• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Dan evaluate his own performance?

This place has officially run out of things to bitch about. Maybe we should ask for Lennox to come back.

At this particular point in time, I honestly look forward to each MTOW column. I sincerely am excited to see what Dan's going to write next. It's like anticipating the next episode of my favorite TV show.

Regardless of how the Wake teams are or are not, it's Dan's job to do a good job covering them. But when he openly goes into a presser with [Redacted] or a player and is nothing but negative, that's not doing his job the right way. He gets paid to do a job that most of us, myself included, would give anything to do - and he looks and acts like he couldn't care less. His attitude and the way he dresses/carries himself speak volumes for his blatant lack of interest.

How should beat writers dress?

And "the right way?" Good lord, not that shit again.

that post is even funnier from "westcoastdeac." dude, what? you go to a private equity firm in SF and see people dressed like dan.

Dan's bosses told him not to go to nashville. Dan's bosses have also given him time (and every Journal employee) unpaid time off in the last 4 years.

Other media outlets (my employer included) have cut back sports coverage as well. WXII hasn't gone on the road for the NCAA's in almost a decade. They used to travel with the Big 4 and UNCG in the NCAA's.

Dan does a great job, so does John Dell.

Dan's bosses told him not to go to nashville. Dan's bosses have also given him time (and every Journal employee) unpaid time off in the last 4 years.

Other media outlets (my employer included) have cut back sports coverage as well. WXII hasn't gone on the road for the NCAA's in almost a decade. They used to travel with the Big 4 and UNCG in the NCAA's.

Dan does a great job, so does John Dell.

Unpaid time off? Out of curiosity, do you know how he is paid? I assumed, wrongly I guess, that he was an exempt employee or he was on some other type of contract that locked him into an annual salary. How does this work for beat writers?

I would guess he is salaried. The owners of the Journal furloughed their employees in the past to make up lost money. They were bought recently by Warren Buffets group, so we'll see what happens. I have noticed his articles in the Greensboro paper, so the N&R rarely sends reporters to WFU games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan's not great, but it's also a crappy beat. You can't expect much.

If we ever field teams worth covering, we may actually garner a couple beat writers from better newspapers. But until then...

Print media is a dying business. We are lucky to have Dan covering our games at all. Greensboro has maybe 1 sportswriter total

For reference, Charles Pierce, arguably America's greatest living sportswriter, appeared on national television dressed like this:

n_hayes_8brown_120922.video-260x195.jpg

Do better, AD plants.

Jesus...

Dan, if you're still reading this thread... you really shouldn't take this shit personally.

I like reading Dan's stuff. Always have. I don't agree with him sometimes and post to that effect when it happens. I think Dan's skin is thick enough to take whatever comes out on this board. He's been around.

Having said that, Dan, when you read this, go old school and proofread your articles and blog. #professional

I like reading Dan's stuff. Always have. I don't agree with him sometimes and post to that effect when it happens. I think Dan's skin is thick enough to take whatever t on this board. He's been around.

Ditto, but I'd like to think i have thick skin as well... (While my fashion sense has been publicly called into question, I maintain the fact that my early-90's WF Starter jacket is timeless)... discussing Dan's pay structure is WAY out of line.

If you had reason to believe an institution you financially support was paying him 7-figures, it would be an entirely different situation.

I agree 100% with Dan Collins' recent comments that Bz is not the right man for Wake and I appreciate the coverage Dan has provided Wake throughout the years.

However, should Dan take a look at his own performance and commitment?

I offer the following examples:

1. The quantity and quality of Dan's coverage may have fallen behind the coverage that John Dell gives to Winston-Salem State. If you have access to past articles, go back and make your own judgments.

2. Has Dan become complacent in preparing his articles?

For example, in his article prior to the Maryland game he stated that Wake's 13 straight home victory streak was snapped on Feb. 1 by Georgia Tech. In fact, the streak was snapped on Jan. 29 by Syracuse.

3. Finally, did Dan show a lack dedication to his job for the lack of coverage and concern for the Vandy football game?

Yes, I agree the game was probably meaningless to everyone except the players, coaches, and die-hard fans. However, the Journal and Dan made no effort to send our "beat-writer" to Nashviile. Also, Dan even stated that when the game started, he was raking leaves and only went inside to the TV when he was told the Deacs were playing a decent game. You would think, that Dan would have more respect for Coach Grobe and the players than to admit that he had no interest in even watching them on TV, much less traveling 6-7 hours to cover them in person.

I appreciate Dan's efforts to the objective of riding us of Bz and I am only suggesting that for him an introspective look may also not be a bad thing.

Please tell me this is either Bz or someone related to Bz who is trying to stir up trouble for Dan. Please....mods, anyway to give us a location. Would almost bet money this is coming from the university.

Who are the people that would do anything for Dan's job? His job fucking sucks. I haven't watched a basketball game in weeks because it's just too sad. He has to sit through that shit. I throw out pithy comments on this board about Wake sports. He has to put something professional together about Wake Forest Basketball and package it in a decent way. That would fucking suck.

Ditto, but I'd like to think i have thick skin as well... (While my fashion sense has been publicly called into question, I maintain the fact that my early-90's WF Starter jacket is timeless)... discussing Dan's pay structure is WAY out of line.

If you had reason to believe an institution you financially support was paying him 7-figures, it would be an entirely different situation.

Dirkreasoc? Whatever. The comment was made that Dan might have been forced to take unpaid leave. I asked a question. I don't think it was out of line at all. I was more interested in how reporters at struggling local papers are paid. It was not a dig in any way, shape or form at Dan. I'm not sure where you're coming from here. I don't care how much Dan makes. I'd like to have him around for a long time.

Please tell me this is either Bz or someone related to Bz who is trying to stir up trouble for Dan. Please....mods, anyway to give us a location. Would almost bet money this is coming from the university.

Spot on...

Back