• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Dan evaluate his own performance?

Yeah. You can tell he reads.

I think it's weird that this is seen as some personal thing with me and Dan. I think of him like I think of the Star News guy, Jay Williams, Len Elmore, anybody from ESPN3, and anybody else from the media who bold the AD party line. I'm shocked he gets a free pass from you all despite as Irish pointed out, the line between beat writer and opinion columnist has been blurred for awhile.

Your continued patting yourself on the back for supposedly realizing before anyone else that [Redacted] should be fired is nauseating. Dan is not a WFU fan. While he may want the individuals to succeed based on the relationships he has, and he may want WFU to do well to increase the exposure of his coverage, its not his job to be the first one shouting from the mountain about firing a coach in the 2nd year, absent discovering a serious violation.

Dan has seen and knows more about athletic departments, coaches, practices, players and everything that goes into successful programs than you will ever know. He's written 2 books on WFU and ACC basketball. I don't view his opinion over the past 4 years as holding the AD party line. I heard him on David Glenn 15 months ago talking about how bad the program was, how much shit Wellman was catching etc etc. He took a cautious wait and see approach, letting the situation play out rather than jumping on the first sign of a problem (as you always do) to justify firing a coach.

Congratulations on trying to prove how smart you are by being the first one to call for [Redacted]'s firing. If you were an AD, you would churn through coaches so fast you'd bankrupt the department in a year.

Your continued patting yourself on the back for supposedly realizing before anyone else that [Redacted] should be fired is nauseating. Dan is not a WFU fan. While he may want the individuals to succeed based on the relationships he has, and he may want WFU to do well to increase the exposure of his coverage, its not his job to be the first one shouting from the mountain about firing a coach in the 2nd year, absent discovering a serious violation.

Dan has seen and knows more about athletic departments, coaches, practices, players and everything that goes into successful programs than you will ever know. He's written 2 books on WFU and ACC basketball. I don't view his opinion over the past 4 years as holding the AD party line. I heard him on David Glenn 15 months ago talking about how bad the program was, how much shit Wellman was catching etc etc. He took a cautious wait and see approach, letting the situation play out rather than jumping on the first sign of a problem (as you always do) to justify firing a coach.

Congratulations on trying to prove how smart you are by being the first one to call for [Redacted]'s firing. If you were an AD, you would churn through coaches so fast you'd bankrupt the department in a year.
http://onthejon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/[Redacted].jpg

Who are the people that would do anything for Dan's job? His job fucking sucks. I haven't watched a basketball game in weeks because it's just too sad. He has to sit through that shit. I throw out pithy comments on this board about Wake sports. He has to put something professional together about Wake Forest Basketball and package it in a decent way. That would fucking suck.

Yeah, I would have to take a giant paycut to be away from my family every weekend. No thanks.

My favorite part of this is how PhDeac keeps saying Dan's comments were "unsolicited" when:

1) He repeatedly rephrases Dan's comments to fit his own arguments
2) Openly criticizes his articles and competency in a public forum where I'd guess 50% of his readership frequents.
3) Both PM's quoted are direct responses to things Ph said about Dan.
4) It's likely impossible to find a thread that mentions Dan Collins that does not have a critical response from Ph
5) With 35,000 posts you're easily one of the most outspoken fans on the internet for all things Wake Forest Sports

But a PM politely telling you he feels you're repeatedly misrepresenting his point is "unsolicted." Riiiiiiiiight.

And if you're wondering how people know you take it personally, see point #4 and your repeated personal comments about Dan. I mean, did you not just post if you were Dan Collins you'd ask for $25 and chicken on the jaybone betting thread?

Hey - feuding with a beat writer about not being critical enough about an Athletic Department is all well and good - it's pretty funny most of the time actually. But the superiority act just ruins it. You have to realize how transparent it is.

My favorite part of this is how PhDeac keeps saying Dan's comments were "unsolicited" when:

1) He repeatedly rephrases Dan's comments to fit his own arguments
2) Openly criticizes his articles and competency in a public forum where I'd guess 50% of his readership frequents.
3) Both PM's quoted are direct responses to things Ph said about Dan.
4) It's likely impossible to find a thread that mentions Dan Collins that does not have a critical response from Ph
5) With 35,000 posts you're easily one of the most outspoken fans on the internet for all things Wake Forest Sports

But a PM politely telling you he feels you're repeatedly misrepresenting his point is "unsolicted." Riiiiiiiiight.

And if you're wondering how people know you take it personally, see point #4 and your repeated personal comments about Dan. I mean, did you not just post if you were Dan Collins you'd ask for $25 and chicken on the jaybone betting thread?

Hey - feuding with a beat writer about not being critical enough about an Athletic Department is all well and good - it's pretty funny most of the time actually. But the superiority act just ruins it. You have to realize how transparent it is.
http://onthejon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/[Redacted].jpg

If I wanted a personal comment from Dan, I would post on his blog as others here apparently do. I don't care to engage him or feud with him or whatever. He's the only newspaper guy with an opinion column about Wake. I talk about what he says. He's a professional. He should expect that people will talk about his work.

The chicken stuff is a reference to how he refers to coaches luncheons as a chance to "talk sports and eat chicken" in his professional columns. That's not personal. Now if I had said "$25 and some donuts," you'd have a point. I assume that's a crack on his weight or appearance. Not sure. I don't think if I've ever referred to him as "Donut Dan" or "Disco Dan" as Marquee Moon and others do unless referring to somebody else's reference.

Tin, I don't know why you think it matters if he's a fan or not. He's a guy with an opinion who has been off base over the years. I've disagreed with his opinions. It's pretty obvious others have too given the joy over his latest columns taking Bz to task.

Last edited:
Ron Welman, Stan Cotton and Mark Freidinger react to Marquee's contribution to this thread.

NCAA-112712-1005-MBB.jpg

If I wanted a personal comment from Dan, I would post on his blog as others here apparently do. I don't care to engage him or feud with him or whatever. He's the only newspaper guy with an opinion column about Wake. I talk about what he says. He's a professional. He should expect that people will talk about his work.

The chicken stuff is a reference to how he refers to coaches luncheons as a chance to "talk sports and eat chicken" in his professional columns. That's not personal. Now if I had said "$25 and some donuts," you'd have a point. I assume that's a crack on his weight or appearance. Not sure. I don't think if I've ever referred to him as "Donut Dan" or "Disco Dan" as Marquee Moon and others do unless referring to somebody else's reference.

Tin, I don't know why you think it matters if he's a fan or not. He's a guy with an opinion who has been off base over the years. I've disagreed with his opinions. It's pretty obvious others have too given the joy over his latest columns taking Bz to task.

Quit while you're behind, brah.

He's a guy with an opinion who has been off base over the years. I've disagreed with his opinions. It's pretty obvious others have too given the joy over his latest columns taking Bz to task.

Beat writers rarely go after coaches hard while they are still employed. THAT'S why people love his latest columns; not because he has been off base and has finally seen the light Ph was trying to show him 3 years ago.

WTF can he write about right now? Dan will do a great job if we ever win consistently in a major sport again. Jeez guys he's fishing in a dry pond. We all are.

He jumped off the Bz bandwagon pretty fast despite being a pretty big defender up until the Tech game.

Back