• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Dan evaluate his own performance?

For reference, Charles Pierce, arguably America's greatest living sportswriter, appeared on national television dressed like this:

n_hayes_8brown_120922.video-260x195.jpg

Do better, AD plants.

better than Rick Reilly?

btw, charles pierce lost tremendous credibility when he feuded with bill simmons then meekly decided to take a grantland paycheck shortly thereafter. off the top of my head i'd put gary smith and thomas lake ahead of pierce, and a couple of others that i can't recall off the top of my head.

Regardless of how the Wake teams are or are not, it's Buzz's job to do a good job coaching them. But when he openly goes into a presser and is nothing but negative, throws his own players under the bus, and never admits his own failures, that's not doing his job the right way. He gets paid to do a job that most of us, myself included, would give anything to do - and he looks and acts like he couldn't care less. His attitude and the way he dresses (especially those ties)/carries himself speak volumes for his blatant lack of interest.
FIFY
PS- Fuck You Ron Wellman!

Don't get out of your seat for this shocker, but... Ph has a BOLD SPORTS TAKE about Disco Dan

yeah, I dont get the PHdeac hate

i like to make a donut joke here and there, but i would drink a pitcher (or 2) of cold beer with DC in a nano second

i like to make a donut joke here and there, but i would drink a pitcher (or 2) of cold beer with DC in a nano second

He makes the list of people associated with Wake sports that I'd like to get drunk enough that they'd spill their guts. Chill also on the list. And Stan Cotton.

I do not always agree with Dan Collins, but I appreciate what he does, and I've told him so. Plus, he's from Franklin, NC; so he's got that going for him. :)

I don't hate PhDeac, but PhDeac took something DC said to him very personally and has been an outspoken critic against him ever since.

btw, charles pierce lost tremendous credibility when he feuded with bill simmons then meekly decided to take a grantland paycheck shortly thereafter. off the top of my head i'd put gary smith and thomas lake ahead of pierce, and a couple of others that i can't recall off the top of my head.

Robert Lipsyte.

And a big shrug toward the Simmons "feud" and subsequently writing for Grantland. They're sportswriters, not conquistadors.

Last edited:

Dan Collins once sent PhDeac a PM seven years ago. It was a big deal or something.

Don't think Collins is worthy of being condemned, or praised either really.

At least we don't have that Frielander clown

I don't hate PhDeac, but PhDeac took something DC said to him very personally and has been an outspoken critic against him ever since.

That doesn't make any sense.

I was critical of Dan Collins because he used his column to public dismiss and disregard any criticisms of Lobo, Wellman, Grobe, and Bz.

Dan PM'd me about it because he took my posts personally. I think that's poor form for an opinion columnist for the local paper.

I'm glad Dan Collins for coming to his senses and realizing what he was clowning us for realizing years ago. I don't get why he gets so much support from this board for using his opinion column to be a public version of Section2, jason, and Chrispy.

I think sometimes you miss the factors involved in things like Disco Dan's job and why Boosters say the things they do in public.

I think sometimes you miss the factors involved in things like Disco Dan's job and why Boosters say the things they do in public.

I understand that he has to have a public face. He shouldn't have an opinion column if it gets in the way with being a beat writer. And even so, his opinions don't need to include pot shots at fans who dare to criticize the Wake brass.

And despite the public face, we are looking at Dan's last few columns taking it to [Redacted]. Dan's job hasn't changed. He'll still need access from the powers that be. Heck, Bz let him in practice after a scathing column. Obviously, he wouldn't be writing what he's writing now if it made it difficult for him to do his job.

Last edited:
I know this is a favored axe of yours to grind, Ph, but no one has cared about the separation between "opinion" and "news" (sports in this case) sections of media since Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe and new journalism broke through in the late 60s/70s. Just FYI. Take a look at the front page of ESPN if you don't believe me.

I know this is a favored axe of yours to grind, Ph, but no one has cared about the separation between "opinion" and "news" (sports in this case) sections of media since Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe and new journalism broke through in the late 60s/70s. Just FYI. Take a look at the front page of ESPN if you don't believe me.

Right. That supports my claim that his opinion column shouldn't hamper his ability to legitimately share his opinion without having to kiss ass.

Right. That supports my claim that his opinion column shouldn't hamper his ability to legitimately share his opinion without having to kiss ass.

No. It doesn't. It means you can't bitch and moan about a local beat writer not doing his job the way you'd want him to do it while bringing up an archaic separation that no longer has any purpose, either in function or form.

The archaic separation is exactly what Brews is talking about to justify Dan's misguided opinions over the years.

Back