• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SI story on Clawson hire

Typical Ron hiring based on the good ole buddy system...clawson has a terrible tack record. Our offense was the problem and Ron hires a guy who's past is filled with struggling offense. It's hard to be a wake fan, I am very disappointed in this hire, there are plenty of gray coaches out there, why do we keep settling...

Typical Ron hiring based on the good ole buddy system...clawson has a terrible tack record. Our offense was the problem and Ron hires a guy who's past is filled with struggling offense. It's hard to be a wake fan, I am very disappointed in this hire, there are plenty of gray coaches out there, why do we keep settling...

Terrible track record? They won the conference this year and are a borderline top 25 team.

So much dumb.

Gray coaches ?

I prefer a light ash gray over smoke or anything too metallic

I guess every fan base has people who are determined to gripe about everything.

(1) I loathe Wellman
(2) I would have preferred Lembo

But, come on, Clawson just won his conference's title against the #14 team in the country and showed a TON of energy and enthusiasm on the sideline. He also did not hesitate to raise hell with officials over calls.

We could have done far worse than Clawson. I think Clawson will renew some enthusiasm for the program. I am now, for the first time in years, looking forward to spring practice!

(1) I loathe Wellman
(2) I would have preferred Lembo

But, come on, Clawson just won his conference's title against the #14 team in the country and showed a TON of energy and enthusiasm on the sideline. He also did not hesitate to raise hell with officials over calls.

We could have done far worse than Clawson. I think Clawson will renew some enthusiasm for the program. I am now, for the first time in years, looking forward to spring practice!

this

Look at the offensive stats that have been posted. That's a legit concern. Look up the facts before you dismiss them.

+1. I'm pretty stoked about the spring game. Hopefully it will follow some semblance of a regular spring game this year.

showed a TON of energy and enthusiasm on the sideline. He also did not hesitate to raise hell with officials over calls.

LOL at this being a reason for liking a coach. Hey guys, Will Muschamp goes absolutely APESHIT on the sidelines AND in the locker room!!!! He punched a chalkboard!!! So much enthusiasm!! He must be a great coach! Oh wait, you mean he just coached the Gators to their worst season in over 30 years? Hmmm... well what about that Schiano guy??? He goes fuggin nuts all the time and yells at the refs!!! Oh wait, the Bucs are a fucking doormat under him?

I want a coach who can recruit, develop talent, and win football games. I don't give two shits what he does on the sidelines, I want to see our teams win. This whole sideline demeanor thing is so funny to me, funny because it's fucking stupid.

Look at the offensive stats that have been posted. That's a legit concern. Look up the facts before you dismiss them.

Wasn't BG the third ranked offense in the MAC this season with the first ranked defense in the MAC? I'm all for offensive proficiency, but the best Wake teams have been balanced teams. That's one of the things I like about Clawson.

Claussen's offense struggled in Knoxville as said, but in fairness he became the whipping boy for Fulmer on his way out and never had a chance- yet there was not much good about his OC year here. If defense is his forte, he just needs to be smart enough to get an OC who can do the job and give him the reins. We have minimal talent coming back on offense and no QB so it will be interesting next year but hard to evaluate. The defense is going to have to carry us best it can for a year or two. On the other hand, the concept, energy and execution on offense needs to be better than El Lobo mess from day one.

LOL at this being a reason for liking a coach. Hey guys, Will Muschamp goes absolutely APESHIT on the sidelines AND in the locker room!!!! He punched a chalkboard!!! So much enthusiasm!! He must be a great coach! Oh wait, you mean he just coached the Gators to their worst season in over 30 years? Hmmm... well what about that Schiano guy??? He goes fuggin nuts all the time and yells at the refs!!! Oh wait, the Bucs are a fucking doormat under him?

I want a coach who can recruit, develop talent, and win football games. I don't give two shits what he does on the sidelines, I want to see our teams win. This whole sideline demeanor thing is so funny to me, funny because it's fucking stupid.

Then spend the next five years hating the new coach. I really don't give a flying fuck what you think. He just won his conference title, AS I POSTED, and defeated the #14 team in the country.

I plan to support Clawson as our new coach until the need to do otherwise. Again, we could have done far worse.

There's a lot of room between a statue and Will Muschamp.

If we're in every damn game and win most of them, the statue works. Otherwise give me someone who at least looks like they care. Having a guy stand there completely motionless while we get the lights punched out of us is not a good look. Not a good look at all.

I posted most of this on the other thread, but it something that people need to consider.

Ability to rebuild is why I like him and am starting to like him more than Lembo.

The thing people need to realize about Lembo is that his best years at Elon he had the SoCon's all time leading receiver (not sure if the record still stands) who now plays for the Ravens and Hudgins (another top historical SoCon WR), who signed with the Cowboys. Scott Riddle, the QB for Lembo, is Elon's all time passing leader. I am sure his coaching helped, but having that kind of talent at Elon is a rare thing and none of these guys were players he recruited and he left at the end of their careers.

This year a BSU according to this depth chart http://ballstatesports.com/downloads2/695002.pdf Lembo's team this year started 10 seniors or juniors on offense and all 11 starters on defense fit that bill- none of which were recruiting by Lembo who was only in his third year. The only other starter was a sophomore, so all 22 were players he didn't recruit. Obviously the guy can coach and I think will do well, but he has never stayed anywhere long enough to make me believe he can built a program up- just that he can win with other coaches players. This would be fine and dandy if we currently had players and weren't in rebuilding mode. I just don't see the track record to make me feel confident he would have been the guy to right the ship.

This leads me to Clawson. Clawson is 90-80 all time as a head coach. The difference here is that Clawson has taken over teams that were turrible and righted the ship. His first year at Richmond they went 3-8. His last year they went 11-3 with players he recruited. At BG he started out stronger, but they had major academic issues under the previous coach, had to dismiss players etc. and the program tanked. He proved again that he can recruit what he needs and implement systems to fit personnel and 4 years later has led BG to a MAC Championship. It is this proven record of team building that makes me like him.

That said, the biggest red flag was his year as the OC at Tennessee in 2008, replacing Cutcliffe. That year the Vols had their worst offensive year in 30 years. There are, however, reasons that his concern can be tempered (i.e. the program was already in flames etc.)

Last edited:
Wasn't BG the third ranked offense in the MAC this season with the first ranked defense in the MAC? I'm all for offensive proficiency, but the best Wake teams have been balanced teams. That's one of the things I like about Clawson.

Yeah. This was his first great offense at BG. The main concern I have is that he can put together one great season every 4 or 5 years but can't consistently to what it takes from week to week.

Then spend the next five years hating the new coach. I really don't give a flying fuck what you think. He just won his conference title, AS I POSTED, and defeated the #14 team in the country.

I plan to support Clawson as our new coach until the need to do otherwise. Again, we could have done far worse.

Everybody does. We're all just learning more about him, the good, the bad, and the question marks.

Back