• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SI Grading the Coaching Hires: Wake gets B+ for Clawson

BarcaDeac

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140121/new-coach-hire-grades/?eref=sihp

Wake Forest: Dave Clawson, former Bowling Green head coach. Clawson has a reputation for turning programs around. Fordham (1999-04), Richmond ('04-'07) and Bowling Green ('09-'13) all improved and won conference championships during his tenures. At the first two stops, Clawson found success by recruiting nationally and focusing on academics, both of which he'll need to do at Wake. The one blip on his résumé? A disappointing stint as Tennessee's offensive coordinator in '08. Grade: B+

Judging from that list, they are tough graders.

I also think he failed to grade relative to program. How hard was it for Texas and Penn State to end up with really good coaches? I agree that Peterson should be the A+ considering they lost their old head coach to USC, yet somehow still upgraded.

Indeed- they seem very strict on those evaluations. I'd love to see what grade they would've given a Jeff [Redacted] hire.

I also think he failed to grade relative to program. How hard was it for Texas and Penn State to end up with really good coaches? I agree that Peterson should be the A+ considering they lost their old head coach to USC, yet somehow still upgraded.

Not to mention so many big programs have tried to hire Peterson recently (if rumors are to be believed). I like how they ding Peterson for Hawkins screwing up. Who was Hawkins OC when he was good at BSU?

Indeed- they seem very strict on those evaluations. I'd love to see what grade they would've given a Jeff [Redacted] hire.

belushi_in_animal_house.jpg

I'll be very happy if Clawson earns a B+ for his first full year at Wake

Having watched all the video from Clawson's opening presser to fan questions etc... The guy did a great job. I remember one meet and greet with Grobe and I had to help him remember the 6 linebackers we signed that year. Clawson is very sharp.

SI would not have given Buzz a grade. They only grade coaches.

A "G" for Gross dereliction of duty by Ronnie.

It may not be a bad thing that Clawson suffered a setback earlier in his career. He probably learned a lot in the process which is the important part. BG played like a bunch of killer bees against Pitt. They were tiny but kept fighting back. We will have too many holes to fill on offense but should do well under Clawson overall.

Back