• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Wellman Resign Effective Immediately?

Wellman Out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bz just compounded the Dino mistake.

Caldwell and Charlene Curtis are on this list as well. He's hired one of the worst coaches in Wake history in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

For the record, Wellman didn't hire Jen Averill.

He's also hired some of the best coaches in WF history. And supported many programs to reach heights that WF has never seen before. But i'm sure any AD could have done that.

He's also hired some of the best coaches in WF history. And supported many programs to reach heights that WF has never seen before. But i'm sure any AD could have done that.

Two.

It's a rather liberal use of "some" when you're describing a group of two. (for the record, I am counting Grobe and da Luz, although Walter and Bresky certainly show promise).

Which AD hired Vidovich?

Site says he's been at WF for 26 years, 18 as a head coach. I think Wellman has been at WF as an AD for 20 years so he didn't hire Vidovich originally but did hire him as the Head Coach. So Wellman has hired the best FB, Soccer (mens and women's) and possibly, Field Hockey (did he hire Averill? they have both been at WF 20 years according to the website), along with Skip and Walter. His hiring success speaks for it's self.

Most Wake football coaches have failed. Hiring Caldwell was a good risk. Hell, he ended up being the coach of the Colts.

Site says he's been at WF for 26 years, 18 as a head coach. I think Wellman has been at WF as an AD for 20 years so he didn't hire Vidovich originally but did hire him as the Head Coach. So Wellman has hired the best FB, Soccer (mens and women's) and possibly, Field Hockey (did he hire Averill? they have both been at WF 20 years according to the website), along with Skip and Walter. His hiring success speaks for it's self.

My understanding is that boosters essentially forced him to hire Vidovich as head coach. That could be incorrect.

He did not hire Averill. Wellman was hired after she was.

He has mixed success with hiring, but is very good with facilities.

Grobe, Skip, Deacon Tower, Soccer Championship, Field Hockey Championships, Groves scoreboard, Baseball stadium/scoreboard, impending Joel purchase, Tennis facilities, Golf facilities, growth of the DC, no major NCAA violations, serving on multiple boards/committees for the NCAA, etc all make that seem a little silly. The Bzz hire has been a catastrophic failure and may very well be worthy of his job ending, but to call his entire time catatrosphic is immensely misguided.

Personally, if Wellman can admit his mistake and make the firing, I'd like to see him stick around. He's done an excellent job in so many facets. I just don't think he should have 100% control of the hiring/firing process going forward.

This

Also, no.

There should be a hiring committee next time though.

It's a rather liberal use of "some" when you're describing a group of two. (for the record, I am counting Grobe and da Luz, although Walter and Bresky certainly show promise).

You forget Skip, who was a great hire and wound up being a good coach for Wake in every sense of the title

You forget Skip, who was a great hire and wound up being a good coach for Wake in every sense of the title

Would have loved to see how the 2008-2010 teams would have looked like with Skip in the wheelhouse. I have confidence that Skip would undoubtedly be on the good list if he had coached for another 3 years. As is, it just isn't worth the debate with people like Ref.

Grobe, Skip, Deacon Tower, Soccer Championship, Field Hockey Championships, Groves scoreboard, Baseball stadium/scoreboard, impending Joel purchase, Tennis facilities, Golf facilities, growth of the DC, no major NCAA violations, serving on multiple boards/committees for the NCAA, etc all make that seem a little silly. The Bzz hire has been a catastrophic failure and may very well be worthy of his job ending, but to call his entire time catatrosphic is immensely misguided.

Personally, if Wellman can admit his mistake and make the firing, I'd like to see him stick around. He's done an excellent job in so many facets. I just don't think he should have 100% control of the hiring/firing process going forward.

This. However, if he continues to stick with Bz when it's clear that he's wrong for the job the greater chance I think Wellman gets fired. I like Ron Wellman but I think finding the right person to be our basketball coach is HUGE and to date this is looks horrible. I think Wellman is fortunate the football program had a good season also.

I honestly don't expect Wellman to admit his mistake with Bzz, and frankly I don't even know that he should....if he simply takes the action necessary to get this basketball program back on track (fire Bzz, hire someone capable of rebuilding), that's enough for me.

I honestly don't expect Wellman to admit his mistake with Bzz, and frankly I don't even know that he should....if he simply takes the action necessary to get this basketball program back on track (fire Bzz, hire someone capable of rebuilding), that's enough for me.

That would be admitting his mistake. I don't expect a press conference where he literally says "Bzz was a bad hire," because that would be unclassy and inappropriate for an AD. The admittance will be in his actions.

Bz just compounded the Dino mistake.

Caldwell and Charlene Curtis are on this list as well. He's hired one of the worst coaches in Wake history in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

For the record, Wellman didn't hire Jen Averill.
Nor Diane Dailey

Ron knows how to build structures and facilities. He ain't worth a damn at picking coaching talent.

That would be admitting his mistake. I don't expect a press conference where he literally says "Bzz was a bad hire," because that would be unclassy and inappropriate for an AD. The admittance will be in his actions.

Exactly. I guess the bigger question is when, not if. The longer he persists with this failed Bzz experiment, the more it seems like he's unwilling to take responsibility for it and right the wrong (and thus, admitting the fuck up). I know RW is gonna stick by his old buddy Bzz for as long as possible, but these results are going to have to eventually force his hand....right?

I'll try to get some info on whether Buzz may resign. That IMO is our only option for an exit before 4 years.

Back