a hard right into long discussions of paint drying, ditch digging and other things more interesting than WFU hoops. The fact he stays on topic, even if he's fatigued by the never-ending lunacy, is impressive. I'm amazed he hasn't abandoned the sports-related questions altogether and starting asking Buzz about ducks/horse fights, American Beauty vs Workingman's Dead, Pine Barrens and whatnot.

It's always funny when people post stuff like this about Dan. With the exception of going to practices and conducting interviews, his job is our hobby. Watch Wake sports and write about it.

Plenty of folks here write plenty of good stuff that if it were packaged as an opinion column would be of better quality than what Dan does.

It's just weird for people who come here and post about Wake sports day in and day out to give Dan a pass because of a "crappy beat." We all watch and write about that crappy beat.

Last edited:
Seriously. Dude just had to drive up to Maryland to watch that shit show and still posted a MTOW 10 hours ago. I live 30 minutes from Comcast Center and consider myself a pretty huge Wake fan and I didn't even entertain going.

Dan's rolling though year 4 of being a lone beat reporter for an irrelevant college team without a postseason appearance, an asshole coach who avoids him, players told not to say anything about the debacle that is Wake, and a fan base that calls him fat and rebukes him routinely for not calling for [Redacted]'s firing - despite that not being his job.

I'm surprised they haven't re-tasked him and let unpaid interns handle the Wake writeups at this point.

This. If there was no My Take On Wake article following the next inevitable blow out loss, would that many people even notice?

ph drinks dans milkshake... the poor guy has to watch Wake and this is how he is treated?

ph drinks dans milkshake... the poor guy has to watch Wake and this is how he is treated?

He doesn't have to watch Wake. He could rake leaves. He gets paid to watch what we diehards willingly subject ourselves to watch.

Back